Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Pugh to Quit after "restoring dignity and respect and order to the council."

Detroit City Council President Charles Pugh has announced that he will not seek re-election this fall. He plans to return to broadcast media as told in an interview with the Freep's Rochelle Riley. Link.

Pugh said he was proudest to achieve his main goal of "restoring dignity and respect and order to the council."

The council's reputation "had spiraled to an all-time low with public fights and unethical decisions by people who are now returning from prison," he said. "I am Detroit! ... I wanted to help restore a level of respect and trust."
    I am sure the above will draw some guffaws, but I think few can argue that at the antic level council has been a far more dignified than the low bar set by previous councils.

Personally I find this disappointing. I think the Pugh is arguably the most articulate member of Council in a long time with unquestioned intelligence. That said, and with the chaos of city politics, I can't blame him either and wish him luck.

He lost any credibility he had after the Belle Isle decision. Good riddance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Detroit City Council President Charles Pugh has announced that he will not seek re-election this fall. He plans to return to broadcast media as told in an interview with the Freep's Rochelle Riley. Link.

I am sure the above will draw some guffaws, but I think few can argue that at the antic level council has been a far more dignified than the low bar set by previous councils.

Personally I find this disappointing. I think the Pugh is arguably to most articulate member of Council in a long time with unquestioned intelligence. That said, and with the chaos of city politics, I can't blame him either and wish him luck.
    Think he'll file bankruptcy, again?

This is fantastic news. Now if Watson and Kenyatta leave, there is some potential for progress. Hopefully the new districts will prevent some of these fools from getting elected.

Good riddance to Mr. Pugh, who did an orderly job of managing the disorder that is Detroit city council.

Now if only Dave "Do-nothing like a deer in headlights" Bing can admit that he was an abject failure and also not seek reelection, although McGriff the Crime Dog has a better chance of getting elected than he does of getting reelected anyway.

Godspeed back to Franklin please!!!

with the new city charter, the newly elected council actually gets to vote on who the president is, right?

Viewing the last few council meetings and listening to the racist comments both by some on the council and some from the audience, it's obvious that he is taking too much credit for himself.

"I am Detroit! ... I wanted to help restore a level of respect and trust."

He pounded his gavel a few times to try to restore order at the meetings, had some audience members ejected from meetings, but he should have put duct tape over Watsons mouth to keep her racist, ugly comments regarding white people quiet. There was no order or dignity there.

I can't agree with anyone who says he restored dignity to the meetings. When Conyers went to jail, that contributed to some semblence of dignity , her antics were a total embarrassment for Detroit. When and if Pugh becomes another street reporter, whatever station he works for will be off my favorite list, and that's a promise.

Who would hire Pugh? He is a self deluded windbag. I doubt any station would want this screwball working for them. My opinion is not because of his lifestyle. I just think he thinks too highly of himself. He never accomplished anything except running his mouth off , talking in circles, never getting to the point. Total useless person. Waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by fanniemae View Post
    Who would hire Pugh? He is a self deluded windbag. I doubt any station would want this screwball working for them. My opinion is not because of his lifestyle. I just think he thinks too highly of himself. He never accomplished anything except running his mouth off , talking in circles, never getting to the point. Total useless person. Waste of time.
    Stations, [[@ least in the Metro-Detroit area), WOULD hire him because people would tune in just to see Charles Pugh, ex-City Coucil president. Film @ 11.....

I dont have anything against him as a person but I would never call him intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Stations, [[@ least in the Metro-Detroit area), WOULD hire him because people would tune in just to see Charles Pugh, ex-City Coucil president. Film @ 11.....
    Word on the street was that WJBK was not offering him a contract when his was up last go around. He created turmoil behind the scenes with his diva attitude. At best, he might be a reporter, or weekend anchor in Toledo, Flint or Saginaw.

Yes, fanniemae - WJBK was happy when he announced that he would run for City Council. He was very, very difficult.

Time will tell. Let us see what happens. I would much rather a man see the light and right his career, than keep making the same mistakes.

Shollin Guest

Half the city is on welfare, don't pay taxes, reproduce at a young age, kill each other, and have no marketable skills. Council always gets blamed for this. Flush this council and bring in a new one and nothing will change. With that said, I'm ready for a new cast of scapegoats.

From an ancient playbook: "When facing defeat, declare victory and walk away."

Now if only Alan Halberstadt would follow Pugh's example and quit Windsor city council.

When the new counsel took over, at first I thought there was some improvement. Watson was wearing a suit, and she was somewhat subdued.
    But, it didn't take long for the old ways to return. I hope this election will
    bring new people to the table, that have some class and intelligence. I couldn't for the life of me accept that Pugh was the President and last time that Conyers was Pres pro tem. Let's hope the next leader doesn't get in on popular vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post

Personally I find this disappointing. I think the Pugh is arguably the most articulate member of Council in a long time with unquestioned intelligence. That said, and with the chaos of city politics, I can't blame him either and wish him luck.
    What good is him being articulate when Pugh had sold the residents of the city a bill of goods. He flip flopped on his votes. He had never stood up for the residents of the city. He had appeared to only look out for himself. I did not care for the antics of Monica Conyers and Martha Reeves but at least they had fought against the take over of Cobo Hall and a couple of other things. Pugh was a weak president. The only radio interview that he participated frequently was on WCHB where he often pushed around the talk show host on who's show that Pugh is a guest.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    He lost any credibility he had after the Belle Isle decision. Good riddance.
    True, but I don't think he had any credibility to begin with...

Also, I think Pugh's intelligence could definitely be questioned. Going back to him leaving his job in TV news without replacing that income while keeping the same bills. I'd question the intelligence of anyone who continued to rack up eviction notices and foreclosures while making good money.

As City Council president, the only things that stand out from his terms are negatives. The car crash, the raises to his staff while the City crumbled under bankruptcy, the questionable "birthday party" and "civic fund".

Good riddance to a person who never should have been elected in the first place, at least in my humble opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I did not care for the antics of Monica Conyers and Martha Reeves but at least they had fought against the take over of Cobo Hall and a couple of other things.
    Can you expain how this was good?

Quote Originally Posted by Motor City Sam View Post
    Also, I think Pugh's intelligence could definitely be questioned. Going back to him leaving his job in TV news without replacing that income while keeping the same bills. I'd question the intelligence of anyone who continued to rack up eviction notices and foreclosures while making good money.

As City Council president, the only things that stand out from his terms are negatives. The car crash, the raises to his staff while the City crumbled under bankruptcy, the questionable "birthday party" and "civic fund".

Good riddance to a person who never should have been elected in the first place, at least in my humble opinion.
    I had always wondered if Pugh is recieving money in a yellow envelope. I really think that he is on someone's payroll. Maybe that is the reason why he flip on his votes. Maybe that is the reason why he had given up a 6 figure job to work for 70,000 a year.

I saw the title to this thread and thought it was a future plan of Pugh's.

Such as "I won't leave until we have restored respect and dignity."

Glad he is deciding to leave before then.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I had always wondered if Pugh is recieving money in a yellow envelope. I really think that he is on someone's payroll. Maybe that is the reason why he flip on his votes. Maybe that is the reason why he had given up a 6 figure job to work for 70,000 a year.
    Agreed. I think through his close relationship with Kilpatrick, he saw who it was possible to get a lot of money by pimping the City of Detroit. I always thought that was behind his rush to get into politics. After Kwame got busted and the feds spotlight was shining on Detroit, those opportunities have probably dried up, which I would guess is behind his wish to return to TV news.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast