Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default too much salt????

driving down I-75 today, I was enveloped in a haze that seemed odd. then I saw the salt being kicked up by the other cars. Sheesh! When does it become too much?

You feeling a little salty today?

They put down a lot less than they used to.

Maybe they're trying to get rid of the surplus they've accumulated over the past few years. Seems like it's a finer grade than the rock salt of old.

As someone that used to plow and salt for a living, it's not an exact science.

You have to remember that salting is often done in the dark, when it's snowing, while driving in traffic and the you have to add the fact that it's thrown behind the truck, not in front where the driver can see it easily. The salt doesn't always come out at a consistent speed, and depending on the road conditions sometimes it bounces 40ft across the pavement and the next time it sticks right where it drops.

It can also settle/freeze and bind up while in truck. Because of this it's not kept in the truck any longer than necessary. Drivers that end up with extra salt will dump it heavy towards the end of their runs, because even a little bit left in the box can lead to big problems.

They might have put it down early for the impending ice storm that's headed this way tonight.

I had my car washed yesterday and today, after about 40 miles on I-94 over two days, the car is covered in salt. Yet, the weather was decent. There must be an awful lot of salt on the roads.

I wish they'd dump some of that salt on the side streets. Two weeks ago some kid slid into my parked caddi after we hadnt seen a poof of snow in several days.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    I had my car washed yesterday and today, after about 40 miles on I-94 over two days, the car is covered in salt. Yet, the weather was decent. There must be an awful lot of salt on the roads.
    January in Detroit is a tough month to keep your car clean.

Considering the dumping we just got, maybe the crews watch the weather reports more than we do, and threw down some salt knowing this was coming?

Too Much Salt????

Not good for your city's arteries...

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Too Much Salt????

Not good for your city's arteries...
    That is why they augment it now with beet juice!

http://abcnews.go.com/US/keeping-win...ry?id=12516559

Shoulda' stuck your Fries out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    That is why they augment it now with beet juice!

http://abcnews.go.com/US/keeping-win...ry?id=12516559

Yep. they are trying this here too.

Maybe it was that overturned salt truck from the other thread!?