Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Liability Insurance for Artist - Sculptor?

Hello Detroityes community. I know a sculptor seeking personal liability insurance and find the rates astronomical as he is a resident in Detroit [[recently relocated here), his studio in the city as well. He has to acquire a policy to work out of state and for commission/ installation purposes.

Any companies out there with competitive rates for such? Thanks much...
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-03-13 at 09:58 AM.

I wish I could help. I didn't get a decent insurance rate of any kind until I left Michigan.

Michigan is unreasonably high for all kinds of insurance, and the City of Detroit even more so. I feel that it's a very significant deterrent to economic, property value, and population growth. But as long as we keep electing Republicans [[and Democrats, for that matter) to Lansing who receive heavy backing from the insurance industry rates are highly unlikely to be meaningfully regulated or to come down.

He should look into incorporating his business.

Fractured Atlas [[http://www.fracturedatlas.org/) is a non-profit specializing in liability insurance for hard-to-insure art [[public art, performance, etc) and artists in general. You have to become a member to get a quote [[$100), but it's refundable in full for 90 days. I've received quotes from them for business conducted out of a studio in Detroit, and found them to be quite reasonable.

I carry $1M liability as a painter, but I'm also an LLC. Annual comes to @ 1400/yr. Workers Comp I get billed at about $14.60 per $100.

Thank you so much everyone for your input and ideas. I appreciate it...... Z341