Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Wis. sheriff urges citizens to get gun training

A Wisconsin sheriff says he released an ad calling on residents to defend themselves because the old model of having a citizen call 911 and wait for help isn't always the best option.

In the ad, Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke Jr. tells residents that when it comes to personal safety: "I need you in the game." He urges citizens to learn to use firearms so they can "fight back" until authorities arrive.

http://news.yahoo.com/wis-sheriff-ur...213646100.html

You would never think that of all places Wisconsin the land of milk and cheese would be having the same problems as Detroit.

I guess it kinda shows that now more then ever we all need to step up the game when helping and supporting LEO.

Cool story, bro. Just for future reference, maybe you should stick to creating threads that actually have something to do with Detroit in the "discuss Detroit" section.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    A Wisconsin sheriff says he released an ad calling on residents to defend themselves because the old model of having a citizen call 911 and wait for help isn't always the best option.

In the ad, Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke Jr. tells residents that when it comes to personal safety: "I need you in the game." He urges citizens to learn to use firearms so they can "fight back" until authorities arrive.

http://news.yahoo.com/wis-sheriff-ur...213646100.html

You would never think that of all places Wisconsin the land of milk and cheese would be having the same problems as Detroit.

I guess it kinda shows that now more then ever we all need to step up the game when helping and supporting LEO.
    People buy guns to "help and support" law enforcement officers?

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    People buy guns to "help and support" law enforcement officers?
    Yeah, you know like the vast majority of gun owners who are not low life criminals, crazies and thugs.
    He's not suggesting that civilians start patrolling the streets, but he's being realistic and acknowledging that the police won't always be there in time to protect us. [[Anyone that's had to dial 911 in Detroit knows this all to well).

Quote Originally Posted by Armin View Post
    Cool story, bro. Just for future reference, maybe you should stick to creating threads that actually have something to do with Detroit in the "discuss Detroit" section.

Perhaps you should wait until you've been on Dyes for more than a month to start criticizing where people post?

It's pretty easy to accidentally cross post between the Detroit and Non-Detroit threads, maybe on your 9th post you'll mess up and do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Yeah, you know like the vast majority of gun owners who are not low life criminals, crazies and thugs.
    He's not suggesting that civilians start patrolling the streets, but he's being realistic and acknowledging that the police won't always be there in time to protect us. [[Anyone that's had to dial 911 in Detroit knows this all to well).
    I own plenty of guns, none of which were purchased to "help and support" law enforcement. They were for me and my family exclusively.

Maybe I'm the anomaly, John Wayne.

Of course, won't law enforcement be on the side of the tyrannical government everyone is so afraid of?

ROTFL! Indeed! ------

Perhaps you should wait until you've been on Dyes for more than a month to start criticizing where people post?

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    I own plenty of guns, none of which were purchased to "help and support" law enforcement. They were for me and my family exclusively.

Maybe I'm the anomaly, John Wayne.

Of course, won't law enforcement be on the side of the tyrannical government everyone is so afraid of?

Noise, my apologies. I misinterpreted your original post and I thought you were going for the "All guns are bad" angle.

I guess I can't speak for the OP, but I think he was implying that self defense in itself is "helping and supporting" law enforcement.

Noise, my apologies. I misinterpreted your original post and I thought you were going for the "All guns are bad" angle.

I guess I can't speak for the OP, but I think he was implying that self defense in itself is "helping and supporting" law enforcement.
    It in a round about way does pertain to Detroit because there are lots saying the level of crime and the inability of LEO to respond is one of the deciding factors in leaving the city but more so the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.

Not saying that the city has more then its share above and beyond what other cities have just that it is out there.

Being in Fl Yea the stand your ground has it pros and cons but if you are a female in a parking garage and a thug comes and tries to rape you,two choices call 911 or shoot ,the whole stand your ground thing came about from the prosecution aspect if in the above example she would have a clear case her life was in danger, no need to prosecute.

It came about with a 83 YO man hiding in the closet with a shotgun who told the perps do not open the door ,well they did and met the shotgun.

It took him 2 years and $50,000 to clear his name which is insane ,and no person man or woman should have to cower in a closet because of a thug . Hense stand your ground.

As far as helping LEO well I guess if budgets are tight and they cannot insure your families safety we do what we must but that is the way it always has been.But it helps the LEO on the maybe one less thug aspect but it does have a somewhat of a mental affect when you are forced to make that decision one way or another so I am not sure one way or another.

You hear reports of thugs being shot quite often but I am not sure if that has reduced the amount of thugs or their numbers have increased to the point to of a overwhelming aspect.

But to me the downside of mass ownership is those who are not responsible gun owners and their kids get a hold of the weapon.

