Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Sign a petition to get the Feds to look at our scrapping issue.

http://petitions.whitehouse.gov/peti...perty/NxYTf5Yt

If you agree with my position, please sign it and post it on whatever social media site you can.

I don't/can't have acces to Facebook so any help is appreciated.

Why can't you have access to Facebook?

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Why can't you have access to Facebook?
    I'd rather not get into it here, but long story short my account was deleted.

I know that you're intentions are good, but...

In your petition you say "Bills to combat this problem recently failed in Michigan" ? It would seem this is what and where the problem needs to be addressed, at the State and Local level, not by "the Feds". Could it be this petition is being directed to to wrong place?
    Last edited by Vic01; January-31-13 at 02:57 PM.

State/local leadership has already shown exactly what they're about when it comes to the wishes of the people.

I'm tired of the bitching that Michigan/Detroit loves to do, this is an opportunity to put your money where your mouth is.

The feds have no authority to fix a local issue such as this. Basically, They can only get involved if it is something to do with interstate commerce.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    The feds have no authority to fix a local issue such as this. Basically, They can only get involved if it is something to do with interstate commerce.
    Read the very last item in the petition.

Still believe this is a local issue. But as I've said previously, I don't like the idea of the common citizen transporting and reselling scrap metal. I'd rather have a licensed contractor or waste removal service pick such materials up in a vehicle licensed by the state to transport such materials. All jobs would have to come with an associated work order number. Everything would be electronic to save time and money and ensure the trade would not depreciate in minutes passing by filling out forms and paperwork. Citizens would still have the option to dump copper pipes for example street-side for collection. They would receive nothing in exchange, but not anyone could pick up that material either.

To be fair, remove the can deposit program. It's not necessary and obsolete law for generations past. We don't have it where I live. Everyone recycles pop cans...seriously why wouldn't you.... or they are sorted out at the waste facilities. I don't understand why it's so hard for people to recycle that they'd drive all the way back to the store for a couple bucks when it's a deposit not an award.
    Last edited by wolverine; February-01-13 at 02:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    State/local leadership has already shown exactly what they're about when it comes to the wishes of the people.

I'm tired of the bitching that Michigan/Detroit loves to do, this is an opportunity to put your money where your mouth is.
    "Mr Obama, we elected you. Please fix anything and everything that we do not like. Fix it all RIGHT NOW!!"

you should probably expect this petition to fail. the newly added requirement of 100,000 signatures is too high. i dont think any current petitions are even close.

how much appx. does a scrapper take from a house? Like how much is the copper pipe worth?

Everything. Up to $4/lb. Brass fixtures even more. Porcelain and vitreous china have no chance. Lead and copper hips on a roof [[inner and outer) result in destruction to slate roofs. Copper gutters and roofs come off over a weekend, in the dark. Marble is destroyed. Buildings such as schools which could be potentially repurposed are destroyed in a matter of days. Housing stock stands no chance. Viable buildings are rendered useless overnight.

Nothing is sacred. Mansions, the corner business, your childhood home, harvested and destroyed so some fucker can take 70 bucks worth of metal.

Scrapping has done more irreparable damage to this city in the last 6 years than anyone's worst nightmares. It's shocking, it's disgusting, and it's sad.