Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Fighting Crime in Midtown & some crazy statistics

Interesting story on fighting crime in Midtown. I was amazed to see that so many crimes took place in a two week period, 59 larcenies? Holy crap!

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...NEWS/301279964

"According to information provided at the latest CompStat meeting last week, there were three sexual assaults, 12 aggravated assaults, 11 robberies, 56 larcenies, and 23 stolen cars, all within a four-square-mile radius in Midtown from Jan. 1-23.

The figures are significantly down from years past. For instance, last year during the same two-week period there were 39 stolen vehicles in the same area."

Business owners are understandably quiet about high crime rates but it doesn't do anyone any good to hide it.
    Last edited by Detroitkid; January-28-13 at 10:52 AM.

56 larcenies... My apologies. I got a little overzealous

Looks like the criminals are paying attention to the news these days, regarding the comeback of the Midtown/downtown area? It's only natural for crime to breed where population and economic growth are concentrating. It could be the one negative backlash from all of the positive media stories regarding Midtown's success but I don't think it's detrimental to its continued growth.

Neighbors and businesses just have to be a lot more alert at all times. It's still too early to be relaxed. Detroit criminals are cut from a unique cloth.

This little tidbit from the article is promising. If you live in or own a business here in the neighborhood, definitely take advantage of this program.

Sue Mosey, president of Midtown Inc., said Midtown property owners can receive up to $5,000 in matching grants if they are willing to have a Wayne State police officer come to their establishment to conduct a security audit that includes a crime history report for the address.
    "Anyone in the neighborhood, a business or property owner, can get help for security upgrades, alarms, video surveillance and better lighting," Mosey said. "The reality is big cities like Detroit have crime."

Midtown Inc. began the security grant program in February 2011; so far 40 individuals have signed up.