Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Help, baby bunnies in my yard

I heard my dog barking in the yard and looked out the window to see her sitting in the middle of the grass with her eyes pointed to a hole in the middle of the yard. I thought it was a dead mouse but as I moved it with a shovel, five bunnies popped out of a hole. My dog picked up one but she let me have it. I finally got the other four with the help of my daughter and put them back in the hole. Now what to I do? I can't not let the dog out to do her thing. Any suggestions aside from keeping them as pets! They really are so darn cute and it was quite funny seeing all these bunnies darting all over the yard.

Call the Humane Society first and see if they have any suggestions. Did you see a mother around anywhere? If not, you should protect the babies from other predators by putting some sort of protection over the hole. If you have an open weave laundry basket put it upside down over the hole with something heavy on top so no predators can get in there. If they are very young, they need to be fed if mom isn't around. Please call either the Humane Society or some other animal rescue group in your area.

cheddar bob Guest

The lifespan of wild rabbits is very short. I would just leave them alone. If they're old enough to be hopping around the yard, they're probably old enough to eat on their own. If you don't want the dog to kill them, keep an eye on the dog when she's out and discourage her from chasing them. There's not a whole lot you can do about other predators and I wouldn't bother the Humane Society with wild animals that are part of the food chain.

As much as I like rabbits, unless you want to domesticate them, and have them live with you inside your house for the next 5-8 years, just let them be.

Attachment 2145

got to watch for killer rabbits.. I did find these guys useful

I suppose your right about them hopping around so maybe they are about ready to go on their own. I'll just have to check the hole in a few days. I wonder what the chances are that they will come back after I fill the hole up

cheddar bob Guest

To be quite honest, the chances of any of them surviving any length of time is very low.

Yep, sad but true. It would be best to leave them alone, my sister just had the same experience. She rescued them from the dog, took them to a vet to ask for advice, and fed and cared for them. 2 died that day, and the other 2 died two days later. Save yourself the emotions and let nature take it's course.

If you have an open weave laundry basket put it upside down over the hole with something heavy on top so no predators can get in there.
    How's the mother rabbit supposed to get through the laundry basket? Is there a back door to the hole?

I don't know what to say. We've had a lot of wild rabbits this year but there are no dogs around to harm them. I had a pet domesticated minilop rabbit. It was very docile and clean. You can buy rabbit pellet food for them.

Maybe the mother rabbit will move them herself after learning of your dog.
    Last edited by Jimaz; July-01-09 at 09:44 PM.

To be quite honest, the chances of any of them surviving any length of time is very low.
    I have no advice. I am just posting as an excuse to use the face.

cheddar bob Guest

Well, there's always the option of taking into your home and caring for them for the rest of their lives.

ccbatson Guest

Not a good idea to try and domesticate wild rabbits...let nature take its' course.

I called the humane society and she asked if their eyes were open and I told her they were. She said that they should be gone within a couple of days. Apparently, mother rabbit will only come once a day at dusk or early morning just long enough to feed them then she's off to feed herself. In the meantime, I will be taking the pooch out on a leash to do her business.

Well, that's a happy resolution. It's nice to hear that you care enough about the rabbits to take the effort.

They're fascinating animals. Mine would spontaneously leap 6 feet straight up into the air for no apparent reason. I think he was just happy. He also loved to play with a dish towel tied to the end of a springy Cunningham's yardstick. Why? I have no idea. He played with it for hours on end though.

cheddar bob Guest

Fascinating indeed. And expensive. Mine is almost 10 years old and I conservatively estimate that I've spent $6,000 on him during his life [[food, vet, etc.). Worth every penny even though he's a dick. Must take after me.
    Attachment 2151
    Attachment 2150

Nice looking dog cheddar bob.

Well, there's always the option of taking into your home and caring for them for the rest of their lives
    And expensive. Mine is almost 10 years old and I conservatively estimate that I've spent $6,000 on him during his life [[food, vet, etc.).
    No thanks, can't afford it. He's a cutie though.

Rabbits are good, they keep the snakes away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ez5QPW-ku4

cheddar bob Guest

Quote Originally Posted by vetalalumni View Post
    Nice looking dog cheddar bob.
    Thanks. Stuart loves his "big" sister, but the dog knows where she ranks in the household.

Thanks, Pam.

That's a classic, Downriviera. The "chicken police" is pretty good, too.

Stuart has his own tent, too...
    Attachment 2158

You could try contacting this lady. She seems to have lots of experience dealing with rabbits.

http://abcnews.go.com/WaterCooler/wireStory?id=7863838

Suburban wildlife is out of control. My son has seen deer in the little wooded area behind my house in Southfield. I put bird seed out for the cardinals, and I see squirrels and chipmunks filling their faces. Yesterday a young groundhog peered at me from the top step of my deck as though he was saying,"So where's the sunflower seeds?"

Stuart has his own tent, too...
    Ha, that's awesome.

ccbatson Guest

Live and let live. If they become pests, they aren't letting people "live" and they are at risk...a fair and natural balance.

update on the bunnies. went out to cut the grass today and two of them were hanging out together about 5 ft. from their hole. i went to get a box and put those two in then went to their nest to scoop up the other three and that's when i discovered the 6th one. finally cut the grass and went to put them back....they don't fit! their bellies are nice and full and i think they are on their way to independence. in the meantime, the poor pooch is so stressed out yapping from the doorwall.

Photographs?

yep, as soon as i can figure it out....there on the cell phone

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast