Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Are there any good gyms in the city of Detroit?

Outside of the closed Powerhouse gym on Jefferson Ave [[replaced by Robinson Furniture), there doesn't seem to be any real, good gyms in the city of Detroit.

-YMCA [[Bolle): I forsee myself racking up a ton of parking tickets if I join this downtown gym [[$45/month)

-Ren Cen fitness center: geared more towards people who working in the Ren Cen...not open on the weekends [[~$50 month)

Any other gyms that I may have missed in the city of Detroit? It seems like most of the chains [[e.g., planet fitness, LA fitness) are all in the suburbs.

fitness works in the New Center area

The YMCA has some parking deals with nearby lots for $25/mo or $2/day but you can't use them during baseball or football games. FWIW, I have always been able to find street parking [[so far) but I bet that will change as more residential buildings open and people move to the greater downtown area.

There's a CrossFit opening soon if not already open in the Cass Corridor. And Fitness Works up in New Center. http://www.fitnessworksclub.com/
    Last edited by TexasT; January-27-13 at 09:56 PM.

I belong to Fitnessworks. I think they matched the pricing for the YMCA. Plenty of free secure parking, which is what really made us change from the Y. Been a member about 2 years, still like it.

Detroit Athletic Club.....

The Millender Center offers memberships. Not bad, I worked out there for about a year. http://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel...roit-downtown/ It was a better deal than either Fitness Works or the Y.

Other than Fitness Works, there are no traditional gyms. Downtown needs one more. I would gladly switch form the YMCA which is lacking in key weight-lifting equipment.

The Boll YMCA has a great running track and one of the best pools I have ever swam in, although I agree with ismoakrack that the weight equipment is lacking. Living downtown, I usually walk or ride my bike there, so parking isn't an issue.

I have been hearing little birdies chirping that LA Fitness is contemplating a downtown location. I would love that, as long as they have handball courts of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I have been hearing little birdies chirping that LA Fitness is contemplating a downtown location. I would love that, as long as they have handball courts of course.
    Didn't know people still play handball LOL ! Kinda old school isn't it ?

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Didn't know people still play handball LOL ! Kinda old school isn't it ?
    Ha Ha, it is a fast moving game. Many of the nicer places have combination handball/raquetball courts. Do you think that this should be placed in the dustbin along with Chariot Races? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Dtroit View Post
    Outside of the closed Powerhouse gym on Jefferson Ave [[replaced by Robinson Furniture), there doesn't seem to be any real, good gyms in the city of Detroit.

-YMCA [[Bolle): I forsee myself racking up a ton of parking tickets if I join this downtown gym [[$45/month)

-Ren Cen fitness center: geared more towards people who working in the Ren Cen...not open on the weekends [[~$50 month)

Any other gyms that I may have missed in the city of Detroit? It seems like most of the chains [[e.g., planet fitness, LA fitness) are all in the suburbs.
    Brand new place call True Body Fitness just opened up. Thought this was funny

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

I almost never have a problem parking at the Y - I just never park on Broadway. I'm usually on Center right across from the old Millender building. Been going for over a year now and maybe one parking ticket because I didn't have change that time. Fiance and I get a discount because she works for the DMC.

There is a Powerhouse Gym on Grand River in North Rosedale Park.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Detroit Athletic Club.....
    Saturday, I saw someone carrying a Detroit Athletic Club bag at the gym I work out at here in NYC. That was pretty random...

Planet Fitness works for me. Simple place, no pool or handball but clean with weights and machines and circuit training area. Parking lot for easy parking. Nearest Detroit location is on Ford Road just off Southfield freeway! Only $10 a month for just one site use of $29 for use off all locations.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-28-13 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    There is a Powerhouse Gym on Grand River in North Rosedale Park.
    There is also the original on Woodward N of the RR X-ing and S of McNichols.

Not a "real good gym" granted, but Detroit Yacht Club. You can work out and then undo your workout by getting trashed in the hot tub. Nice restaurant, nice bar, outdoor pool is the best in the summertime. About double the price of a regular gym [[cheaper for under 30's) but worth it to me. Great place to meet and mingle with other Detroiters, too.

My sister used FitnessWorks for quite some time before she left town, and she even worked there for awhile. My mother still goes there to swim every week, and they have a very nice deal for seniors through an arrangement with Henry Ford Hospital.

For my workouts I go to Marge's for hockey...

Default Possible Use of WSU facilities

Wayne State has two gyms available. Matthei has a weight room and other features [[handball courts!) and the Student Fitness Center on campus has everything but handball courts and pool In the past you could join the University community via the Alumni organization for about $50/yr. and that gave you access to Matthei. For the fitnexx center you have to buy a membership that is somewhere in the $300 per year range.

Quote Originally Posted by fzappa2000 View Post
    Wayne State has two gyms available. Matthei has a weight room and other features [[handball courts!) and the Student Fitness Center on campus has everything but handball courts and pool In the past you could join the University community via the Alumni organization for about $50/yr. and that gave you access to Matthei. For the fitnexx center you have to buy a membership that is somewhere in the $300 per year range.
    Do they allow non-students/non-alumni to join the Waynestate gyms?

Quote Originally Posted by Dtroit View Post
    Do they allow non-students/non-alumni to join the Waynestate gyms?
    http://rfc.wayne.edu/membership.php
    ^That looks to be the website w/membership information.

fzappa2000, overall what do you think of WSU's gym? I've been here since 2008 and still haven't stepped foot inside Mort Harris, LOL. I desperately need to start going, especially considering it's included in my tuition!!