Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best Restaurant or Bar to Dine Alone

I will be in Detroit attending a concert at the Masonic Temple next month and I would like a few recommendations of a decent restaurant or bar in the area.

I like Cliff Bell's on Park Avenue or Foran's Grand Trunk Pub on Woodward. Both are great for scenery, food and people. Foran's is more bar/restaurant while Cliff Bell's is a jazz club.

I love jazz so Cliff Bell's sounds nice, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahogany View Post
    I will be in Detroit attending a concert at the Masonic Temple next month and I would like a few recommendations of a decent restaurant or bar in the area.
    You coming in from out of town?

If so, head over to Park Bar and get the chicken shwarama. It's close. The crowd at Park is always welcoming and you'll probably find someone to talk to to pass the time, if you'd like that, otherwise you can be left alone. Also, the schwarama is approaching local legend status, but you don't have lines like a lot of the other places. Here's an article:

http://www.freep.com/article/2012011...-in-the-making

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post
    If so, head over to Park Bar and get the chicken shwarama.
    Park Bar and Cliff Bell's are next door to one another.

The chicken shwarma is the best I have ever eaten. But heed this warning: The garlic sauce that comes with it can kill the weak, elderly or infirm.

Yep, love Cliff Bell's, but [[for me) it's more of a place where I make the majority of my night, especially with the cover, than a stop in and have a few drinks before a show.

Good area, though, with a number of options if he/she doesn't like the vibe at the first stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post
    You coming in from out of town?

If so, head over to Park Bar and get the chicken shwarama. It's close. The crowd at Park is always welcoming and you'll probably find someone to talk to to pass the time, if you'd like that, otherwise you can be left alone. Also, the schwarama is approaching local legend status, but you don't have lines like a lot of the other places. Here's an article:

http://www.freep.com/article/2012011...-in-the-making
    EBW, I'm not coming in from a different state or anything. I living within driving distance of the D.

I would like to have someone to chat with so the friendly people won't bother me at all, thanks.

now I've got "do you know where you're going to..." stuck in my head.

I think you will find the same food if your alone or with another person.
    Perhaps a date is really what you need.
    But if your worried about being alone then a bar would be best

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    I think you will find the same food if your alone or with another person.
    Perhaps a date is really what you need.
    But if your worried about being alone then a bar would be best
    Which would be?

Are you looking at something close by to Masonic? What kind of food do you like?
    I go to dinner alone all the time, so I sit at the bar and flirt with the waitresses.

My wife and I were at Rodin in the Park Shelton a couple weeks ago met a very nice woman from Indianapolis who was dining alone.

Honest? John's Bar and No Grill -- nearby -- friendly -- decent bar food -- free parking -- and it does have a grill contrary to the name -- food available from 7am to 2am every day without fail -- fear no early closing kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    Are you looking at something close by to Masonic? What kind of food do you like?
    I go to dinner alone all the time, so I sit at the bar and flirt with the waitresses.
    It doesn't have to be all that close by and I like all food except sushi .

And you will be eating before the show?

That's the plan.

There are so many options.
    Slows is a great BBQ place or even Rubs
    Forans is a fun and Irish Pub like.
    The Park bar is great choice, they even have mideast food.
    I used to go the Jacoby's but havent been in awhile, they have German food
    So many options. If your looking for more fancy then that opens up a bunch of places
    Last edited by kenp; January-29-13 at 01:44 PM.

I will do my research on these, thanks.

I'll add Detroit Beer Co. Great beer and food, I've been there alone quite often and staff/customers are usually both friendly.

Another option is Atlas at Woodward and Charlotte, right down the street from the Masonic. They have a bar menu that is less fancy than the regular fare. Also, very freindly staff.

I love Bucharest Grille, but they put way too much garlic sauce on their shawarma's and the same goes for the falafel wrap.

I always ask for light sauce otherwise my GI tract hates me.

Then it's authentic... I eat alot of authentic middle-eastern food so that level of garlic would be ok with me! I must try this place!

Quote Originally Posted by Vic_doucette View Post
    ...But heed this warning: The garlic sauce that comes with it can kill the weak, elderly or infirm.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Then it's authentic... I eat alot of authentic middle-eastern food so that level of garlic would be ok with me! I must try this place!
    Then try the $2.50 garlic paste in the cooler @ The New Yazmin Bakery. It'll clear up last seasons congestion!

Yipee! I like it strong enough to make your ears burn! But I can take the lighter versions that also out there at some restaurants. Thanks.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-29-13 at 11:06 PM.

Zacha, I am a tad surprised to learn you have not yet experienced the shwarma at Bucharest. You will enjoy the experience.

Bring clorettes if you hope to kiss on anyone.

ever.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast