Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Krakow Street.

Default Krakow Street.

I was wondering is anyone knew where a street that was named Krakow was located.
    It seems that Krakow has vanished off the map in Detroit; I saw some old pictures of houses on that street, and I was curious where it was located within Detroit proper.
    Thanks for any responses.

Krakow was in Black bottom off Hastings south of Forest. This is from a 1930 map.

Attachment 18061

There is a Krakow Place listed in the Forest Park neighborhood which is right about where the 1930 Detroit map lists it. It looks like it's been incorporated into the low income housing near Sweetest Heart. It crossed Rivard just south of Forest. this is a link to Google map of the area.
    http://goo.gl/maps/2dWqS

this is a link to the site I found the Forest Park info on:
    http://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...etroit-MI.html

Am I seeing that right... Cracow St. is Garfield to the east and west of that spot? Looks like it went the way of Rowena St.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Am I seeing that right... Cracow St. is Garfield to the east and west of that spot? Looks like it went the way of Rowena St.
    It also looks like Forest was known as Warsaw in that area and Fremont was Winter and Canfield was Alder. Must have been some sort of enclave.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    It also looks like Forest was known as Warsaw in that area and Fremont was Winter and Canfield was Alder. Must have been some sort of enclave.
    Yeah, an enclave worthy of three competing churches within a half mile of each other, and one radical pastor who was kicked out of the Church...from what I understand, the third church was built by his congregation AFTER that.

Cheers from half my lineage...those Poles.

That church on the I-75 service drive has a mural of WWI trench warfare up front...creeped me out so bad I never went back to it.
    Last edited by Gannon; January-29-13 at 07:59 AM.

Damn, they each had a street named after 'em, too...one is the SAME STREET on either side of the rr tracks. Wonder which was the 'wrong' side?!

Too funny...see St. Josafats, St. Agnes, and St. Albertus. What a clusterfick of confusing street names within one mile of travel. That's probably why they bulldozed it for I-75.

Whachoo got against Ks, Gistoc?!

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Whachoo got against Ks, Gistoc?!
    Ops... I saw Warsaw [[instead of Warszawa) and got confused.

As I recall, Dom Polski Hall was also in the Polish mix there [[on Forest, near Chene). My grandmother was from Krakow [[Poland, not the street).

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    You, and jcole below you, are misreading the map a bit. All of those streets are very short streets just to the north or south of those longer streets. Some, like Warsaw Pl. or St. Albertus Pl., are still in existence.

Circa 1950 map of Krakow Place:

Name:  krakow st sanborn 1950.jpg
Views: 2031
Size:  58.1 KB

Difficult to see on the 1930's map. Much plainer on the map you provided. In my initial post I did assume it was a separate street, based on the link to city-data, but couldn't differentiate Krakow from Forest on the 1930's map.
    Thanks.

That was an all Polish region of Detroit a, part of Chene Street Neighborhood. As I am sure most of you know Chene Street is named Joseph Campau going north into Hamtramck beginning around Dodge Main, another Polish enclave. It was demolished for I75 and I94. Many street names have Polish connotations. I can recall many a good time on Hastings.

Thanks to everyone for their input; now I have a full understanding of that area.
    I also see that a lot has changed in that area; that the actual street Krakow is no longer there, that a housing project in on the area that the street use to be.
    Thanks again.
    Last edited by highjinx2; February-01-13 at 10:49 AM.

Picture of Krakow St. 1968 from Ebay.

Attachment 18119