Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Middle-Eastern Grocery Stores

I have recently relocated to Detroit [[Lafayette Park) from Cleveland Ohio. Cleveland has a fairly sizeable Arab-American population -- but one which pales in comparison to Detroit's -- and I had become pretty used to shopping in the Middle-East stores there. Can anyone recommend favorite places in Detroit or Dearborn where I can get those items I miss -- Bulk canvas bags of Basmati rice, Palestinian olive oil, "Old-world style" yoghurt, Turkish sour cherry nectar, and so forth? Thanx!

try hamtramck for closer shopping.

...Isn't Lafayette Foods in your backyard?

Also, Dearborn Fresh, at Michigan Ave./Schaefer has a vast selection of items that are middle-eastern culture specific, including import-brands.. the site used to be a Kroger.

Greenland Market on Warren Avenue should have everything you need.
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/super-greenland-market-dearborn

There are two locations on Warren. The one closest to you would be the Chase store. It is very large. A smaller one is by Greenfield. It is best for quick in and outs.

ArmDetroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Greenland Market on Warren Avenue should have everything you need.
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/super-greenland-market-dearborn

There are two locations on Warren. The one closest to you would be the Chase store. It is very large. A smaller one is by Greenfield. It is best for quick in and outs.

Agreed, this place is awesome and will have everything you're looking for.

Thanx DetroitPlanner and ArmDetroit for the suggestion. I might check Greenland out this afternoon. Hypestyles, I do use Lafayette Foods for my everyday shopping, as well as La Colmena and YOBS.

I think very highly of Greenland on Warren - but I thought it was at Miller road. The fruit and vegetable selections are great and for great prices. I always check the dairy aisle because imported European cultured butter is often on sale. Bulk spices are abundant, nuts and grains are available in bulk - it's just a good store! Although grocery mainstays are stocked more sparingly, it is a Spartan store, so many American menu products are available too.

There is also a Super Greenland on Ford Rd and Beech Daly - Dearborn Heights...go on "Wild Wednesday"...the Dearborn Hts. location does not have a deli with prepared food.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    I think very highly of Greenland on Warren - but I thought it was at Miller road.
    You're correct. I had a brain fart. There are smaller markets at Chase as well as the chicken killerz!

If you're ever near Sterling Heights, try this place [[read the reviews)

http://www.yelp.com/biz/international-food-sterling-heights

I hit all sorts of ethnic markets and for "Middle-Eastern" this place has it all, plus some. I haven't seen anything like this in Dearborn, or Hamtramck. As a bonus, the area has quite a variety of small, ethnic restaurants for lunch...

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_uke View Post
    There is also a Super Greenland on Ford Rd and Beech Daly - Dearborn Heights...go on "Wild Wednesday"...the Dearborn Hts. location does not have a deli with prepared food.
    Dude shut up about wild Wednesday! Stores don't need to be any more crowded than they already are. Gotta go early now or it's picked over!

Al-Haramain International market on Caniff. Burlaps of Basmati and all.

Yes, I've worked in Dearborn for many years and on Wednesday all of the store do the deep discounts ala Wild Wednesday but it's so crowded and the prices so low otherwise I rarely go that day. Still it's great bargains!

Yep, Greenland on Miller is great. A bit of trivia - it was originally the old Camalot movie theater! I watched over the years starting back when the building was converted to a store. They fully expanded about five years ago.

In addition to all of the vast authentic middle-eastern products, produce in general is great and extremely affordable [[5 - 10 lemons for a dollar, bell peppers a dollar or less each is standard fare, not a sale price). If you are doing any kind of juicing where you need alot of produce the prices here and at other stores in east Dearborn is the edge.

All of the Krogers in Dearborn have had to reduce their outrageous produce prices to compete with the middle-east markets. Good their stuff was too high.

Greenland also has a section in the back with hot cooked foods, rices dishes, cooked chicken, fish, non-pork salami like meats, fresh meat cut to order, cheeses of varied kinds, stuffed grape leaves, baba ganouch [[sp?), hummus, pastries, etc. Very good prices.

There's another Greenland on Ford Rd. not too far from Telegraph in west Dearborn but it is not as expansive in selection.

I think very highly of Greenland on Warren - but I thought it was at Miller road. The fruit and vegetable selections are great and for great prices. I always check the dairy aisle because imported European cultured butter is often on sale. Bulk spices are abundant, nuts and grains are available in bulk - it's just a good store! Although grocery mainstays are stocked more sparingly, it is a Spartan store, so many American menu products are available too.

East Dearborn has many stores with Greenland being the best IMO. A drive down either Ford Rd, Warren or Michigan Ave will give you many options. Especially along Ford Rd. by Chase. These stores have been a mainstay for me to have access to affordable high-quality produce and varied rice and grain products I like.

Quote Originally Posted by CleveBill View Post
    Bulk canvas bags of Basmati rice, Palestinian olive oil, "Old-world style" yoghurt, Turkish sour cherry nectar, and so forth? Thanx!

Yeah, if you are into olives at the Miller street store Greenland has an open olive bar with every kind of olive you want. Yummy!

Quote Originally Posted by ArmDetroit View Post
    Agreed, this place is awesome and will have everything you're looking for.

I don't buy the meat. It's all Halal, throats slit while conscious and dedicated to Allah - somehow I can't eat it.

jj84...I am not a dude.....I am an older female.....of the recently widowed and can't keep my mouth shut variety. I know Greenland is crowded.....but for me that means I can be around people and not talk to them...plus the hustle and bustle is a part of the fun. I won't go to the Greenland on Warren Avenue because I am too weak to resist the goodies at Shatila Bakery - especially the ice cream....... @Zacha - there is also an olive bar at the Dearborn Hts. location. Perhaps someday we'll see Middle Eastern goodies at Eastern market.

That's a point... I'm not a huge meat eater anyhow so that's not my main purchase. I just mostly do the veggies, grains and rice there. The best prices in town along with other similar stores in the area.

I don't buy the meat. It's all Halal, throats slit while conscious and dedicated to Allah - somehow I can't eat it.

Cool. That's a way further for me but thanks for the info. I like that Greenland is open until 9PM, sometimes later... I need to find out there official hours.

Zacha - there is also an olive bar at the Dearborn Hts. location. Perhaps someday we'll see Middle Eastern goodies at Eastern market.

Perhaps someday we'll see Middle Eastern goodies at Eastern market.
    Actually the wholesale side of Eastern Market is already supplying the Middle Eastern community with Halal meats. Though I understand your comment, not too many retail outlets specializing in Middle Eastern foods. Rockies carries some, as does Germack, but nothing like Greenland.

jj84...I am not a dude.....I am an older female.....of the recently widowed and can't keep my mouth shut variety. I know Greenland is crowded.....but for me that means I can be around people and not talk to them...plus the hustle and bustle is a part of the fun. I won't go to the Greenland on Warren Avenue because I am too weak to resist the goodies at Shatila Bakery - especially the ice cream....... @Zacha - there is also an olive bar at the Dearborn Hts. location. Perhaps someday we'll see Middle Eastern goodies at Eastern market.
    I meant it tongue and cheek - sorry you didn't get that.

There are plenty of middle eastern supermarkets aroung the Metro-Detroit area. Dearborn, Dearborn Heights and fewer places around Southfield, Farmington Hills, West Bloomfield TWP, Troy, Canton, Warren and Sterling Heights are the hot spots. The Biggest located middle eastern Supermarket in the Metro-Detroit area is Greenland. It's like going to a Kroger Fresh Fare, but with middle eastern atmosphere. I been to the one on W. Warren Ave and Chase St.years ago in Dearborn. It's very big and filled with goodies galore. The Market is expanded and another located along Ford Rd. Beech Daly Rd. will serve a fast growing Arab Muslim community there, too.

Not sure if this store was mentioned. There's Eastborn market in Dearborn on Wyoming just north of Warren. Fruits and veggies, spices, bins of different rices and beans or you can get the bulk bags, olive oils, bread, groceries, household, etc. They just recently built a bakery in the back for fresh baked breads, pastries, etc. Breads are brought in everyday from other bakeries too. Wednesday is discount day. In the spring out in the parking lot they sell fresh veggie and flower plants for gardeners.

I've lived in the area most of my life and some of you may remember that years ago there was a Bonanza restaurant where Eastborn is now. The owners bought the restaurant and converted it to the market.

Several years later they expanded and built a bigger market. There are a few strip malls nearby with small stores, cleaners, laundry mat, pharmacy, small meat markets, beauty supply. Also the usual party stores and gas stations. If you need that fast food fix, Micky D's, Taco Bell, Subway are all in a row on Wyoming. Across Warren is BK's. On Warren just down west of Wyoming is KFC. Many other Middle Eastern businesses on Warren.

It's convenient when you don't need much and don't feel like dragging yourself through the big chain stores.

If you want REALLY good Middle-Eastern pasteries, try Masri Sweets on Schaffer between Warren & Ford Road. Baked fresh several times a day.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; January-29-13 at 06:24 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast