Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default 8 mile used car lots

Seems like the past 6 months a lot have opened/expanded. Dad says its like Livernois used to be. Anyone notice?

Sure are a lot of used cars in the world.

I was looking for a used car in the $5,000 or so range and were I would have usually found a private owner, had my mechanic check the car, ran a vin check and made a direct purchase. Done. I simply could not fine many private sellers this time.

Used car lots are growing as many are either trading their cars in, to avoid the hassle and danger of big money transactions at their private homes. Who can blame them? I mean there have been two test-drive "drive offs" in the last month and that kind of theft is hard on dealers. What private owners wants all of that risk or worse.

I ended up going to a lot in Detroit, finding a 5K car that I wanted. Ended up paying a bit more than I wanted but not as much as they thought I was stupid enough to pay. That same care would have been a private sale five years ago.

The advantage was that the paper work, insurance and temporary window license was dealer handled - so no need for secretary of state. They did waive the dealer fee after I haggled it. I felt good to spend my money in the city.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-01-13 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I was looking for a used car in the $5,000 or so range and were I would have usually found a private owner, had my mechanic check the car, ran a vin check and made a direct purchase. Done. I simply could many private seller this time.

Used car lots are growing as many are either trading their cars in, to avoid the hassle and danger of big money transactions at their private homes. Who can blame them? I mean there have been two test-drive "drive offs" in the last month and that kind of theft is hard on dealers. What private owners wants all of that risk or worse.

I ended up going to a lot in Detroit, finding a 5K car that I wanted. Ended up paying a bit more than I wanted but not as much as they thought I was stupid enough to pay. That same care would have been a private sale five years ago.

The advantage was that the paper work, insurance and temporary window license was dealer handled - so no need for secretary of state. They did waive the dealer fee after I haggled it. I felt good to spend my money in the city.

Makes sense Zacha341. Safety, choice and the hassle of paperwork.

Shollin Guest

A lot of the used lots also offer no credit financing.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Sure are a lot of used cars in the world.
    I count them in my sleep.......

Yeah but dealers always charge more... but then sometimes it works out. Alway do a vin check whatever/ where ever you purchase used.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Makes sense Zacha341. Safety, choice and the hassle of paperwork.

GUSHI Guest

Information isnt always on car fax you need some one who knows car to check it out, my buddy had a 20000 plus claim on his Lexus a year later we decided to run a car fax, it wasn't on there,

^^^ For sure a vin check is not perfect. Just a tool. Know the car model and have it inspected for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by luckycar View Post
    Lol ^ direct from DetroitYES' very own resident 'preowned' auto dealer.

how do you avoid the cars that are junkers.. cars that were caught in floods, etc., but someone's still trying to sell them instead of disposing...

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    how do you avoid the cars that are junkers.. cars that were caught in floods, etc., but someone's still trying to sell them instead of disposing...
    Look for rust under the flooring material.

I learned that tip in the 70s while shopping for a Pinto. There had been a story in the news about a ship full of Pintos that sank and they salvaged the cars. Folks wanted to know how to avoid them. True story.

I loved that [[no rust) Pinto, BTW. Drove it into the dust.
    Last edited by Jimaz; February-04-13 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luckycar View Post
    I go to sleep thinking about naked women a lot.