At age 9 I took my son to the range and showed him what happens when you pull the trigger ,I was in the doghouse for 6 month's, but even now that he is thirty and does not own a gun he has done the same with my granddaughters,so many try and hide the weapons from children instead of showing them what they are and what they can do.

So is mass arming wise ? I guess I am on the fence with that and those who covet Darwin.

Obama, Franken Feinstein, and the anti 2nd amendment crowd just DONT GET IT.

Name:  obama guns.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  67.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Papasito View Post
    Obama, Franken Feinstein, and the anti 2nd amendment crowd just DONT GET IT.

Name:  obama guns.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  67.0 KB
    Obama gets it more than you might think http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2561677.html

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Obama gets it more than you might think http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2561677.html
    Ah, now that President Obama has a new interest in shooting, maybe all the conspiracy nuts will stop worrying about why federal domestic agencies including the weather service are purchasing 1.6B rounds including a lot of hollow point and the DHS announce yesterday that it was buying 7,000 fully automatic rifles. The Obama administration even poured $200M into a world class gun show and practice range. How cool is that? Some skeet shot and gun range photos of the President enjoying his new hobby using up some of those hollow point practice bullets would go along way toward ameliorating all the unfounded anxieties rednecks are experiencing. Gun nuts are just jealous that the President gets to have a rack full of drones to play with. If I was the President's perpetual campaign manager, I'd include a brief shot of him lip syncing Country Boy Can Survive for more reassurance.

http://aboutcampdavid.blogspot.com/2...amp-david.html
    The photo of the President here with his AR gun clip apparently wasn't enough. Need more photos. No photo cropped photos please.
    Last edited by oladub; January-29-13 at 06:43 PM.

Taking photo ops to pursuade gun owners during an election is one thing, but standing up for their rights is another.

Currently in the United States there are approximately 200 million privately owned guns. Include the military and police, and there is roughly 1 gun per citizen.
    The rate of gun related murders is a little more than 3 per 100,000. Do that math. It's a very very small percentage of incidents versus guns available versus population.
    Historically speaking, gun related homicides are at a low point in recent years as compared to the past.

The highest rates of gun related killings were in the late 1800's [[in the US).

Does anyone know the weapon used in the largest school killing in US history? It was dynamite. Not guns.
    http://www.cadl.org/books-movies/ots...-massacre.html

You never let a serious crisis go to waste. And what I mean by that it's an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before.
    Rahm Emanuel
    This big anti 2nd amendment push is the anti 2nd amendment crowd using the tragedy at Sandy Hook to make their move. They are using the families of the victims and the children who survived, and the names of those who fell, as pawns to push a political agenda.

They are crying out for them, they are having them say what they want them to say, to push these measures.

And after the politicians get what they want, they will forget all about them and toss them to the side, all used up.

Just like they did to Cindy Sheehan, Just like Joe the Plumber, Just like the Tillman family, like Sandra Flake....Just like so many other Political Pawns who have been exploited for political points and political gains and then tossed to the curb.

What do we get when we are done with this big gun hubub?

A dissected and watered down 2nd Amendment, and the Government will be looking at the next right they can dilute, restrict, or take away from the people of the United States of America.
    Last edited by Papasito; January-31-13 at 01:41 PM.

And why is it OK for our Government to give guns to Mexican cartel, as well as Syrian and Libyan Islamists, but want to take them away from American Citizens?

Yeah, the hypocrisy is a bit much, but not surprising.

I wonder how many Detroiter's will willingly 'follow' the administration around these new corners of policy relative to gun control?

We should fully know well what we're up against in the city to know what policies are good for ones personal safety, withstanding partisan loyalty?
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-01-13 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Yeah, the hypocrisy is a bit much, but not surprising.

I wonder how many Detroiter's will willingly 'follow' the administration around these new corners of policy relative to gun control?

We should fully know well what we're up against in the city to know what policies are good for ones personal safety, withstanding partisan loyalty?
    DGU stats are pretty minuscule.

Perhaps, but for each and everyone [[friend, family member, or stranger) who survived a home invasion, assault, robbery, rape, and or murder the percentage was personally meaningful.

With regards to post #12, a photo of the President showed up on Drudge showing the President shooting his vented shotgun on one of his skeet shooting interludes. Don't show this to school children or let them know the President does this all the time. Most shooters shoot the clay pigeon when it is up in the air but maybe someone was waving a copy of the Constitution around at ground level. It matters not. What matters is that we now have proof that the President goes skeet shooting, has a cool shotgun that makes lots of smoke like a Colonial era flintlock, and has proven the doubters wrong once again. Gotta get the Pres together with the former VP for some bi-partisan team building shotgun activity.
    Last edited by oladub; February-02-13 at 02:33 PM.

Hah. I thought the angle was off too when I saw the photo......!

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Most shooters shoot the clay pigeon when it is up in the air but maybe someone was waving a copy of the Constitution around at ground level.