Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Chicago murders

Default Chicago murders

Maybe a stupid question, or statement I guess. I'm getting tired and annoyed with all these news paper articles about the murders in Chicago and what can be done about it, when the same thing happens here in Detroit and nationally, it seems like no one cares. Anyone else feel the same?

Shollin Guest

Detroit doesn't need more attention about its murders.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    Detroit doesn't need more attention about its murders.
    You don't seem to get what I mean by what I said. I'm not saying that Detroit needs the attention, but I don't get why it's plastered everywhere that Chicago just hit it's 400th or 500th murder. Why is it such a big deal there and in other cities it doesn't matter?

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    You don't seem to get what I mean by what I said. I'm not saying that Detroit needs the attention, but I don't get why it's plastered everywhere that Chicago just hit it's 400th or 500th murder. Why is it such a big deal there and in other cities it doesn't matter?
    Because their murder rate is increasing at a troubling pace. Most US cities have seen a decline in murders.

Did you read the news about the beautiful 15 year old Chicago girl who was at Obama's inaugural last week and died from a bullet yesterday? Horrible culture of guns and gratuitous violence. We think of the victims as the ones who fall, but how can we forget the ones whos survive these miserable events? A whole bunch of non-statistical sufferers.

Maybe because if Chicago can figure out how to solve the problem, then that solution can be used elsewhere. Then again, how many good ideas have been adopted in Detroit that seemed to work everwhere else but here?

Shollin Guest

Just imagine if Chicago won their bid for the 2016 Olympics. The planned stadium was to be on the south side. The attention on the murders would be even more intense.

if only Chicago would pass a law making murder illegal.... damn right wing racists keeping murder on the up and up is destroying our inner cities......

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    Maybe a stupid question, or statement I guess. I'm getting tired and annoyed with all these news paper articles about the murders in Chicago and what can be done about it, when the same thing happens here in Detroit and nationally, it seems like no one cares. Anyone else feel the same?
    Because of extreme disparities in the city. To people North of Roosevelt Road, the violent areas down on the south side or far west side are distant and remote. They don't think about becoming a victim because the murder rate is low, and practically non-existent so as long as you aren't involved in a gang and do not live in a violent household. If you are a middle or upper class individual, you can opt out of the likelihood of being a victim of violent crime, by simply moving to any one of the many wards with crimes rates lower than 1/1000. Unfortunately for a large share of the population that's not an option. To get to your point, it's shock value in the papers...at least locally. All shootings are posted in the tribune. Every single one of them. When the shooter is caught, their mugshots are put in the paper.

Go this map
    http://www.trulia.com/crime/#!cook-i...57/Chicago,IL/

Then uncheck all boxes, then check assault and shooting only.
    Also notice that many of the heat spots...especially downtown are the result of shoplifting and vandalism.
    Last edited by wolverine; January-30-13 at 09:53 PM.

Just imagine if Chicago won their bid for the 2016 Olympics. The planned stadium was to be on the south side. The attention on the murders would be even more intense.
    Chicago finished in last place among the finalists, so never really had a chance.

But, to be fair, Rio won the 2016 games, and I don't think Rio is the safest city around either.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Chicago finished in last place among the finalists, so never really had a chance.

But, to be fair, Rio won the 2016 games, and I don't think Rio is the safest city around either.
    That was largely considered a disappointment because most people had Chicago and Rio as the two finalist. My point however is the Chicago crime would get even more attention in the US if they were preparing for an Olympics.

That was largely considered a disappointment because most people had Chicago and Rio as the two finalist. My point however is the Chicago crime would get even more attention in the US if they were preparing for an Olympics.
    I was initially in favor of the Olympics, but I think it would have strained city resources beyond what anyone believed. Just imagine the controversey if more police hours were spent patrolling Olympic areas than residential areas where crime was happening.

While crime is only half of what it was in the 90's, I remind people that it's still going up and that we shouldn't just say, "It's not as bad as it used to be" because it easily could be if we let the gang problems get out of control.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    I was initially in favor of the Olympics, but I think it would have strained city resources beyond what anyone believed. Just imagine the controversey if more police hours were spent patrolling Olympic areas than residential areas where crime was happening.

While crime is only half of what it was in the 90's, I remind people that it's still going up and that we shouldn't just say, "It's not as bad as it used to be" because it easily could be if we let the gang problems get out of control.
    The federal government would've provided security at the olympics.

My point however is the Chicago crime would get even more attention in the US if they were preparing for an Olympics.
    Yeah, I agree. The Olympics spotlight always shines very brightly on host cities.

But I think it's American hubris that we always overrate our chances with everything, including the Olympics. We've had a ton of Olympics already, and South America had none. There was nothing really compelling about our Olympic bid, and plenty of negativity surrounding U.S. foreign policy.

And really, the American Midwest vs. stunning Rio? You have to admit that it's a sexier choice.

I think all public service workers would have been staffed in increasing numbers throughout the city regardless. The touristy areas receiving the most. Just like now...1 cop per block downtown or busy neighborhood centers.

The President likes to get dessert at the place across the street from me. Wish I could say it was ALL secret service to the folks down on the southside, except there was no shortage of CPD present.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Yeah, I agree. The Olympics spotlight always shines very brightly on host cities.

But I think it's American hubris that we always overrate our chances with everything, including the Olympics. We've had a ton of Olympics already, and South America had none. There was nothing really compelling about our Olympic bid, and plenty of negativity surrounding U.S. foreign policy.

