Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Fishing area that has wheelchair access.

Sometime this week I plan to take someone fishing who uses a walker, but will probably use a wheelchair for this fishing trip.
    I'm looking for some place along the river that has a restroom and parking that is pretty close to the fishing dock. Also it will help if the area has mucho fish.

Who's been out fishing lately? What's biting and what are you using to snag them?
    If they're not biting I don't want to hear about it.

Thanks for any help.

Mt. Elliot park is wheelchair accessible [[no restrooms, though).

I see lots of anglers there, however, most of them say they aren't having much luck anywhere on the river.

Belle Ilse, there is an area bounded by the yacht club lagoon on one side and that modern art stainless steel sculpure on the other side. It’s paved, friendly, diverse, and right next to a public rest room. I pass by that area kayaking and always ask the anglers if they are eating chicken of fish for diner, more often than not its fish.
    MAP

I could just see a park with no railings for wheelchair fishing! The guys love it until they go over the edge. Then Sam Bernstein loves it when the city shoulda put up railings anyways.

Bishop Park in Wyandotte meets all of your criteria.

Gabriel Richard Park right next to the MacArthur Bridge [[Belle Isle) has handicap accessibility to the river for fishing and enjoying the river. I'm there almost every weekend. There is an small opening for wheel chairs that someone created. The trail of rocks that make up the roadway may be a lil dangerous if someone is using a walker. The one problem you will encounter is the high concrete curb where you will park. But it is a great location for fishing. Also, it has a state of the art restroom. The restroom is operated electronically and all you have to do is push buttons and you will be serviced by the restroom.
    Last edited by 3420; July-01-09 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something

On a recent trip to Windsor, I noticed a lot of the parks off of the Detroit River down there had a fair amount of folks fishing and I know within their park system over there, there's bathroom facilities nearby as well. And not to mention I've always loved the view of Detroit from over there. We truly look like a nice majestic city from Windsor.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    On a recent trip to Windsor, I noticed a lot of the parks off of the Detroit River down there had a fair amount of folks fishing and I know within their park system over there, there's bathroom facilities nearby as well. And not to mention I've always loved the view of Detroit from over there. We truly look like a nice majestic city from Windsor.
    Two issues with Windsor, I was there a couple of weeks ago and could see the effects of the municipal workers strike, most of the trash cans were covered so you could not use them, and that stupid passport law.