Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default CPL Holder Defends Self and Students at DPS High School.

I remember hearing a bit about this shooting a few days ago. For some reason it didn't get much coverage and since it took place at a high school and involved students, that seemed a bit strange. Now I understand why.

"Police say the teens "announced a holdup" and grabbed the coach by his chain necklace and stuck something in his chest. The girls ran as the 70-year-old coach, who is also a reserve police officer, struggled with the teens.

A source tells 7 Action News that on surveillance video, the coach is seen struggling with the teens and then when he is able to get some distance between himself and them, he pulls out his gun and fires at the teens, striking both of them."

Good for him, he did exactly what he was supposed to do as a responsible CPL holder. Thugs should take note, people won't take their $hit anymore and they are arming themselves and will use their weapon if need be. To protect my loved ones or myself, I will do the same.

Yes, that whole scene was very tragic. Everyone has an opinion on it... the mother of the boy who died is claiming that her son was unjustly killed.

The boy shot dead did not have the gun, allegedly, yet he was part of the assault and took the fatal bullet as his accomplice that had the gun is still in the hospital in serious condition. If you 'duel-up' to rob a person with a gun you must know that it can be life ending - rather you have the gun or not.

As I've said before teens are getting increasingly involved in more violent offenses - robbing, and brandishing guns. This outcome was inevitable.

GUSHI Guest

Were was the mother, why is her son roaming the streets of Detroit at night, she is the one who gets some of the blame.

It's now coming out that the teen Scott killed in this robbery attempt had just recently gotten into trouble...

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/20...g-is-justified

From Fox:

The coach was questioned, gave a statement and was released Friday night.
    Police believe this is a justifiable shooting, but a warrant has been handed over to the Wayne County Prosecutor who will make a final ruling.

The weapon the teens allegedly had was not recovered. Fox 2 has learned the Scott was arrested for armed robbery of a Jets pizza in December and was expected to go to trial next month.

The other teen who was shot remains in critical condition.

We're told Detroit Police do not plan to pursue the fact that the coach, who was a CPL holder and police reservist, had a gun on school property. It's unclear if DPS plans to take any action.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-05-13 at 09:40 AM.

These young men obviously chose the wrong career path, guess they didn't fully understand the occupational risks of robbing people at gun point. Just think of all the potential future victims that have been saved due to the quick acting coach defending himself and taking out one of the bad guys. This could have easily ended up with one dead coach over a gold necklace.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    It's now coming out that the teen Scott killed in this robbery attempt had just recently gotten into trouble...

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/20...g-is-justified

From Fox:

The coach was questioned, gave a statement and was released Friday night.
    Police believe this is a justifiable shooting, but a warrant has been handed over to the Wayne County Prosecutor who will make a final ruling.

The weapon the teens allegedly had was not recovered. Fox 2 has learned the Scott was arrested for armed robbery of a Jets pizza in December and was expected to go to trial next month.

The other teen who was shot remains in critical condition.

We're told Detroit Police do not plan to pursue the fact that the coach, who was a CPL holder and police reservist, had a gun on school property. It's unclear if DPS plans to take any action.
    I saw this child's family on TV stating that he was a good and quiet child and how they couldn't believe that he was being accused of robbing anyone.
    If I have to hear this crock of bull from one more family member of a criminal I think I'm going to puke!!
    He was going to trial in a month for armed robbery!! Why was he even out anyway???!!!! What if that poor coach had died at the hands of these "good kids"?
    Last edited by getmoore; February-05-13 at 10:33 AM.

^^^ I hear you but I then I also hear folks say the 'teen' died over a gold necklace. Like the man should not have been wearing it. It's crazy!

Yes, that whole scene was very tragic. Everyone has an opinion on it... the mother of the boy who died is claiming that her son was unjustly killed.
    Just goes to prove that when mom is stupid, so go the kids. Apples don't fall far from the tree. What we are seeing, and I've heard this from more than one Detroit Cop is that today's kids were raised by parents that cared more about the crackpipe than the child. Our inability to keep coke off the streets 20-25 years ago has come to bite us in the butt.

Quote Originally Posted by getmoore View Post
    I saw this child's family on TV stating that he was a good and quiet child and how they couldn't believe that he was being accused of robbing anyone.
    If I have to hear this crock of bull from one more family member of a criminal I think I'm going to puke!!
    He was going to trial in a month for armed robbery!! Why was he even out anyway???!!!! What if that poor coach had died at the hands of these "good kids"?
    On the other hand, WXYZ had the brother of Scott on their broadcast, and while he said it didn't sound like his brother or something he would do, he mentioned that if it is true that it is all on video, facts are facts and essentially that would be good enough for him.

This is the definition of gun control.

It is sad that anyone lost a life but i would rather see the bad guy die 10 times out of 10.

^^^ I hear you but I then I also hear folks say the 'teen' died over a gold necklace. Like the man should not have been wearing it. It's crazy!
    The man had every right to wear 10 gold necklaces, my point was how ignorant the kid criminal was to risk his life with a gun in his hand willing to take the life of another man over a frickin gold necklace, how little value this 16 year old punk placed on life over material possessions...all he thought about was "I'm gonna git mines fool...check it in" well luckily he got his in the form of lesser value metal...a slug.
    Last edited by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83; February-05-13 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    Good for him, he did exactly what he was supposed to do as a responsible CPL holder. Thugs should take note, people won't take their $hit anymore and they are arming themselves and will use their weapon if need be. To protect my loved ones or myself, I will do the same.
    Can a CPL holder carry on school grounds in DPS?

Also note no comments from the gun-control wing. I think the OP was asking why this incident isn't being given more coverage as an example of how more guns can make schools safer rather than more dangerous -- at least if you're not a robber.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Can a CPL holder carry on school grounds in DPS?

Also note no comments from the gun-control wing. I think the OP was asking why this incident isn't being given more coverage as an example of how more guns can make schools safer rather than more dangerous -- at least if you're not a robber.
    As a CPL holder, I know that I cannot carry on school property. However, this coach was also a reserve DPD officer and I am not sure what the law is in that case. If he was open carrying [[gun in sight), I also am not quite sure what laws apply there. It seems like open carry is more flexible than concealed.

It was curious to have two of these stories in one day, too. I almost started a thread, and would've titled it "Banner Day for the NRA".

They HAVE been diluted by the media, though. Where is the screaming, the crying, the hollering...maybe those who own weapons merely for their self-defense need to get a little louder about the right to do so.

And the right to have them ready to use, on your person, at any time and in any place you feel the need to carry. Just like this fine, wise, older gentleman did.

Sincerely,
    John

As a part of the "gun control wing" I'll say this:

I respect his right to hold. I have no problems with what he did. It'll be up to DPS if he was in violation of their own rules by having the gun on school grounds.

But there needs to be "controls". People shouldn't be allowed to carry and buy firearms willy nilly.

-I believe in thorough background checks done in a reasonable time
    -I believe in mandatory training in using a gun
    -I don't think the general public needs to be able to buy military grade assault weapons.

The boy shot dead did not have the gun, allegedly, yet he was part of the assault and took the fatal bullet as his accomplice that had the gun is still in the hospital in serious condition. If you 'duel-up' to rob a person with a gun you must know that it can be life ending - rather you have the gun or not.
    Had the coach been shot and killed, the boy without the gun would likely still have been guilty of felony murder [[participating in a felony in which someone dies, even if one wasn't directly involved in the killing).

Yep. I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post
    The man had every right to wear 10 gold necklaces, my point was how ignorant the kid criminal was to risk his life with a gun in his hand willing to take the life of another man over a frickin gold necklace, how little value this 16 year old punk placed on life over material possessions...all he thought about was "I'm gonna git mines fool...check it in" well luckily he got his in the from of lesser value metal...a slug.

In favor of gun control here, too, and agree with Sturge's points but I would take it a step further and assess responsibility for gun violence on the user, owner, and seller of the gun. In the case of the lawful CPL owner who kills someone, the responsibility starts with him and the other person who has a gun. In this case, if it is rule justifiable homicide on the part of the coach, the full responsibility will fall on the other gun carrier, whoever owned the gun, if not him, and whoever sold the gun for letting it into the wrong hands.

The trouble with a background check on just the person who is buying the gun is that it misses people in the household who would not be able to buy a gun, as in the case of the Newtown killer.

Quote Originally Posted by sturge View Post

I respect his right to hold. I have no problems with what he did. It'll be up to DPS if he was in violation of their own rules by having the gun on school grounds.

But there needs to be "controls". People shouldn't be allowed to carry and buy firearms willy nilly.

-I don't think the general public needs to be able to buy military grade assault weapons.
    Agreed. And I'm not part of the "gun control wing". But we can be reasonable.

These do happen [[With the exception of the gun show loophole, which I am open to closing)

This already is law.

The general public cannot buy military grade weapons, never could. The "AR" rifles you see are the same as my hunting rifles but they are simply "tricked out" to look cooler but they all function the same. NO difference.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    In favor of gun control here, too, and agree with Sturge's points but I would take it a step further and assess responsibility for gun violence on the user, owner, and seller of the gun. In the case of the lawful CPL owner who kills someone, the responsibility starts with him and the other person who has a gun. In this case, if it is rule justifiable homicide on the part of the coach, the full responsibility will fall on the other gun carrier, whoever owned the gun, if not him, and whoever sold the gun for letting it into the wrong hands.

The trouble with a background check on just the person who is buying the gun is that it misses people in the household who would not be able to buy a gun, as in the case of the Newtown killer.
    Accountability is fine up to a point. Are you saying that the orginal seller of the weapon should be held accountable for what happened in CT? If so, that effectively is total gun control as NO person would go into the gun selling business knowing that they could be liable for a crime by simply selling a gun legally.

I guess nobody did a background check on these kids or gave them some mandatory training when they sold them the gun ?!?!? Now what Mr. Gun Control?

I'm glad that the 70 year old protected himself, and didn't allow himself to become a victim. The people of Detroit need to use this as an example of how to handle criminals, regardless of age.

Teens need to learn that there are consequences for their actions. This will prove as an example of what would happen if u go down the wrong road.

I may have voted for Obama, but when it comes to gun control, he needs to spend a few days in Detroit. I'm pretty sure that he will change his opinion should he walk around Detroit late at night without a security detail.

Yep! The rules on the books need to be further enforced. And Detroiters best not forget where we live when it comes to following this administration around every corner it may want to take us!

Politicians and lawmakers always come up with ideas, policy and mandates of which they will be exempt!

Quote Originally Posted by Tig3rzhark View Post
    I may have voted for Obama, but when it comes to gun control, he needs to spend a few days in Detroit. I'm pretty sure that he will change his opinion should he walk around Detroit late at night without a security detail.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-05-13 at 01:46 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast