Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Gilbert Tweets @Council "Belle Isle...What is so hard?"

Dan Gilbert seems to have stayed out of the political fray but the breakdown of negotiations over the status of Belle Isle has drawn him out according to this Tom Walsh Freep article.

After Quicken Loans chairman and Cleveland Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert broadcast his disappointment via Twitter on Tuesday about the Detroit City Council's inaction on the proposal to have Belle Isle run as a state park, he said, his own people at Quicken were ticked off at him and worried about making waves politically.

"I think they thought, 'Why do that? Now the council's going to be all upset,' and I said, 'Look, I'm not going to hold back my disappointment,' " Gilbert told me Wednesday after speaking to a Detroit Venture Partners conference in Detroit.

Gilbert tweeted that it was a disappointment. The tweet, sent under his handle @cavsdan, was more plaintive than angry, saying, "Det. City Council can't make easy decision turning Belle Isle into a state park. It's light years better. What is so hard?"
    When Dan Gilbert talks will Council Listen? to paraphrase the old E. F. Hutton ad"

Another quote from Gilbert is also relevant.
    There's a belief system -- a venom almost -- there's a whole sector of human beings who not only bitch about the way the world is, they even become more hostile if someone dares suggest an idea or thought that could make it better. I haven't figured that part of it out.

Shollin Guest

I got an idea. Take away 6 million of his tax subsidies and give it to Belle Isle. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    I got an idea. Take away 6 million of his tax subsidies and give it to Belle Isle. Problem solved.
    I think that reinforces what Gilbert is saying. If someone offers you a handout have enough sense to accept it.

Shollin Guest

It must be nice to use city council as a scapegoat. From the moment it was announced Belle Isle could be a state park, people have had their torches and pitchforks ready for city council to accept this agreement, no questions asked even though the people they represent disagree with the proposal. It's like Hantz Farms. The moment it was proposed people were clamoring for council to accept. It doesn't matter. If the deal goes south and Hantz is another Moroun, it's council's fault for accepting. If they pass, it's still council's fault.

There's a reason why the deal was scrapped. The appointment of a Emergency Manager is coming here before the winter is over.

When that happens, the manager can suggest the state take over management of Belle Isle. At that point, there would be no need of making deals. Rick Synder tried to make one with the city and the city acted against it. Soon, the city government won't have a say in the matter. It will simply, happen.

Shollin Guest

I'm still confused how the citizens of Michigan voted to repeal the emergency manager law, yet it hasn't gone away.

I'm still confused how the citizens of Michigan voted to repeal the emergency manager law, yet it hasn't gone away.
    Because the legislature passed a replacement bill, and Michigan isn't a state where ballot initiatives can't be overturned by legislative action.

We repealed Public Act 4. Public Act 72, which was enacted in 1990 and allows for emergency financial managers, is still in effect.

Ummm... All $6 million would do is leave the status quo dump that the island has turned into... your idea is not ideal...

As for Gilbert... he is not concerned about showing his anger and frustration... just look at his controversial remarks regarding LeBron James scampering out of Cleveland...

Rather than focusing on Gilberts comments, the real problem is the Clownsil and the perpetual naysayers that have nothing better to do than go into their public meetings and comment on "people who don't look like us".... but your idea is to focus on Gilbert's comments.

Surely you can tell where the real idiotic comments come from here?

sure, because pulling 6 million from him won't affect ANY of his investments in the city at all, anywhere, just pull the money from him, he's rich, he will absorb it... no way would he pull out of investing in Detroit or scale back any current developments... would never happen....

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    sure, because pulling 6 million from him won't affect ANY of his investments in the city at all, anywhere, just pull the money from him, he's rich, he will absorb it... no way would he pull out of investing in Detroit or scale back any current developments... would never happen....
    It's kind of ironic all the bitching about the suburbs getting subsidies and the mere mention of taking away 6 million in subsidies from a billionaire is met with such angst. My guess is if Gilbert decided to invest in Livonia people wouldn't be so willing to give him these subsidies and praise.

I would say to Dan Gilbert.

"It's plantation politics, race cards and monetary issues within the Detroit City Government that prevented the Lansing's lease on Belle Isle. Their mindset is focused on ' I can take of Detroit by ourselves, We don't need Lansing to help us, just bail us out.' This whole political debauchery within Detroit City leaders is that they can't get out its mixture of Coleman A. Young kleptocracy and their personal dark ages."
    Last edited by Danny; January-31-13 at 12:19 PM.

It's kind of ironic all the bitching about the suburbs getting subsidies and the mere mention of taking away 6 million in subsidies from a billionaire is met with such angst. My guess is if Gilbert decided to invest in Livonia people wouldn't be so willing to give him these subsidies and praise.
    Of course not. A healthy region needs a healthy urban commercial core. It makes sense to want to spur investment in Detroit and not in Livonia. So by allowing him to keep more of his money instead of putting it in city coffers, we are at once enticing him to come and increasing the amount of money he has to invest [[and given his track record, he is investing it in Detroit).

If the city were giving him grants, that's one thing. But allowing him to keep more of his money that we wouldn't be getting anyways if he chose to invest elsewhere doesn't bother me. As long as it remains a net positive for the city and thus the state.
    Last edited by TexasT; January-31-13 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    Now that's a real clever strategy. Stick it to him. He's got [[our) money. He can't do anything about it now if we take it back. And it will serve as a warning to others who might want to follow his example.

The problem is that City Council hasn't had enough time to go over other options. I mean, they've only just heard about the proposal around last June/July. And it's only come up for a vote a few days ago. Six months isn't nearly enough time to consider other options. Seven months, however is plenty of time, so they delayed the vote.

Also, Belle Isle is a distraction for the city council. After talking about voting on it for a few hours, they simply didn't have the time to actually vote on it, so they voted to vote on it later.

ArmDetroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    The problem is that City Council hasn't had enough time to go over other options. I mean, they've only just heard about the proposal around last June/July. And it's only come up for a vote a few days ago. Six months isn't nearly enough time to consider other options. Seven months, however is plenty of time, so they delayed the vote.

Also, Belle Isle is a distraction for the city council. After talking about voting on it for a few hours, they simply didn't have the time to actually vote on it, so they voted to vote on it later.
    I see what you did there.

From these comments its clear Gilbert doesn't know how to handle politics in Detroit. He should stay out of things in the spotlight.

Quote Originally Posted by 4V4DMD View Post
    From these comments its clear Gilbert doesn't know how to handle politics in Detroit. He should stay out of things in the spotlight.
    Sorry but I don't buy that... no one knows how to handle politics in Detroit... because it's a fools game... Gilbert now has the muscle to say what's on his mind... and it's about time someone calls out the ones running the city that are fools... exactly that. Look how well Detroit has done with people shying away from [[God forbid) anyone speaking out. It's time someone told them the truth... politics... meh!!

even though the people they represent disagree with the proposal
    I thought 66% of Detroiters polled favored the State taking over Belle Isle maintenance?

It must be nice to use city council as a scapegoat. From the moment it was announced Belle Isle could be a state park, people have had their torches and pitchforks ready for city council to accept this agreement, no questions asked even though the people they represent disagree with the proposal. It's like Hantz Farms. The moment it was proposed people were clamoring for council to accept. It doesn't matter. If the deal goes south and Hantz is another Moroun, it's council's fault for accepting. If they pass, it's still council's fault.
    I gotta say, I agree with your assessment. And I'd add that I'm really disappointed in some of the "journalists" in this town who've been taking some really low blows at city council, when what city council is doing is what democratically elected representatives are supposed to do, represent the will of the people and drive a hard bargain for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I thought 66% of Detroiters polled favored the State taking over Belle Isle maintenance?
    For the love of God could you refrain from citing facts on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by ElbertHanks View Post
    For the love of God could you refrain from citing facts on this forum.
    I'm sorry, YEAH! STOOPID CLOWNCIL! [[sp?)

The action by City Council signals an inability to get out of there own way, are obstructionists to innovative solutions and blind to the truth.

In the words of a friend of mine re: City Council's stance on the Belle Isle situation:

"Belle Isle: It's a piece of shit, but it's OUR piece of shit."

My stance on the whole thing is this: What's the worst that could happen? The city is clearly in over their head with financial troubles to the point where island maintenance is not necessarily a priority [[understandably so). Try something new!

Quote Originally Posted by jeduncan View Post
    In the words of a friend of mine re: City Council's stance on the Belle Isle situation:

"Belle Isle: It's a piece of shit, but it's OUR piece of shit."
    Is your friend in middle school? This sounds remarkably similar to, "I don't care if I'm ruining my life because it's my life, mom, I'll do whatever I want!"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast