Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Superbowl XL conditions today?

If I do my roman-numeral math correctly, it's been 7 years now since the Super Bowl was played at Ford Field. Many investments were made in Detroit, primarily downtown, in advance of the big game. Streetscapes, facade improvements, and more. Now that it's been 7 years, how are these investments holding up? What work was done specifically for the benefit of the game and those visiting for it?

I-94 between the airport & downtown was repaved. That's still holding up alright. That's all I can think of right now.

Just like predicted, Detroit is making one hell of a come back after SB XL.

The gravel parking lot that the Donovan building was razed for seems to be holding up pretty good.

The totally pointless suspension bridge over telegraph with a football motif looks like it might need some paint soon.
    Last edited by bailey; February-04-13 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    The totally pointless pretend suspension bridge over telegraph with a football motif looks like it might need some paint soon.
    What about all those burned-out houses Kwame painted orange, second coat?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    What about all those burned-out houses Kwame painted orange, second coat?
    That wasn't kwame... that was blight busters trying to draw attention to them IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    That wasn't kwame... that was blight busters trying to draw attention to them IIRC.
    You may be right, but I thought I recalled reading where a team of painters was schlepping paint on burned out houses to spruce them up for the out of town SB crowd. If that's true, they could probably use a 2nd coat.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    You may be right, but I thought I recalled reading where a team of painters was schlepping paint on burned out houses to spruce them up for the out of town SB crowd. If that's true, they could probably use a 2nd coat.
    I think bailey is correct.

What the Super Bowl committee was behind, however, covering the windows of abandoned storefronts downtown so that they appeared occupied. I think that practice is still going on.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I think bailey is correct.

What the Super Bowl committee was behind, however, covering the windows of abandoned storefronts downtown so that they appeared occupied. I think that practice is still going on.
    'cept now y'alls new boy is doing it. Danny G!