Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Allan Hill whose home is the Packard Plant on East Grand

Here in an interesting essay about a gentleman who is living in the Packard Plant. I wonder how common this is? Right after the count from Census 2010 was released, Mayor Bing spoke of challenging the count so as to adjust for net undercount. Nothing ever came of that but the Census Bureau regulations made it very difficult for local governments to challenge their counts.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/07/ga...ef=garden&_r=0

be interesting to contact the census and ask about counting the homeless.

why does the NYTimes have to come to detroit to interview the homeless?

While taking a coffee-break at the Starbucks in Midtown this afternoon and glancing at the NYT, I noticed this article. Although the details were kinda vague, it states that Mr. Hill is living there with the permission of the property's owner, and therefore not a squatter, or, technically, homeless. Just enjoying, let us say, "non-traditional domestic arrangements!"

He is not even living in the Packard Plant [[the building he is in is not a part of the actual available parcel and is owned by a completely different person)more so a building that once many years ago was considered part of the plant,so how interesting would the story be if you took that actual fact out of the picture,he would be considered just another homeless person in Detroit although very unique in his own way.

Just like the many stories about the last tenant,who by the way has stated that when they finish moving the rest of their equipment they will scrap what is left of in the space they currently occupy.

Love hate relationship,people love the plant for the bounty it provides free of charge but they hate the aftermath thier actions produce.
    Last edited by Richard; February-07-13 at 06:15 PM.

oh wow, can we please have ANOTHER recycling of this exact same story? this is what, the 4th or 5th version? its another one Detroitblog did first, which was then redone by several others including Jalopnik. and the last one of those iterations was at least a year ago[[?) way to keep up, NYT. pfft.

NOTHING HAS CHANGED since Carlisle wrote that story what, 3yrs ago now? Al still welds stuff, still speaks tersely, still lives amongst auto parts in a dank drafty factory blg, and still has a pet dog named Chainsaw. can we please have some originality in journalism for once? too much to ask?
    Last edited by WaCoTS; February-07-13 at 07:09 PM.

I loved the article. Thanks for posting renf. WaCoTS, why are your panties in a bunch? I never saw version 1 through 3, and Mr. Hill, as the NYT respectfully refers to him is a real Detroiter.

Quote Originally Posted by WaCoTS View Post
    oh wow, can we please have ANOTHER recycling of this exact same story? this is what, the 4th or 5th version? its another one Detroitblog did first, which was then redone by several others including Jalopnik. and the last one of those iterations was at least a year ago[[?) way to keep up, NYT. pfft.

NOTHING HAS CHANGED since Carlisle wrote that story what, 3yrs ago now? Al still welds stuff, still speaks tersely, still lives amongst auto parts in a dank drafty factory blg, and still has a pet dog named Chainsaw. can we please have some originality in journalism for once? too much to ask?
    I was going to say the same thing. Isn't this the 4th or 5th story written on THE SAME GUY?

Reporting the same known recycled information is something my buddy who runs the Motor City Muckraker blog is a pro at doing.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    WaCoTS, why are your panties in a bunch? I never saw version 1 through 3, and Mr. Hill, as the NYT respectfully refers to him is a real Detroiter.
    it'd be the same as if a paper "broke" the story tomorrow morning that Dennis Archer is no longer mayor, or that Hudson's is going to be demolished.

gimme a break dude.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    WaCoTS, why are your panties in a bunch? I never saw version 1 through 3, and Mr. Hill, as the NYT respectfully refers to him is a real Detroiter.
    C'mon now. I'm guessing you didn't read the last 3 stories/articles written on the same exact guy?

Is the author of this piece even aware that this topic and person has already been covered extensively IN GREAT DETAIL? What is the point of recycling this story again? A quick Google search will bring you to other versions, including the original Detroitblog piece from several years ago. I don't like or respect lazy journalists.

Of all the beautiful homes and story-worthy rooms in Detroit, this is what makes the NYTs Homes and Gardens section.