Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default String robberies hit Detroit businesses

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/i...u/-/index.html

Sad, the robbers are getting younger and younger....

It amazes me how in denial store owners are. First, nobody in this day and age, operating a store should open the store from the front; do they have a BACK entrance? They should be armed when opening the door to the store. Second, why are store owners still not demanding with a front door sign that ALL HOODYS AND HATS BE REMOVED? If I had a business knowing there's a string of robberies, Hoods would be removed before you get in my store, so the surveil camera can get a look. That's the same for banks. Hoodies and hats walk into banks all the time and nobody tells them to remove them!
    Last edited by Chicago48; February-04-13 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    It amazes me how in denial store owners are. First, nobody in this day and age, operating a store should open the store from the front; do they have a BACK entrance? They should be armed when opening the door to the store. Second, why are store owners still not demanding with a front door sign that ALL HOODS AND HATS BE REMOVED? If I had a business knowing there's a string of robberies, Hoods would be removed before you get in my store, so the surveil camera can get a look. That's the same for banks. Hoodies and hats walk into banks all the time and nobody tells them to remove them!
    Absolutely. This is all the storeowners fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Absolutely. This is all the storeowners fault.
    I dunno. The hat and hoodie manufacturers have to share at least a portion of the blame. Doncha think?!

And the Federal Reserve Bank.

They make the controversial notes in the first place.

A CVS near me has a hand-written sign on the door that all 'hoodies' must be pulled down off your head when you come in. Once the ACLU finds about this the store will have to stop the unofficial 'policy'!

I think CVS is safe for a while, the ACLU has better sources for their drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    A CVS near me has a hand-written sign on the door that all 'hoodies' must be pulled down off your head when you come in. Once the ACLU finds about this the store will have to stop the unofficial 'policy'!
    A store can tell you to remove hats and hoods if they want. There's no law saying they can't unless its religious coverings then maybe. The ACLU would never bother. None of those clothing items assists one in navigating a retail store or purchasing items.
    Last edited by wolverine; February-04-13 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    None of those clothing items assists one in navigating a retail store or purchasing items.
    They work great hiding one's face from prying camera's though.

This thread is not at all what I expected. I thought that all of the string was getting stolen.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    This thread is not at all what I expected. I thought that all of the string was getting stolen.
    [[snare drum)

Another day in paradise!

The most amazing thing in that video is SNOW! We dont have snow in any city of Australia

Would/nt it be nice to see 8200 Mack pictures with snow capped!

Cheers

You're driving me nuts with this "8200" crap! I can't drive by it anymore without thinking "Oh yeah, Aussie wanted pictures of it. From the outside, it really does look clean, compare to the usual abandoned buildings in Detroit. As far as snow, I can send you a can or 2, if you'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    You're driving me nuts with this "8200" crap! I can't drive by it anymore without thinking "Oh yeah, Aussie wanted pictures of it. From the outside, it really does look clean, compare to the usual abandoned buildings in Detroit. As far as snow, I can send you a can or 2, if you'd like.
    Very keen!

Thanks in anticipation!

Cheers

A store can tell you to remove hats and hoods if they want. There's no law saying they can't unless its religious coverings then maybe. The ACLU would never bother. None of those clothing items assists one in navigating a retail store or purchasing items.
    I work for a Chgo community college and EVERYBODY including girls have to remove hats and hoodies.
    It's a no brainer.

This so sad , I know these things can happen in any city anywhere in the country , but in Detroit it's seems to happen more often than nearly anywhere I've been or live.
    In the five years I've been back, after 30 years away, I've never seen it this bad . This is a breakdown in families and basic respect and values and I'm not sure how to turn it back around ? This shines a bright light on what's happening in a large part of the city.
    Perhaps one way of avoiding this might be to go with ATM/Debt/Bridge cards?
    This might sound strange but it would be much safer , just take the cash element out of it .I know not everyone has cards but in this day and age more people than ever go with out cash. The only time I use cash is at places to eat.

Over the holidays I shop at the new Moosejaw in downtown Detroit and they don't even take cash ,only ATM/Debit cards.
    when they[[MooseJaw) announce they were going to be downtown I was wondering how are they going to take the cash element out of the minds of would be bad guys.
    I know that is a sad way of thinking , and prior to moving to Detroit I would have NEVER thought like this ,but after living here for the past 5 years I've sadly given into the new normal way of Detroit thinking.
    Anyone who has lived here any amount of time has been touched by this "new normal" even if they wont' admit it . Every time you go to a gas station ,"party store", Bank, Nearly any Mc Donalds, Burger King , Taco Bell ,Coney Islands ect, you have been touch with this way of living and this is the" new normal "we all deal with :-[[.
    I know not every dinning place has bullet proof glass, a lot of the new places downtown /Midtown/ Corktown ,ect don't .
    I just hope this isn't the "new normal "

When I was younger and would come to Detroit I would remember visiting and notice year after year it would get worse and worse . I would come back year after year and think WOW why do these people put up with this? , talking to people through bullet proof glass ?
    what have we come to that we have to order food through bullet proof glass and shove the money under the glass ? WTF?
    I have relatives that live in the Burbs that won't come into the city to eat for that reason .
    Is this the new normal ?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    This so sad, Is this the new normal ?
    Why yes, yes, it is. I too have family in the 'burbs, that haven't set foot in the City in 35 years, and have no intention of doing so. Same story with coworkers. As far as plastic money, there have been incidents where people were forced @ gunpoint to get in, driven to the ATM, and remove cash. No idea what the solution is, but it seems like anyone that catches on, ends up removing themselves from the City.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE View Post
    Another day in paradise!

The most amazing thing in that video is SNOW! We dont have snow in any city of Australia

Would/nt it be nice to see 8200 Mack pictures with snow capped!

Cheers

Snow and ice are cool.

Rain is cool, snow and ice are damn COLD.

Eliminating cash will not solve anything. Some don't believe that plastic is a valid path to go, hell seems every one of my friends has some horror story about using a debit or credit card and getting scammed somehow. I know I did, over a decade ago, before I quit plastic entirely [[and re-gained control over my expenditures, it is MUCH less easy to overspend when you only use hard currency) on both my debit and credit cards, and my use of them was quite protected. Got snagged at a few gas stations around Metro Detroit and LA, as well as a few car rental agencies in Las Vegas. Fuck plastic money, it is TOO EASY for unknown assailants to steal with it. I'd rather face my attackers and KNOW who is stealing from me. Honestly.

Cheers, anyways...
    Last edited by Gannon; February-05-13 at 06:38 AM.

Gannon: For about the last 20 years I've used Credit Cards for every purchase I have made; I've never carried a balance and never paid a cent in interest. In recent years I've received 5% rewards on Gas and 3%/5% on Groceries which has given me $500/$600 cash back per year. During that time period I've lost a Card twice but it's been replaced in about 5 days with no cost to me. Credit Cards are the only way to go. I'm "sure" every Retailer has Credit Card charges built into their prices whether you use a Card or Cash so you would pay the Card company charges any way. And you rarely have to visit a Bank - which is the best perk. Reward Credit Cards and not carrying a balance is the only way to go. You just make sure you don't spend money you don't have in your Account. If I want to buy a large item [[Computer) I save for it before I buy.
    Last edited by coracle; February-05-13 at 07:55 AM.

I don't doubt that there are SOME people who can keep track of mere digits, but MOST need something tangible. If it were the case that everyone was like you and my girlfriend, then there would be NO need for credit counseling services. I'd guess that more than HALF the population cannot keep track of either money or time, and not because they haven't tried to learn.

You have been sold a bill of goods, do you REALLY think you get anything for free?! From a BANK? That is ridiculously funny to me.

The credit card companies have a clause in every retail contract which states the retailer cannot disclose the surcharges they are hit with for your perks...and up until NOW, they haven't been able to either legally give a discount for cash, or add the surcharges you credit card addicts have added to the economy largely INVISIBLY. More ways for banks to make money on nothing.

But that is ALL changing. You will beging to see it now, and won't be too happy learning that you've been paying for your own perks all along, with higher prices. So that means I've been paying for your perks, too. And I'm sick of that.

The correction is coming this year, the law has just been passed.

Let's hear in a year how you feel.

There has been a concerted effort to eliminate cash for thirty years. It won't happen.
    Last edited by Gannon; February-05-13 at 08:53 AM.

I'd sure like to meet your girlfriend "in another life" of course. She sounds like she's got her act together. [[I'll not ask what she sees in you!)
    On the Credit Card side I know what I get is not free but you don't get anything and have to pay the same surcharges as me without the convenience. Probably some of my freebies are reimbursed out of the surcharges you pay - Thanks!
    [[say "hi" to your girlfriend and "kudos" and tell her to get you in line! It sounds like you know how to pick a good partner)
    Last edited by coracle; February-05-13 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    You have been sold a bill of goods, do you REALLY think you get anything for free?! From a BANK?

More ways for banks to make money on nothing.

You will beging to see it now, and won't be too happy learning that you've been paying for your own perks all along, with higher prices. So that means I've been paying for your perks, too. And I'm sick of that.

There has been a concerted effort to eliminate cash for thirty years. It won't happen.
    NOTHING is for FREE. I read an article a few years back, when debit cards started gaining momentum, that they add as much as 30% to the overall cost of the product that is being purchased. If all my customers INSIST on paying with debit/credit cards, I have no choice but to take them in order to stay in business. HOWEVER, if it is costing me money, [[a percentage) to do this, you can bet I'm passing it along to you. Take that and multiply it by the percentages added by the manufacturer, the distributor, the salesperson, etc., and you're paying an over inflated price on your purchase. Plastic is safer so far because it's a lot easier to stick a gun in someone's face and demand cash or merchandise. However if cash gets totally eliminated, you can bet crooks will find a new way to scam your money. Some of those ways are surfacing already.

I was being sarcastic a bit there....

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I was being sarcastic a bit there....
    It's hard to tell, you keep such a straight face. To me, "No Hoodies, No Hats", would fall under the same catagory as "No shoes, No Shirt, No Service".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast