Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default MC Muckraker: Anthony Williams the Lead Condidate for EM Job

I know there's gonna be a lot of 'rabble rabble rabble' about him not being from Detroit, but he does produce results. I did ask myself how he's different than an out-of-state bankruptcy judge, but if he's a Snyder appointee, I'd think that he'd follow Snyder's directives on what needs to be done. If he does, then this is a NO BRAINER.

http://motorcitymuckraker.com/2013/0...ncy-manager-2/

What Detroit needs is someone NOT from the area. The usual list of clowns has too much vested interest and too many “family” members to be objective. If we have such stellar candidates within Detroit city limits, then it’s a shame those people have not run for council or mayor. The last thing we need is some local guy stepping in there and another scandal erupting.

Some key points in the article...

...Williams has been approached about the job but has expressed some reluctance, sources said, because he knows the ridicule he’d endure and the massive challenges he’d face. Whoever takes the job will be tasked with making significant, painful budget reductions at a time when police and social services are most dismal and in demand...

...But Williams was not without his critics. Although neighborhoods improved throughout the city, the lives of many lower-income residents did not. Critics accused Williams of gentrifying areas that later priced struggling residents out of their homes. Williams also caught fire for closing inpatient services at the city’s only public hospital, D.C. General.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Extra pionts if he can regentrify the people AND the neighborhood.

The important question to ask is why the lives of lower-income residents didn't improve. If there was some unspoken expectation that he was their social worker, then that's not his responsibility. In fact, I'd posture that such responsibility lies with public-private partnerships, non-profit organizations, and community builders alongside corporations.

The fact is that DC improved drastically over the course of his terms, left the city with a surplus, and began the key steps to revitalizing core neighborhoods. For eight years of work, that's pretty damn good.

The city can't improve the lives of lower-income residents when it has no money. For a population that cares so much about having the city improve the lives of its lower-income residents, all we've seen is the lives of all residents on a steady decline for 40 years.

If these are the only criticisms people have of Williams, then I don't know why we haven't already kidnapped him and whisked him away to the CAY building.
    Last edited by corktownyuppie; February-01-13 at 01:13 PM.