Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit mayor asks for donations for new ambulances

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/D...z/-/index.html

My hubby who works on the city's fleet says he doesn't think the rigs will last another six months!

Bing should have negotiated a deal with the Big 3 for new EMS equipment a couple of weeks ago. He should have held a press conference in front of a new truck along with Business & Community leaders. He should have had EMS workers present to tell their stories of how desperately this equipment is needed, along with citizens from various neighborhoods. He should have held up a big cheque for 6 million dollars and asked Council to help him save lives by approving the Belle Isle lease. In other words, show some leadership.

Shollin Guest

Why do people keep thinking Detroit would just have 6 million from Belle Isle to spend elsewhere? They wouldn't. It would be an expense off their hands, not 6 million freed up. Besides, just close Belle Isle and allocate the money than to the ambulance. What is Bing suppose to do? he orchestrated the lease with the state, but council just sat on their hands, yet it's thrown in the lap of Bing.

You think. That would have been to like right! Yep, no leadership or hutzpa to compel or inspire. So now I guess he'll just beg! Let's see how this works out!

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    He should have held up a big cheque for 6 million dollars and asked Council to help him save lives by approving the Belle Isle lease. In other words, show some leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    You think. That would have been to like right! Yep, no leadership or hutzpa to compel or inspire. So now I guess he'll just beg! Let's see how this works out!
    It's far from clear that if approached, the Big 3 would write checks to donate for municipal services. They're already writing big tax checks as it is.

Less than a year ago, there was a proposal to increase property taxes to cover more police coverage and the reaction was total fury. So why wouldn't the Big 3 react the same way?

You have tons of people who are ready and willing to give to Detroit, but not til after it rights its house. We have bloated structural costs and an obstructionist City Council. Get rid of both of them, and the money will start flying in.

Bing should have negotiated a deal with the Big 3 for new EMS equipment a couple of weeks ago. He should have held a press conference in front of a new truck along with Business & Community leaders. He should have had EMS workers present to tell their stories of how desperately this equipment is needed, along with citizens from various neighborhoods. He should have held up a big cheque for 6 million dollars and asked Council to help him save lives by approving the Belle Isle lease. In other words, show some leadership.
    Provided there's still a city to lead, vote out ALL incumbents on August 6th, 2013!!!
    Last edited by 313WX; January-30-13 at 11:01 PM.

Eleven working ambulances in the entire city of Detroit!!

If this isn't enough disturbing news to make one want to leave the city then I don't know what is? Especially if you have children.

I know the business community and other donors will step forward to buy more ambulances but when does the bleeding end? How long can Detroit run off of donated money?

UNBELIEVABLE!!

For certain it is very disturbing to know that if you need medical help when seconds count, an ambulance will be half an hour or so away, if available at all.

You best have some emergency funds available to call one of the private services, perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post
    Eleven working ambulances in the entire city of Detroit!!

If this isn't enough disturbing news to make one want to leave the city then I don't know what is? Especially if you have children.

I know the business community and other donors will step forward to buy more ambulances but when does the bleeding end? How long can Detroit run off of donated money?

UNBELIEVABLE!!
    Why exactly do you find that unbelievable?

Default ....I agree wholeheartedly 401don

....are you kidding me? All I've heard from Lansing is "We want to help." All I've heard from Detroit City Councel is, "We'll take the money...but you can't tell us what to do with it." "After all, K'whyMe? Kilpatrick is in dire straits and needs money... !!!" As far as I'm concerned. Detroit City Councel really dropped the ball on this one [[Belle Isle) Idiots !!! "We need MORE TIME to study this." P.S. This is not the all-time low for Detroit. The ALL-TIME LOW was when the Detroit Fire Chief had to go on network news and plead for 'toilet paper donations' from the citizens of Detroit, for the decrepit firehouses throughout the city. Now THAT'S low. Clear ALL those elected officials out of office...and start fresh.
    Last edited by JohnnyFreddy; January-31-13 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    For certain it is very disturbing to know that if you need medical help when seconds count, an ambulance will be half an hour or so away, if available at all.

You best have some emergency funds available to call one of the private services, perhaps.
    Or, you can simply move across 8 Mile where the energency response time is more or less 5 minutes without additional money coming out of pocket beyond your tax dollars.

Asking for donations to solve a problem of life and death that should never have been allowed to develop is about as effective as trying to clear the snow of your drive by piddling on it.
    Last edited by coracle; January-31-13 at 04:31 PM.

Maybe we can convince those people giving Kilpatrick all those monetary gifts, he claims to have gotten, to give the money to the city.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Or, you can simply move across 8 Mile where the energency response time is more or less 5 minutes without additional money coming out of pocket beyond your tax dollars.
    You don't want to be accused of "abandoning" Detroit.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    You don't want to be accused of "abandoning" Detroit.
    Unless your white then you're a racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    Unless your white then you're a racist.
    No doubt about it.

Hah! It's getting harder to hang on that is for sure. Basic services absent and high crime and robberies. Yeah not a good time...

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post

leduff keeps talking about that donated green firetruck sitting in the garage, right next to the toilet paper.

maybe they should try selling it if they wont use it ?