Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default One of Malice Green's killers [Larry Nevers] is dead.

I was in kindergarten/1st grade at Lynch Annex when I first heard of this story.

Judging by comments under the article I truly live in a different world than most suburbanites around here. And I want no piece of it.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    I was in kindergarten/1st grade at Lynch Annex when I first heard of this story.

Judging by comments under the article I truly live in a different world than most suburbanites around here. And I want no piece of it.
    RIP Larry Nevers, a good cop caught in a bad situation.

I am so sick of the race bating in today's culture. Back in my troubled youth I had a strung out crackhead jump me in the Brightmoor neighborhood.. I only wish I would've had a Mag-Light to beat him with after all he had his superhuman crackhead strength and I had my two fist. I don't blame Nevers one bit.. I blame the most blame worthy people all the race baiters like Coleman Young, Jessie Jackson, The "Reverend" Al Sharpton, etc.. People who only see the world out of a prism of color. People like that are the biggest reason Nevers went down. He was White so he musta been "Raaaacissst" [[Rolling my eyes). Not that Green was a super charged Crackhead criminal that tried to disarm him. I wish Detroit would have more police willing to defend the City.. Maybe I would return from my self imposed exile in Lansing to the Motor City. As it is I'm staying where a cop will thankfully still respond to a call in under 24 hrs.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamkir View Post
    I am so sick of the race bating in today's culture. Back in my troubled youth I had a strung out crackhead jump me in the Brightmoor neighborhood.. I only wish I would've had a Mag-Light to beat him with after all he had his superhuman crackhead strength and I had my two fist. I don't blame Nevers one bit.. I blame the most blame worthy people all the race baiters like Coleman Young, Jessie Jackson, The "Reverend" Al Sharpton, etc.. People who only see the world out of a prism of color. People like that are the biggest reason Nevers went down. He was White so he musta been "Raaaacissst" [[Rolling my eyes). Not that Green was a super charged Crackhead criminal that tried to disarm him. I wish Detroit would have more police willing to defend the City.. Maybe I would return from my self imposed exile in Lansing to the Motor City. As it is I'm staying where a cop will thankfully still respond to a call in under 24 hrs.
    He killed a man for not opening his hand and a jury of his peers sent him to jail accordingly.

He's not a hero he's a disgrace to his profession, and one of the many ugly stains this city has to wear on it's history.

He killed a man for not opening his hand and a jury of his peers sent him to jail accordingly.

He's not a hero he's a disgrace to his profession, and one of the many ugly stains this city has to wear on it's history.
    I agree. Who in their right mind defends this guy? He killed Green and although it took a while, he finally got his.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    I agree. Who in their right mind defends this guy? He killed Green and although it took a while, he finally got his.
    I think it should go without saying that all people should be judged as individuals and noone appreciates being lumped into a group.

But there is a segment of society [[white, male, usually older) that I just do not understand. They are usually the quickest to label other people irresponsible, state they need to denounce the wrongdoing of those that share their race or culture, and state racism only exists because black people haven't yet "got over it".

But in the same breath will bend over backwards to defend the indefensible when someone that looks like them does some blatant demonic bullshit.

I think it should go without saying that all people should be judged as individuals and noone appreciates being lumped into a group.

But there is a segment of society [[white, male, usually older) that I just do not understand. They are usually the quickest to label other people irresponsible, state they need to denounce the wrongdoing of those that share their race or culture, and state racism only exists because black people haven't yet "got over it".
    Yeah, we should judge people on an individual basis [[Except white males of course, they're racists ) .

But in the same breath will bend over backwards to defend the indefensible when someone that looks like them does some blatant demonic bullshit.
    I can feel your angst. Your feeling that a certain demographic cannot see a reality other than their own. That is a burden. A heavy load that renders folk unable to reach across the gulf that separate young from old and black from white.

but you have a vision. You are a leader.

So lead.

Write an obit for Nevers that can help cross the gulf that separates people from each other. Write a piece that shows you have the will and the ability to touch a side different from your own.

i don't think you will, because I don't think you can.

prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Who defends this guy? Anyone who truly believes in justice.

I don't know Nevers. And I wasn't in the situation he was in.

What I do know is that this was a highly politicized case where truth mattered less than the prejudices of all involved.

Its possible he was a rogue cop who was brutalizing innocents.

Its possible he was a good cop who chose to dive headstrong into a really dangerous world to serve and protect citizens who don't want crack in their hood.

Truth's probably somewhere inbetween.

I don't know the truth. And you likely don't either.

I grew up in that area, which was always a bit rough and it was a further stain to the neighborhood and decent folks trying to strive to stay there. You heard all kinds of things from both sides. From some there was even talk that the whole area was nothing but thieves and dope-heads worthy of a nuclear leveling etc.

Cheering commentary as my parents had property nearby, along with many friends and other family members.

For some this will in some part close a chapter to an event that went very political with many moving parts that seemed to satisfy several agendas.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-04-13 at 12:44 PM.

I wonder why Malice didn't just give it up? You've got to be pretty jacked to loose your life over a gram of cheap coke.

I personally knew Larry Nevers and believe me he was an outstanding police officer. I will not get into the detail involving his case other then to say a lot of politics played into the case. There is much that the public will never know regarding the case. He truly believed in Detroit and served it proudly until that fateful day.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I wonder why Malice didn't just give it up? You've got to be pretty jacked to loose your life over a gram of cheap coke.
    Why didn't they just stop beating him over the head with their flashlight?

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    Why didn't they just stop beating him over the head with their flashlight?
    You think THAT's why he didn't open his hand?

Maybe it was rigamortis.

Often, a drugged up person doesn't respond to pain.

Green apparently decided what was in his hand was more important to keep concealed than whatever pain was making it past his drug-filled veins.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Often, a drugged up person doesn't respond to pain.

Green apparently decided what was in his hand was more important to keep concealed than whatever pain was making it past his drug-filled veins.
    It doesn't matter what he was holding. He's not the one who made the decision to bash him over the head repeatedly with a flashlight. That's the person who made the decision that ultimately led to Green's death. And that's why that person was charged with and convicted of murder.

Why does it matter why he didn't open his hand. He had a right to due process that was denied.

Why does it matter why he didn't open his hand. He had a right to due process that was denied.
    Next time I resist arrest on a head full of coke, we'll see how far it gets me. I'll also totally ignore and refuse to cooperate with the police. Of course your results may differ.

I never thought of Nevers as simply a racist renegade cop, just as I never thought Green as only a useless crack head. I said once that I'd probably rather have Nevers as a next door neighbor than Green. I don't think Never would attack me without provocation and beat my head in, but I would expect a crack head to break into my house if he lived next door.

Having said that, the case always seemed pretty simple to me. Budzyn and Nevers made an arrest, and overreacted during the arrest, beating a man to death. Green was not a big guy hyped up on PCP, with superhuman strength and pain resistance. He was a crack addict who happened to be a small guy that the two police officers appeared to have under control long before they stopped hitting him. They were tried and convicted and utilized the appeals process afforded them by law. They got new trials and were found guilty of involuntary manslaughter.

As far as outside forces influencing the proceedings, there were plenty of outside forces in support of the police officers, as well. The County prosecutors of Oakland and Macomb joined efforts to support the officers, as did media members, such as Rich Fisher of Channel 2.

Overall, a sad chapter in the history of Detroit, with many losers and no winners.

Due process?

Due process starts with compliance with the reasonable requests of police officers. When you are being detained by the police, they have a responsibility to treat you properly. And you have a responsibility to comply with reasonable requests. After that, you can take it up with the court. But when you're detained, you comply.

I found it odd that this case got all the attention back when crooked cops were beating, robbing and killing mofos across the city all the time. They were even involved in hits/murders and importing guns and drugs into Detroit. Chief Hart, Sgt James Harris, Bill Rice, etc... But those other cases by these high profiles city officials, cops and kin of the mayor were covered up. It was a joke to see coleman come out and criticize Nevers when coleman's close friends and family were out there importing coke, selling crack and dealing in guns on the streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Motor City Sam View Post
    I never thought of Nevers as simply a racist renegade cop, just as I never thought Green as only a useless crack head. I said once that I'd probably rather have Nevers as a next door neighbor than Green. I don't think Never would attack me without provocation and beat my head in, but I would expect a crack head to break into my house if he lived next door.

Having said that, the case always seemed pretty simple to me. Budzyn and Nevers made an arrest, and overreacted during the arrest, beating a man to death. Green was not a big guy hyped up on PCP, with superhuman strength and pain resistance. He was a crack addict who happened to be a small guy that the two police officers appeared to have under control long before they stopped hitting him. They were tried and convicted and utilized the appeals process afforded them by law. They got new trials and were found guilty of involuntary manslaughter.

As far as outside forces influencing the proceedings, there were plenty of outside forces in support of the police officers, as well. The County prosecutors of Oakland and Macomb joined efforts to support the officers, as did media members, such as Rich Fisher of Channel 2.

Overall, a sad chapter in the history of Detroit, with many losers and no winners.
    In the OP I stated I was really too young to get all the specifics of the case at the time, but this is 99.99% my feelings on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Motor City Sam View Post

Back in the day, I spoke with 2 police officers that were called to a building break in. The perp, jacked up on what later was identified as PCP, decided to run down a flight of stairs and attack the 2 police officers with a stick. After several shouts to the perp, they aimed and fired, no effect. 6 revolver shells, and a 9 round clip later, he finally landed @ their feet, after grabbing one of the officers. Malice Green was no saint. Budzyn and Nevers no sinners. It was a horrible tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Due process?

Due process starts with compliance with the reasonable requests of police officers. When you are being detained by the police, they have a responsibility to treat you properly. And you have a responsibility to comply with reasonable requests. After that, you can take it up with the court. But when you're detained, you comply.
    Are you serious? Police officers are not authorized to use deadly force just because you are not in compliance with their orders. That's ridiculous.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast