Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Gov. Snyder to appoint EM over Detroit within next two months

I thought this would have been posted by now. I wrote this story for Motor City Muckraker. I confirmed that Snyder is on the verge of appointing an EM over Detroit. He's already alerted a few city leaders. Tomorrow I will reveal the identity of the top EM candidate. It's not who most people expect. Here's the story:

http://motorcitymuckraker.com/2013/0...ttle-progress/

I'm not surprised at this. After hearing that Synder withdrew the deal for Belle Isle to become a state park, he probably decided to just appoint an EM for Detroit.

Once that happens, the state could do whatever they wanted to Detroit, whether for its benefit or to simply make sure that Detroit pays back all of its debts, even if it meant that the city would have nothing left when it was over. Not to say that an EM is the solution to Detroit's problems, considering it's not working well in other places.

Whoever that they pick, he/she probably won't be a Detroit resident. At this point, it doesn't matter. We need people who know how to run a city, not a bunch of clowns.

Well technically, prior to March 27th, anyone who's appointed will merely be an EFM. Once the new EM law goes into effect, all EFMs appointed prior to March 27th will be granfathered to EMs.

In any event, I would think Jack Martin would be a top contender, but based on the lead-in from the OP I guess not. Heaven forbid Snyder decides to appoint Dave "do-nothing like a deer in headlights" Bing.

There's no way that he would appoint Bing. Bing is tied to this mess along with everyone on the council. Whoever will be picked will be someone that has experience in these things.

It can't be a former city official or employee. He might even pick Mike Duggan, thus saving him the trouble of an election.

Quote Originally Posted by Tig3rzhark View Post
    There's no way that he would appoint Bing. Bing is tied to this mess along with everyone on the council. Whoever will be picked will be someone that has experience in these things.

It can't be a former city official or employee. He might even pick Mike Duggan, thus saving him the trouble of an election.
    And, the perfect solution. Make it so.

The city council isn't willing to make any of the tough decisions. Hell, they're not able to make any of the easy decisions either.

Quote Originally Posted by neavling View Post
    I thought this would have been posted by now. I wrote this story for Motor City Muckraker. I confirmed that Snyder is on the verge of appointing an EM over Detroit. He's already alerted a few city leaders. Tomorrow I will reveal the identity of the top EM candidate. It's not who most people expect. Here's the story:

I posted it in the Belle Isle thread. Should have started a new one for a separate discussion.

Anthony Williams is the favored choice per MCM.

http://motorcitymuckraker.com/2013/0...gency-manager/

Steve, I see in the comments on Motorcity Muckraker on this story you broke that Malik Shabazz proudly states that Andy Dillon is discussing the next steps with him. Since Shabazz is the author of the "We'll burn this City down" threat, I am concerned that now Shabazz is power-brokering the EM role.Please! Shabazz is such a jerk. Tell me he isn't becoming a major player except in his own mind.

That would certianly be an interesting choice. He held a similar position in DC when congress had set up an emergency financial manager-style board.

Don't worry about Shabazz. He ain't running sh%t. He's the classic definition of a sycophant. He floats around the outer orbit of whomever happens to have the power at any given time.
    Last edited by Dexlin; January-31-13 at 07:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by neavling View Post

WTF? What is this "Days Of Our Lives"? Why doesn't Snyder grow a couple and do the do. Every month it's the continuing saga, "any day now", "as early as next week" "by next month". This has been going on for 2 years already, 40 years if you really want to get technical. There's no end to "our stories". Detroit government has shown time and time again they're either incapable, or incompetent to make the right decisions. End it already. As far as Mr. Shazaam is concerned, who IS this guy? He's just a loudmouth racist. He holds no political office. His only agenda is HIM. Why is he even in the mix? I'm really getting tired of Detroit and of this whole situation. No lights, no cops, no fire department, no EMS, no future, and no hope. No wait, I take that back, a new coffee shop opened in Midtown.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; January-31-13 at 08:06 AM.

Steve - good articles and scoop. Just one concern - Detroit is getting an emergency financial manager under the old law, right? There is a difference between that and the EM law that was defeated so I think it's confusing people. The EFM law is still on the books, so that's what we're getting.
    Last edited by TexasT; January-31-13 at 09:09 AM.

TexasT,

Don't know if you heard, but the legislature - literally days after the defeat of the previous law - came up with a new law that was almost identical to the old law and passed it. Detroit will be under the new EM law.
    Last edited by Dexlin; January-31-13 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    TexasT,

Don't know if you heard, but the legislature literally came up with a new law that was almost identical to the old law and passed it. It won't immediately go into effect, but Detroit will be under and EM, not an EFM.
    Yeah it goes into effect in late March. So if he's appointing someone ASAP, then it's an EFM, with less power than the EM under the new law. That EFM may be given EM powers under the new law when it takes effect, as someone noted earlier, but there's no EM law right now.

Just semantics using "EM" vs "EFM", but seems like people are thinking he's working under a law that we just repealed. Unless he waits until the end of March, which he may, he's going to appoint under PA72, which has been on the books since 1990.

The new law allows a city to choose between one of four options, including an EM. Obviously, having a choice doesn't apply to us - we're getting a manager no matter what - so I'm not sure what part of the new law would apply to us and what wouldn't. If anyone has a good article on that, I'd appreciate a link!
    Last edited by TexasT; January-31-13 at 09:07 AM.

I heard Shabazz on the radio the other day. He was saying how he has learned from the past and to move forward. HAHA
    -Follow the money...

The end of Black Detroit comes with the beginning of an Emergency Manager. Just as Romulus Augustulus surrender his golden laurel reef crown to a German Gothic King named Odoacer.

Which now brings up the question....

Will we even bother to even have an election in August? With an Emergency Manager in control in Detroit, that would leave the city council and the Mayor's office with no clout and authority in city affairs. So it would probably save the city a lot of money by not having any elections at all and just getting rid of everyone in city government, including the mayor.

The new law, similar to the old one, has one difference. The city could choose Chapt 9 bankruptcy. Now whether that is truly the case, that would have to be argued in court.

However, I'm pretty sure that no one wants to go down that road, except for city council. Municipal Bankruptcy would result in the decrease in a city's credit rating and I don't believe we can go any lower than junk status, which is where we are probably at now.

Things are already worse enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Tig3rzhark View Post
    The new law, similar to the old one, has one difference. The city could choose Chapt 9 bankruptcy. Now whether that is truly the case, that would have to be argued in court.
    While under the new law, cities get to choose between four options, including and EM and bankruptcy, I believe I read that those who already have a manager appointed when the law goes into effect in late March are grandfathered in and will not have the choice.