Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default DetroitYES! Webpages Recently Scrolling Slowly?

Bug report:

I think I noticed this for the first time just this morning.

With Internet Explorer [[Version: 8.0.6001.18702IS), DetroitYES! webpages are suddenly scrolling much more slowly than before. It's enough to be a distraction/impediment to use. This is with both the mouse button 3 scroll wheel and the scroll bar on the webpage.

I found no such problem with a Firefox/DetroitYES! combination but other unrelated websites scroll as fast as before with Internet Explorer.

Was there a recent change to DetroitYES! that might have caused this?

Has anyone else experienced this?

Probably all those propaganda videos you're plugging the place up with.

same here....

I do recall Lowell mentioning that it was difficult to get the site to work well on all the new browser/platform combinations available today. That's likely what's happening. That's a juggling act he shouldn't have to do.

If this causes me to switch over permanently to Firefox, I'll take that as a good thing. Internet Explorer has an annoying memory leak anyway.

Software quality in general has been doing a nosedive for decades.

Yes, I've noticed it too.

Thanks for reporting this. I use Chrome on Mac and Windows and have noticed nothing. I'm surprised anyone still uses IE.

We had been experiencing some lag that our server service company reported as the Apache web server overloading. They made some tweaks to it on Jan. 31 and we have seen no issues since.

Earlier in the month we had some server overload issues that momentarily took the site offline, but was cured by restart.

We will probably be migrating to a new server later this year as our current server OS is incapable of handling the higher versions PHP required to run the upcoming version 5 of vBulletin, the forum software.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Thanks for reporting this....
    You are most welcome, Lowell. I know it helps diagnostically to nail down the date that a problem first appears and that seems to have been the case here.

Remember the browser wars? My, has Internet Explorer fallen!

Thanks for all you do.

I have experienced the problem with IE8, too. I would not ordinarily be using an out of date browser, but IE8 is the default option on my work computer.

I noticed that the lower-right banner ad now tracks with you as you scroll down a thread so that you always see it. If this is a new feature, it could be related to the scrolling problem. Or perhaps the advertisement was always a "sticky" ad and I only noticed it because of the scrolling problem.

In the meantime, I may switch to Firefox.

Thought it was just me and my slow PC. The right scroll bar is very slow

I thought it was me. But it seems better today.

I was having fits today with it. Tried Chrome and its good.

Yes, never had this problem before, the last few days it's misbehaving, so something had to change recently.

When I try to post a reply most times it will not respond. I get a detroityes.com is not reponding message. It takes several tries to finally post..

So other than changing browsers can anything be done? This is getting annoying.

To all who have experience issues would you please test now and let us know if you are still having the same issue. There were some changes made to the ad block set up that I was unaware of. We believe those were causing the issue and have been removed. [It may require that you close and restart your browser to experience the change.]

And one more thing... It is impossible to insure the same experience with every device - particularly with old non-updated browsers which our stats show that many on this forum still use.

The proliferation of browsers and versions of browsers, which are continually being updated, combined with the growth of mobile smartphones and pads is creating a nightmare for developers. [I have a joking theory that the end of computing will be reached when all the time and processes of everybody's computers is consumed by updates, leaving no time for any other use.]

Nonetheless, it is important that you update your browsers and operating systems for you own personal security and to insure improved experience and response times.

To all who have experience issues would you please test now and let us know if you are still having the same issue. There were some changes made to the ad block set up that I was unaware of. We believe those were causing the issue and have been removed. [It may require that you close and restart your browser to experience the change.]
    It's much better now. To me it seems as good as it ever was.

Thanks, Lowell!

... I have a joking theory that the end of computing will be reached when all the time and processes of everybody's computers is consumed by updates, leaving no time for any other use....
    That sounds similar to thrashing, which ironically is what Internet Explorer is causing my system to do. When closing IE alone, I can watch the page file usage for the whole system drop by 50%!

Microsoft, get thee behind me.

Better thanks.

Yes, it is fixed now. Thanks, Lowell!

back to normal!

I am usually loath to complain as Lowell does everything he does out of the goodness of his wallet, but today - and really the last few weeks - but today has been quite difficult.

Pages load slowly, freeze, load partway, won't load at all. refreshing is useless. losing posts is very common.

mac, desk, ipad and ihandheld thingy. safari.

Never had a problem with basic safari. I wasn't even aware that firefox or explorer still existed. I've always been suspect of chrome though and have never subscribed to it. No problems here.

It's good to clear the Cache, and cookies often. This will speed up your pc. Also run Defragment too.