Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Looking for an Old Man Barber Shop in Ferndale/Oak Park area?

I'm looking for a Barber Shop for my 85 year old father. He went to Hanks on 9 mile rd., for years, but Hank just retired.
    Does anyone know where the old guys go for a haircut? He doesn't need a trendy place, or worse yet a Beauty Salon...
    thanks!

Steven B's on 9 mi/Maplehurst is the right place for him. A bona fide barbershop, even has a small barber pole just outside.

Paul's on Lahser, north of Grand River, south of 7 and next to the Redford Theater. I think hair cuts are still $6.

Oakland Mall.

Jimg.....

....9 Mile and Maplehurst don't cross. It's on the corner of Maplehurst and Woodward [[southwest corner, same block at the Higgins Building). Back in "the day" the building housed Smidley's [[?) Cleaners, then Rich Bell's Sports Car Specialities.

There is one in Oak Park at Coolidge and Manhattan. That's one block north of Lincoln. I'll stop up there tomorrow and get the hours etc. It is definitly an "old man" place...lol

douglasm is correct, Woodward and Maplehurst. About 5-blocks N of 9 Mile on the W side. I've been going there about 4-years and I'm very pleased with my haircuts. Seniors are $10. It can get busy. His phone is 248-542-2272.

Edit: I just wanted to make it clear that I was speaking about Steven B's Barbershop.
    Last edited by Big Dan; February-03-13 at 11:20 AM.

Thank you very much for all the suggestions! and Thank you detroittrader for your nice offer. I never noticed a barber only a block away from one of my favorite bakeries!

Nice to know my memory still works OK. I grew up on the second block of Maplehurst [[531 W.).

I had completely forgotten that Rich Bell's was located there. Several of my junkie friends from Pontiac, shoplifted a velocity stack from there and didn't know what to do with it, so they gave it to me. Whenever I took my '64 VW out to the motorcycle scramble grounds [[where the Silverdome is now), I'd put that VS on my 2-bbl carb [[Solex ???) and terrorize the guys on dirt bikes. We got air on some of the jumps and even climbed "hill 90". Lucky to be alive.

@crazylegs...yes, it's in the same group of buildings with Star Bakery It's down the street from me, my kids go in there all the time.

Here you go:
    Oak Park Barbers
    26003 Coolidge
    248-541-8253
    Tuesday-Friday 8-6
    Saturday 8-4
    Closed Sunday-Monday

It looks very cool and retro in there, the barber chairs are from the olden day's. I would go there for a cut but I am pretty dedicated to the Chop Shop in Berkley.

Big Daddy.....

Rich Bell's was there before it moved down the street and across Woodward to the SE corner of [[I think) Lewiston and Woodward, and started selling Moto Guzzi's out of a very small shop. I wasn't old enough to drive at that time, but I'd do map rallys, and would buy rally tables from him.

Detroittrader - Thank you very much, will definitely check it out!