Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sam Bernstein Commercials and Ads

Is it intentional or accidental on where these ads are placed and when they air? I've noticed alot of billboards in sub par neighborhoods. The advertising is when jobless people are at home sitting on the couch watching the latest talk show drama. Is he preying on these people because they are the ones that are easiest to convince they were hurt by that crack in the sidewalk? These types of people honestly believe they were injured then and he makes out. And people wonder why stuff costs so much. Crooked lawyers and dumb laws.

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    These types of people honestly believe they were injured then and he makes out.
    Um, lawyers don't get to "make out" by convincing the guy sitting on his couch that he is injured. At some point you're also going to have to convince a judge and then a jury. That's usually more difficult to fake, what with the evidence and all [[not to mention the Engler-appointed appellate judiciary that works for the insurance industry).

As for the advertising question, the Bernsteins seem to be pretty ubiquitous. I wouldn't be surprised if they do target lower-income folks in general, but his ads are everywhere nowadays. They're a big sponsor of Tigers telecasts, for example.

cheddar bob Guest

Some of the ads have changed now, but when they first came out, I loved how the blind guy was the only one facing somewhere off in the distance instead of at the camera. It was like that on all of the billboards and tv ads. Hilarious.

That blind guy is planning to run for Attorney General.

TV ads for attorneys can get under the skin. However, recently I had need of a probate attorney, and among all the TV ads for the ambulance chasers was one for probate matters. Gave his office a call and I couldn't have been happier with his work. Life's a gamble anyway.

quote: "...I loved how the blind guy was the only one facing somewhere off in the distance..."
    The blind guy is Richard Bernstein, who has completed numerous marathons and has acted as a supporter of disabled people throughout his life. I respect him, and his accomplishments.

Richard is quite an impressive person.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayof...man/index.html

What is intentional is that more affluent communities have much more stringent laws regarding billboards as well as the ability to be able to afford to police them. For example, you will see way more billboards along M-39 in Detroit than you will in Dearborn or Southfield. Airing of the ads are typically during the off=peak times because thats when you can get the most bang for your advertising buck because during peak viewing hours all you see is stuff by deep pocketed national retailers/manufacturers.

These ads can't be escaped either. I often spend weekends up north and they air on TV there also. They have an office in Traverse City.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    That blind guy is planning to run for Attorney General.

He's already on the Wayne State Board of Governors. And I've heard firsthand that he's a very sharp guy.

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    Is it intentional or accidental on where these ads are placed and when they air? I've noticed alot of billboards in sub par neighborhoods. The advertising is when jobless people are at home sitting on the couch watching the latest talk show drama. Is he preying on these people because they are the ones that are easiest to convince they were hurt by that crack in the sidewalk? These types of people honestly believe they were injured then and he makes out. And people wonder why stuff costs so much. Crooked lawyers and dumb laws.
    I don't have any connections with the Bernstein's, so I cannot say this with 100% certainty that this IS what they are doing, but from the people that I know who are/were in the advertising business, what they tell me is that for advertisers to get the "biggest bang for their buck", they will target their ads to the demographic that best fits their product/service.

Bottom line: They will runs their ads during certain times and on certain shows that have the audience who will most likely use what their advertising.

Retroit Guest

What better way to win a case against a deep-pocketed defendant than to select a plaintiff and a jury from among the "oppressed masses".

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

cheddar bob Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    quote: "...I loved how the blind guy was the only one facing somewhere off in the distance..."
    The blind guy is Richard Bernstein, who has completed numerous marathons and has acted as a supporter of disabled people throughout his life. I respect him, and his accomplishments.
    Good for you. Now why couldn't someone tell him he was facing the wrong way? I kind of feel bad for the guy...

I'll say this about the Bernstein's, they are very nice, involved and committed people. You'll get the best representation from them. As described here earlier, Richard is much more than just a 'blind' person. He's a dynamic lawyer and activist. About 25 years ago, Sam represented a member of my family. He did an excellent job and won. It wasn't a 'big' case, either. I've had personal and business relationships with them and they've always been right up front. Yeah, sometimes I see the ads and I wonder, but if you think about advertising, what are it's boundaries? The Bernsteins use it liberally. Look at the things advertised on TV now that we would have never dreamed about 10 or 20 years ago.

The Bernsteins don't push the envelope that much in my opinion. I sometimes think they play the family angle a little too hard in their ads, especially considering they have 12 other attorneys not named Bernstein. And hearing "Call Sam" every two seconds gets annoying, but it's not too obnoxious as far as local advertising goes.

Here's what really bad lawyer advertising looks like:

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/lists/p...yer-ads-051809

cheddar bob Guest

I've never met Richard Bernstein, or ever had anything to do with his family or his law practice so to me, he's just some blind guy. Since some here seem to be his best friend, do me a favor and ask him why he's looking at the top of the dude's head next to him while everyone else is looking straight ahead. And possibly more importantly, why didn't anyone tell him?

I always just assumed it was because the guy was such an asshole that nobody bothered to say anything. Now everybody is saying he a stand up guy so now I'm even more puzzled.

Cheddar, I have a theory. It sounds sort of mean. But Richard is an odd-looking guy, and I think the fact that he's looking in the wrong direction alerts people to the fact that he's blind. Like you're supposed to think, "oh, that guy's not weird looking, he's blind. I better not think less of him for it." But more people seem to have your take on it. It does look a little ridiculous. Either way, I'm glad to hear he has his supporters out there.

Quote Originally Posted by cheddar bob View Post
    Now why couldn't someone tell him he was facing the wrong way? I kind of feel bad for the guy...
    I agree. It just looks silly.

Downtown diva Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wash_man View Post
    These ads can't be escaped either. I often spend weekends up north and they air on TV there also. They have an office in Traverse City.
    the ads can be escaped. read a book.

Quote: "I kind of feel bad for the guy..."

As you're laughing your ass off..

I think Cloud_wall, #17 and Downtown diva, #19, got it right.

cheddar bob Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    Quote: "I kind of feel bad for the guy..."

As you're laughing your ass off..
    You've never laughed at someone that fell down, while feeling sorry for them at the same time?

Richard has competed in at least one triathalon that I know of. If you aren't impressed by him after meeting him, I don't think you can be impressed by anyone.

The Rock has had some good things to say about him in the past.

Well they say justice is blind, then what better man to have in your corner then Richard Bernstein. To get where he is at and be blind on top of that it is something.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast