Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Favorite Vietnamese Restaurants in Madison Heights?

Hour Detroit magazine has a feature on Pho at the Vietnamese restaurants on Dequindre and on John R. It mentions the following places: Pho Tai, Thang Long, Little Saigon, Thuy Trang, Pho Que Huong, Pho Hang. I'd like to try a couple of these out and am hoping that some here have some favorites and recommendations.

I've been to Little Sigon many times. It's a pho house and also has rice bowls and such. I usually get #47, a rice noodle bowl w/ stir fried pork and spring rolls. Vietnamese come from all over Detroit to eat pho here. We're usually the only white people there and the only people speaking English. Great cheap summer food.

I personally like Que huong and Pho Hang

Had a very pleasant lunch at Pho Hang, recently. Never been to Vietnam, and cannot vouch for its authenticity, but the fact that we were the only European Americans in the place is evidence that it is genuine fare. I know this: We will be back!

If you don't want to drive to Madison Heights, I suggest Pho Lucky on Joy Rd about 100 yards east of Telegraph, in Redford. I have been there twice and have enjoyed both visits.

Next time you guys are at one of those establishments ask for banh mi thit I guarantee you'll like it!

That is usually a sign of authenticity... that's how it is at the Vietnamese places over in Windsor - at least half Vietnamese patrons. Yummy!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dan View Post
    We're usually the only white people there and the only people speaking English. Great cheap summer food.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-03-13 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dan View Post
    I've been to Little Sigon many times. It's a pho house and also has rice bowls and such. I usually get #47, a rice noodle bowl w/ stir fried pork and spring rolls. Vietnamese come from all over Detroit to eat pho here. We're usually the only white people there and the only people speaking English. Great cheap summer food.
    I thought all the white people on John R were there to find Ho Foc?

As I've only recently moved here, I've been yearning for the Vietnamese and Cambodgian food that seemed woefully underrepresented in Detroit. Obviously, I just didn't know where to look! I'll have to check these places out. Does "Little Saigon" have any good Asian grocery stores as well?

Quote Originally Posted by CleveBill View Post
    As I've only recently moved here, I've been yearning for the Vietnamese and Cambodgian food that seemed woefully underrepresented in Detroit. Obviously, I just didn't know where to look! I'll have to check these places out. Does "Little Saigon" have any good Asian grocery stores as well?
    There's a strip around John R. & 12 Mile running to John R & 14 Mile, that has multiple Asian grocery stores.

Pho Hang. There's a newer place down the road at 13 and Ryan that's supposed to be *excellent* but I haven't tried it yet.

Thang Long is my personal favorite. I highly recommend the vermicelli sausage dish... or any of the vermicelli dishes. Delicious!

That's right. I am heading to one of them this week for some of those thin spaghetti like rice sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    There's a strip around John R. & 12 Mile running to John R & 14 Mile, that has multiple Asian grocery stores.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I thought all the white people on John R were there to find Ho Foc?
    Oh, they are, but further south, between 7 & 8 Mile. And they probably aren't going for banh mi before or after.

Back to topic thread, there are some good Vietnamese in Warren too. That whole Madison Heights-Warren area has grown quite the SE Asian presence in recent years.
    Last edited by Bham1982; February-04-13 at 07:05 AM.

I've always been under the impression that Thuy Trang was the place to go for pho and Que Huong was the place for banh mi. But then, I can only verify that Thuy Trang is great. I haven't tried the others.

Unless they are a high-end French-Vietnamese restaurant catering to Americans, most of the small Vietnamese Pho restaurants are authentic and will usually have a Vietnamese clientele. Being the only white person in a Vietnamese restaurant is not at all unusual. You might see an occasional couple or a group of women "exploring" and war vets with Vietnamese wives, but their main clientele is the Vietnamese diaspora.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    If you don't want to drive to Madison Heights, I suggest Pho Lucky on Joy Rd about 100 yards east of Telegraph, in Redford. I have been there twice and have enjoyed both visits.
    i checked this place out , thanks for suggesting it.

good soup + ingredients, clean place. very friendly owner was out shovelling the snow. they have a bunch of pictures on the wall of 'winners' and 'failed' of people who tried to finish off one of the big bowls of pho. the owner said it was about 5 bowls [[5 of the small bowls that is).

i had trouble, and couldnt finish one of the small bowls haha.

while i was there they got a delivery from joyview meats, which is very cool that they get meat from a good butcher. local businesses supporting the other local business, thats what i like to see.

i've been to a couple places in madison heights. pretty good food up there too.
    i think the best japanese w/ locals is matsuchan and Izakaya Sanpei, both in canton.

i wish i could find malaysian food. there used to be one in farmington on ten mile near halsted but they closed up. lemme know if theres any cambodian/laos too, i dont discriminate!

Compn. - I am glad you had a good experience. The place is small, has a pretty limited menu, but what they do have is pretty solid. If you didn't try one of their crazy fruit smoothies I would recommend taking a risk next time you visit. I couldn't tell you what I had, but it was crazy tasty.

their iced coffee is killer too.

Just finished a visit to Thang Long, just north of 11 mile on John R in Madison Heights. Had a medium bowl of Pho, and it was fantastic. Nice thin beef in the soup, with fresh bean sprouts, hot peppers, and Chinese basil to put into the soup. They also have beef that is cooked medium, for those that like the meat that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    East side of John R. between 13 and 14 mile is a little strip shopping center with a grocery store and a Chinese bakery. I can very highly recommend the Chinese bakery, their stuff is really good. If you go on Saturday, go early because they sell out.