Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Women in combat a dangerous experiment

1st story headline:
    Women in combat a dangerous experiment
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/25/opinio...bat/index.html

From article:

The greater inclusion of women has allowed our armed forces to tap into an enormous pool of talent and character. And as the casualty figures above indicate, the current posture of the U.S. armed forces is not one in which women are leading cloistered, sheltered lives. They are often exposed to great danger. So, what is it then that President Obama and Panetta are doing?

Under the policy, women may end up being placed in infantry and Special Forces battalions and other front line combat units. To doubt the wisdom of this action does not reflect on the courage or abilities of female service members. But the step crosses a line worthy of greater deliberation and public debate.
    Opinion: The challenge of incorporating women into the infantry

Women In Combat: 5 Key Questions
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...-key-questions

One of the questions from article:

How many combat positions are there in the military?

As in all militaries, U.S. combat troops are a relatively small percentage of the overall force. The U.S. military has 1.4 million men and women on active duty, and women are barred from 237,000 positions, according to the Pentagon. The Pentagon will now be reviewing those positions, and many will be opened up to women...
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-27-13 at 10:28 AM.

The Israeli military are re-thinking having women in combat because of higher incidents of stress fractures , women no doubt mentally have what it takes , but are built smaller , and that equipment gets pretty darned heavy .

For certain core weight bearing ability and upper body strength remains the great un-equalizer.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-28-13 at 07:50 AM.

The point of changing the designation is in order to recognize the FACT that women are already serving in combat and being wounded in battle. See Tammy Duckworth for the highest profile among them.

It's the right thing to do as it is currently impossible for women to hold certain ranks [[even if they may have the same combat experience) because they were not in a "combat unit". Further, they have to jump through all sorts of hoops at the VA to prove service connected issues [[PTSD..TBI...etc) if that issue stemmed from combat and they were not in a combat unit.

I don't think anyone is envisioning an all female infantry... just to align policy with reality.

Might as well recognize what is a fact already.

Lori Piestewa, first Native American woman killed in combat, March 23, 2003. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lori_Piestewa

More than 150 women have been killed and more than 800 wounded in the Iraq and Afghan wars, according to the military.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/01/24/170161752/women-in-combat-five-key-questions

Keep in mind that the U.S. has the oldest personnal on the battlefield in our history ....grandfathers ... mothers ... I'd rather not see a mother assigned in harms way .

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnatic View Post
    Keep in mind that the U.S. has the oldest personnal on the battlefield in our history ....grandfathers ... mothers ... I'd rather not see a mother assigned in harms way .
    I see little difference between a mother and a father assigned in harms way - either way a parent is in harms way.

I'm fine with women serving in combats- they do already.

Quote Originally Posted by leapfrog View Post
    I see little difference between a mother and a father assigned in harms way - either way a parent is in harms way.

I'm fine with women serving in combats- they do already.
    Not all women are created the same. If a woman can pretty much pass the tests that a man can pass and really want the job all the power to them.

A mama bird instinctively will protect her nest at any cost.

The question that surfaces now is ... what about the draft? Should that be equal also?

I think the draft requirement should be equal, yes. There are all kinds of available exemptions once someone is called, including age, health, hardship, felony convictions, If someone feels women should be exempted because of familial status, ie, being pregnant or having children under X age in the home, then that could be examined. Before they reinstate the actual draft, deferrals and exemptions will have to be set.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    I think the draft requirement should be equal, yes.
    I am impressed you folks feel that way.
    Equality means equality. Sometimes it backfires.
    But if women want equality in the Military, they should have to register for the draft just like men do.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnatic View Post
    The Israeli military are re-thinking having women in combat because of higher incidents of stress fractures , women no doubt mentally have what it takes , but are built smaller , and that equipment gets pretty darned heavy .
    I agree completely.