And really, the American Midwest vs. stunning Rio? You have to admit that it's a sexier choice.
    I was in Rio last month. That city is insanely beautiful. Chicago's a nice town but it ain't no Rio.

And to think, Rio's murder rate is similar to Detroit's.

I live in Chicago and you do the math. 2Mil people, 500 murders out of the 2 Mil. 2 Mill people, 30% black [[600,000) and 500 murders [[black-on-black mainly) out of the 600,000.
    As mentioned before, shootings mostly take place in the poor sections of town, on the south and far west side.
    What's the saying -- once the horse is out the barn? And that's what's happening with gun in the hands of young black men. Kids are growing up in reverence of the "gangster" lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    I live in Chicago and you do the math. 2Mil people, 500 murders out of the 2 Mil. 2 Mill people, 30% black [[600,000) and 500 murders [[black-on-black mainly) out of the 600,000.
    As mentioned before, shootings mostly take place in the poor sections of town, on the south and far west side.
    What's the saying -- once the horse is out the barn? And that's what's happening with gun in the hands of young black men. Kids are growing up in reverence of the "gangster" lifestyle.
    It's starting to creep to the non-poor sections too though. I just moved to Detroit from Wicker Park. They tore down Cabrini-Green and other projects in an effort to mix up the population - that's led to a lot of it; it's less "contained." There was a stabbing in WP right before I left and a BoA robbery. A brutal stabbing in Lincoln Park. Wasn't there a shooting in the Mag Mile? Not to mention the flash mobs where they beat/rob random people. Two summers ago, we started having those flash mobs, then they got worse this past summer. Hesitant to see what happens this summer - I worked with CPD daily and they had a hard time dealing with that.

It's not bad yet in the "good" areas by any means - I felt safe walking alone in Bucktown/WP at any time of day...but you started seeing crime pop up here and there. You can only let it run unchecked down on the S and W sides for so long...

It's easy to ride the red line from the poorest to the richest neighborhoods. Steal a couple iPhone, take a few wallets and the ride the train back south. Maybe rob someone on the train as well.

Don't help the chief of police and sheriff in Chicago are in WAY over their head.

Oh and Crook county board president says Chicago police arrest to many blacks and browns.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I was in Rio last month. That city is insanely beautiful. Chicago's a nice town but it ain't no Rio.

And to think, Rio's murder rate is similar to Detroit's.

A whole lot of Rio is insanely uglier than even the ugliest parts of Chicago. I wouldnt base approbation by the IOC jury for a city's Olympics bid as a sign of health. Firstly, the city contest is corrupt as all hell across the board. Secondly, the murder rate in Rio is probably much higher than Chicago's. There are probably many unaccounted disappearances and murders in that city. Thirdly, as far as civil rights go, it is a well known fact that the police in brazilian cities will gladly spray bullets into youth gangmembers to regularly clean up neighborhoods at the demand of shop owners.

As bad as the situation is in Chicago, and it is supremely bad, dont get me wrong; it is still a lot better than the misery of Rio's favelas, except in winter weather. Finally, Chicago is a beautiful city, no slouch compared to Rio.

Just look for Detroit street or Chicago street [[rua Detroit) in Google streetview, and you will appreciate the less touristy conditions of the city.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    A whole lot of Rio is insanely uglier than even the ugliest parts of Chicago. I wouldnt base approbation by the IOC jury for a city's Olympics bid as a sign of health. Firstly, the city contest is corrupt as all hell across the board. Secondly, the murder rate in Rio is probably much higher than Chicago's. There are probably many unaccounted disappearances and murders in that city. Thirdly, as far as civil rights go, it is a well known fact that the police in brazilian cities will gladly spray bullets into youth gangmembers to regularly clean up neighborhoods at the demand of shop owners.

As bad as the situation is in Chicago, and it is supremely bad, dont get me wrong; it is still a lot better than the misery of Rio's favelas, except in winter weather. Finally, Chicago is a beautiful city, no slouch compared to Rio.

Just look for Detroit street or Chicago street [[rua Detroit) in Google streetview, and you will appreciate the less touristy conditions of the city.
    I'm aware that not all of the city looks like Leblon. That wasn't my first visit to Rio.

But the most positive attributes of Chicago can't match the most positive attributes of Rio.

Middle-class families live in walled compounds with private security in Rio, you can't swim at the beaches because of the pollution. I'll take Chicago any day of the week. Chicago has always been a showplace for economic segregation, not to mention racial segregation. They made a concerted effort to keep the poor and black populations away from the wealthy. The only reason an El was allowed to run straight from the southside to the wealthier parts of town was so their servants could make the trip more efficiently.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Middle-class families live in walled compounds with private security in Rio, you can't swim at the beaches because of the pollution. I'll take Chicago any day of the week. Chicago has always been a showplace for economic segregation, not to mention racial segregation. They made a concerted effort to keep the poor and black populations away from the wealthy. The only reason an El was allowed to run straight from the southside to the wealthier parts of town was so their servants could make the trip more efficiently.
    They made an effort buy placing Cabrini-Green right next to one of the wealthiest areas of the city.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post

The question is, what city is the most segregated, which holds the unenviable title in that category?

Brazilian cities are very cosmopolitan and worldly in the wealthier parts and also, in a sense, there is a more interracial coupling than most other countries. Brazil is evolving fast in terms of civil rights but there is great economic and social disparity between darker folks and lighter ones.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast