Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default What Did You Do When The Lights Went Out?

OK, be truthful now. If you watched last night's SuperDuperBowl, what did you DO during that wonderful additional 35-minute intermission? Were you surprised afterward to find out it had been so long, or so short, a duration of time? Were you able to leave the room comfortably, or were you stuck to the screen?

This is an honest poll. I have some curiosities about this event.

At halftime I stopped watching. Turned it back on mid third quarter.

I played a round of pinochle with my fiancee

Watched the whole thing. Fascinating to see what people are doing to entertain you under stress, and making a mess off it.

flicked around the other channels, played fetch with my cat

Watched the whole miserable thing. Those announcers sucked, but I enjoyed the commercials

Watched Jim Jefferies and ate Jets pizza.

OK, so finally someone remained to watch any commercials. I wonder if they played the ones scheduled for the time slot, or do they guarantee placement during a particular period in the game...or were some stuck in that black hell?!

I'm still laughing at how the Gold-diggers caught up close enough to have Baltimore volunteer just enough points to cover Vegas' spread. I hope this is evidence enough to some of you true believers that the NFL is for entertainment purposes only. Reality TV, scripted for your rapturous pleasure.

Don't get me wrong, I watched the whole thing, too. Except for our newfound hopefully-made-traditional 35-minute intermission from the spectacle. I did find it refreshing, and perhaps DUE to it I was able to stay until the very end.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Gannon; February-06-13 at 11:01 PM.

But I am surprised, I expected to find more people who were glued to the screen, not believing it had ONLY been a half hour. For some, it must've been painful.

Only other time I ever experienced an NFL game stopped for so long was when Eric Utley was injured in the Silverdome.

I went to a non-Superbowl party where everyone else was a Democratic Party activist. We had a delightful potluck, good conversation, and beer. When I came home, I was surprised to find that the game was still on.

The day before the Superbowl power failure, there was a power failure at a big soccer game in England causing the floodlights to go out there too for anyone who appreciates coincidence.
    http://sports.terra.com/soccer/roone...ceb0aRCRD.html

Oh no. Thanks! That was all I needed to see at the start of my day.

Cheers

Watched it on and off until the power outage, then did housework for a while. Started watching again with 5 minutes left in the 4th.

No party this year, but we did break open a box of Schuler's bagel chips and cheese dip.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    But I am surprised, I expected to find more people who were glued to the screen, not believing it had ONLY been a half hour. For some, it must've been painful.

Only other time I ever experienced an NFL game stopped for so long was when Eric Utley was injured in the Silverdome.
    Mike Utley. I was at that game. It was my first [[and only up until last year).

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Watched it on and off until the power outage, then did housework for a while. Started watching again with 5 minutes left in the 4th.

No party this year, but we did break open a box of Schuler's bagel chips and cheese dip.
    Man, YOU know how to live!

"Devastating" humor Honky Tonk.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Man, YOU know how to live!
    Warren Buffet's favorite breakfast is combining two sausage egg McMuffins into a "Big Macmuffin" sandwich.

That's how I roll

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Mike Utley. I was at that game. It was my first [[and only up until last year).
    Damn. Do you remember how QUIET the Silverdome was until they finally got that damn ambulance into the stadium?!

My first game was a Thanksgiving against the Rams, I had gotten the chicken pox and didn't know it. We were in the upper deck, and it was hot and somewhat smoky, back in the 70s right about when the new stadium opened. I was hot and uncomfortable and a bit itchy...but didn't let that get in the way of enjoying them lose that game. Got home to find I'd broken out in the pox, lord knows how many people I might've infected.

Cheers...something about those first games.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    I went to a non-Superbowl party where everyone else was a Democratic Party activist.
    So you were at a party where the lights were on but nobody was home?

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Damn. Do you remember how QUIET the Silverdome was until they finally got that damn ambulance into the stadium?!

My first game was a Thanksgiving against the Rams, I had gotten the chicken pox and didn't know it. We were in the upper deck, and it was hot and somewhat smoky, back in the 70s right about when the new stadium opened. I was hot and uncomfortable and a bit itchy...but didn't let that get in the way of enjoying them lose that game. Got home to find I'd broken out in the pox, lord knows how many people I might've infected.

Cheers...something about those first games.
    I was pretty young, but I do remember the silence. A lot of confusion in the stands, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    So you were at a party where the lights were on but nobody was home?
    Across the aisle, they were all wearing white hoods.