Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Cold temps = slow drivers?

With the recent cold snap, I've run across a lot of slow drivers. Do they think the car can't handle it? Cars are tested way up north in much colder conditions, after all.

As an example, I encountered a car going 50 in a 70 zone [[in the left lane no less)on the northbound Lodge. A lot of people driving 10-15 mph under the limit or more. I'm not asking people to speed, but if they roads are dry, and they were in all these situations, then please drive the limit and not impede traffic!

Also, why do people not turn right on red when there is no sign prohibiting it and there is no traffic? Michigan plated cars too!

Yeah, I've noticed a lot of this too. I can understand when temps are around freezing and there's the potential for ice formation, but it's 10 degrees outside! At the very least get out of the left lane!

I would not worry about it. Leave earlier. The reality is that there are a lot of people out there driving older cars. The older the car the more likely it has bald tires. There was a minimal amount of snow last night on the West Side. Another reality is that the roads are wet and prone to have icy patches that was particularly true on my drive today. Be lucky you have a car and are not waiting at a corner for a bus in this sub zero weather.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I would not worry about it. Leave earlier. The reality is that there are a lot of people out there driving older cars. The older the car the more likely it has bald tires. There was a minimal amount of snow last night on the West Side. Another reality is that the roads are wet and prone to have icy patches that was particularly true on my drive today. Be lucky you have a car and are not waiting at a corner for a bus in this sub zero weather.
    While DP is right the bigger problem is 95% of the drivers out there should not be behind the wheel of a wagon let alone a car. I scratch my head every day wondering why all these idiots were issued drivers licenses! All you can do is pray they stay home during rush hour!

Don't forget, weed is now legal in Detroit.

...The reality is that there are a lot of people out there driving older cars. The older the car the more likely it has bald tires...
    All the more reason that they should be staying to the right... some of us were taught "slower traffic keep to the right" [[decades ago), I guess it's not taught anymore.

Hah. I hear that! I drive an older car but never let my tires get bald. I am seeing some of those fancy high-profile newer cars with sitting on 16-18-teens with bald tires cause those tires tend to be in the 300-400 range [[each) - bingo! In this economy who can afford that so, some let those go very bald before addressing them...

Driving slow. I've noticed. Why? A decently maintained car will preform in ten degree as well as 90 degree so long as the ground is dry and car is warmed up. I just go around the slowskies. I want to get to my destination and out the cold weather.

Last edited by Zacha341; January-25-13 at 02:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by detlump View Post

As an example, I encountered a car going 50 in a 70 zone [[in the left lane no less)on the northbound Lodge. A lot of people driving 10-15 mph under the limit or more. I'm not asking people to speed, but if they roads are dry, and they were in all these situations, then please drive the limit and not impede traffic!
    The Lodge's speed limit is 55. Not for trucks, for everyone. There also happen to be a couple of pesky left lane exits on the Lodge in both directions.

Not that I doubt you detlump, but how did you determine these drivers were driving 50 mph. Do you estimate based on the speed of surrounding traffic? Do you pace them by slowing down to their speed? How often do you do it and why?

Inquiring minds ...

55 MPH! Say it ain't so G.

Yikes! You're right! I guess folks been doing 65+ plus so long it's been forgotten!

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    The Lodge's speed limit is 55. Not for trucks, for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by detlump View Post
    Also, why do people not turn right on red when there is no sign prohibiting it and there is no traffic? Michigan plated cars too!
    No law that says you have to. You're allowed to, but not required to.

Slowing down isn't a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post

Yikes! You're right! I guess folks been doing 65+ plus so long it's been forgotten!
    Meh, traffic flows at 70 MPH for the most part on Detroit's freeways. Keep in mind those speed limits were implemented back when it wasn't very safe to drive automobile at higher speeds.

And also, while we were taught to obey the speed limits, I think it's a good idea for safety reasons to keep up with the flow of traffic. If everyone around you is driving 70+ MPH, don't use the asshole crusing in the left lane at 55 MPH.
    Last edited by 313WX; January-25-13 at 08:26 AM.

Here is another fact to ponder, of the newer cars out on the road, many are hybrids that perform much worse in winter driving conditions. In order to keep gas mileage up many drivers may be driving in a way where they operate more on battery power than on gas. Combine this with all of the old cars with bald tires, and people that just should not be driving anyway and traffic will slow down.

I am usually driving about 60-65 and I am never in the left lane. I do it to keep my RPMs down and my MPG up!

313, that is bull. The lodge was built in the 1950's and vehicles were built to go 70 mph. The reason for the low speed limit is because of the physical layout of the roadway. The Lodge has narrow shoulders and really high walls in several areas. Plus it has a few turns that are legendary for being dangerous.

i agree riding with the flow of traffic is important, but only if it is done safely and with ample distance between you and the vehicle ahead of you.

If you climb my tail I will not speed up to accommodate your demand to drive two tons of steel like it will keep you alive in a crash. It won't. Your need to die early matters little to me, as I have plans to exit this life at age 86, shot by a jealous husband.

Driving the Lodge can be maddening in you are not accustomed to it. The "slower traffic keep right" guidelines don't work there too much because of the left lane ramps to connecting roadways. It's a bit of a winding road with limited visibility at times as well, and a few spots that in the morning will at times suddenly face you into a rising blinding sunlight.

What I find crazy on the Lodge is the number of cars in the middle lanes, going 50-60 with their left turn signal always on. Then the folks in the left lane often slow up to accommodate their lane change, but they usually have no real intention of coming over to the left lane. Just about every day, I see one or two northbound drivers like that in the middle lanes.

Perhaps the obvious escapes me...

ICE formation still occurs even when there is no falling precipitation...

Bursting pipes...run off for car washes... condensation that refreezes...left over ice from the last snow/ice event...

people rightly should drive slower... there is an increased chance of danger just from Ice alone

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Don't forget, weed is now legal in Detroit.
    Good one! Reminds me of Cheech & Chong.
    Cheech: Hows my driving
    Chong: I think were parked man

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post

65+, more like 85 or better. If you're running 85 in the speed lane, you're going too slow !!

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    65+, more like 85 or better. If you're running 85 in the speed lane, you're going too slow !!
    In parts of Southfield, the speed limit is 70 on the Lodge, I believe.
    Last edited by rooms222; January-25-13 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rooms222 View Post
    In parts of Southfield, the speed limit is 70 on the Lodge, I believe.
    Doesn't it change to Northwestern at 8 Mile? Isn't it only called the Lodge in the city limits? Or did they change that?

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Doesn't it change to Northwestern at 8 Mile? Isn't it only called the Lodge in the city limits? Or did they change that?
    I'm pretty sure it's the Lodge up to 696 and then turns to Northwestern Highway when the freeway part ends

Yep, then you have street lights starting with a bit after Telegraph, Franklin Rd. Etc. yet some people still try to speed demon it...

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's the Lodge up to 696 and then turns to Northwestern Highway when the freeway part ends
    You're both right right. The Service Drive north of 8 Mile becomes Northwestern Highway. But the Freeway itself is still the Lodge.

From Wyoming or Livernois to 8 Mile, the Service Drive is James Counzens.

That is why one officer with a laser speed detection device, talking with a dedicated team of twelve cars assigned to write the tickets, should sit on the Webb bridge and just make money rain into the city coffers. The outbound Lodge is the wild-west of driving, especially during early rush hour.

The city would be out of money trouble within a quarter, easily.

What's the hurry anyway?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast