Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Lafayette Towers today

With the new owners at Lafayette Towers I have decided to go for a "viewing" this Saturday. Are any members of the forun currently living there, have lived there or have friends who mght offer experiences and viewpoints about what the day to day situation is? Handicapped parking is a must for me, the pool is not important. I'm a basic tenant with a cat--no muss no fuss. Probably would investigate a two year lease as that would lead up to retirement.

Hey detroitbob,

I moved into Lafayette Towers in the middle of November last year and other than a pipe bursting on the 22nd floor and it leaking down to my closet, there have been no issues. There is handicapped parking very close to the doors of both towers. There is a great mix of residents and my experience has been pleasant.

I'm moving there this spring. We'll be neighbors! I've investigated the area extensively and love everything it has to offer.

Can't wait to get down there!!

I never really noticed those before. Right by the Dequindre cut. Very nice.

Would anyone care to share a ballpark of what it costs to live there?

I've read that the new owners have retained the old management, and I've also read that the old management was bad, so I'm curious too.

48901: 500s for a studio, 700s for a one bedroom, 900 for a two bedroom, and 1400 for a three bedroom. http://www.lafayette-towers.com/

But the Pavilion, the other Mies van der Rohe tower to the west, which has good management, has rents hundreds of dollars more [[one bedrooms are 880-1200 per month), even though it doesn't have a parking garage. http://www.thepaviliondetroit.com/
    Last edited by Jason; January-24-13 at 11:01 PM.

I lived in both the Towers and the Pavilion around 10 years ago, and I preferred the Pavilion over the Towers even then. Its a great neighborhood, but if you want Mies living that is actually managed well I would recommend also looking at the Pavilion as a comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    48901: 500s for a studio, 700s for a one bedroom, 900 for a two bedroom, and 1400 for a three bedroom. http://www.lafayette-towers.com/
    I thought that downtown was "booming", and there was "no inventory" and "massive demand". I can pay $700 to live in a modern doorman highrise right downtown, in a building designed by a world famous architect?

That's generally less than you pay for a crappy 50's-60's style garden apartments in a middle class Detroit suburb.

Hopefully the new owners will keep the place up. They aren't going to invest if they aren't seeing a return, though. We'll see.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I thought that downtown was "booming", and there was "no inventory" and "massive demand". I can pay $700 to live in a modern doorman highrise right downtown, in a building designed by a world famous architect?

That's generally less than you pay for a crappy 50's-60's style garden apartments in a middle class Detroit suburb.

Hopefully the new owners will keep the place up. They aren't going to invest if they aren't seeing a return, though. We'll see.
    One bedroom apartment in Sterling Heights with 800 square feet and heat and water included is 585. I have no idea where you think one bedroom apartments in the suburbs are going for more than 700.

I feel that Lafayette Towers has the potential to be a great place to live. It had been neglected for so many years. I was hoping that Habitat would repurchase the building when it was rumoured that the company had showed interest in it. I hope the the new owner bring the towers to the quality that they once were. My concern is that he did not immediately implanted a door person but will probably wait until the towers are completely renovated to do so. A doorperson should be hired now to ensure the safety of the buildings from unwanted guests and predators. Habitat or someone such as Dan Gilbert have a corporation or backers supporting them so they would had been able to immediately start on 3 or 4 projects at once in the towers. This owner does not have the backing and only taking on one project at a time. I hope that others potential developers were not shut out in order the this one to buy it with under the counter paid to play money giving to council or the mayor. I hope that this owner will bring the buildings up to par. The only thing I could say is to give the new owner a chance and see what will be done during the next year

I visited the leasing office about 02:45p Saturday and found the gate/security employees to be efficient and friendly.Had a chance to talk to a couple of tenants where were coming/going or smoking on the portico and all had positives. The did not have any models that were available for "viewing"so I will try that next Saturday.May also check the Pavillion. A bi off topic, but when looked at a couple 1300 E Lafayatte units I thought the purchase price vs the monthly to be askew. 1200.00 per month for a i bedroom that needed updates was imho absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    I visited the leasing office about 02:45p Saturday and found the gate/security employees to be efficient and friendly.Had a chance to talk to a couple of tenants where were coming/going or smoking on the portico and all had positives. The did not have any models that were available for "viewing"so I will try that next Saturday.May also check the Pavillion. A bi off topic, but when looked at a couple 1300 E Lafayatte units I thought the purchase price vs the monthly to be askew. 1200.00 per month for a i bedroom that needed updates was imho absurd.
    Question about the $1200/month--was that the HOA fee, or the HOA fee + estimated mortgage payment?

That was just the HOA fee. Totally out of sync with real world.

Co-op HOA fee has nothing to do with the condition of the unit. It is based on the size of the unit. If you want a unit with nice features, either buy one, or do your own upgrades. HOA fee,will be the same.

getting back to Lafayette Towers, Detroitbob, contact the leasing office. They will be happy to show you various units available.

Hey Bob,, I am a little confused on that one,, there isnt a 1 bedroom here with a monthly fee of 1200,, unless your including the special assessment for the new elevators for the rest of year ?,, One bedrooms are about 900, a portion which is tax deductible for property taxes and building insurance,,[[ genrally about 100 month refund) and ofcourse you have the buy the equity,, A 2 bedroom 2 bath at 1300 runs you around 1200 with parking,, and your equity purchase.

That was just the HOA fee. Totally out of sync with real world.
    I agree, but I'm a bit surprised because that is a lot higher than what I typically see listed for 1-bedroom units at 1300--usually the fees I see are somewhere in the neighborhood of $1-$1.15/month per sq ft.

For instance, you can see some listings here:

http://www.vasileffrealtydetroit.com...OOPERATIVE.htm

and the highest monthly fee I can see listed for a 1 bedroom is $866.

Well, I finally made it down to check out the Pavillion and overall I like this building better than Lafayette Towers. the Pavillion has been far better maintained and it shows. Anyone on the forum live in the Pavillion and care to share any experiences?

I hope that the new owner is able to bring the Towers back to its former glory. I moved from the Towers 2 yrs ago due to their current management staff. They were horrible and inefficient to say the least. Sounds like they've fixed a lot of the problems like the lack of heat, electrical problems, broken elevators, etc.... The last straw for me was when management loudly argued with me about a mistake that she'd made.

Quote Originally Posted by Nee View Post
    I hope that the new owner is able to bring the Towers back to its former glory. I moved from the Towers 2 yrs ago due to their current management staff. They were horrible and inefficient to say the least. Sounds like they've fixed a lot of the problems like the lack of heat, electrical problems, broken elevators, etc.... The last straw for me was when management loudly argued with me about a mistake that she'd made.
    Carmen Stieger was the last good manager than Lafayette Towers had. Northern Group had taken over ownership and Carmen, George Basta, and Delvin had left. I wish the new owner well. He need to hire a door person now instead of waiting until the buildings are completely renovated to do so. He should take his cue from Dan Gilber. Dan Gilbert start renovating on a purchased building immediately. He take on mutiple task; not just one task at a time. It is true that the Pavilion provides much better living for now. Lafayette Towers would give the Pavilion as run for it's money if Gregory Jackson is true to his word

The Towers did have doormen on duty when I went down there in early Feb. Lobbies and apartment floors were clean, no strange smells, etc, so it appears they are workng on improving things. The Pavillion public areas were immaculate and I could tell a difference in window maintenence...no leaking air. the three models I viewed were warm without heat running full blast.

The Towers did have doormen on duty when I went down there in early Feb. Lobbies and apartment floors were clean, no strange smells, etc, so it appears they are workng on improving things. The Pavillion public areas were immaculate and I could tell a difference in window maintenence...no leaking air. the three models I viewed were warm without heat running full blast.
    That doorman was just a security guard made to wear a blazer. I don't think that the guard with the blazer is the doorman that Jackson was promising. Those guards are hardly at their post for they had went to the rest room or have to relieve the guard sitting inside the booth. Jackson still has not hired the extra guards needed or that so called door man. I had also noticed work being done in the empty storefront next to the thai food place. Does anyone has a clue what will be placed thair?

Anyone considering living in Lafayette Park, or even just interested in the community, should read this book that was published last fall; a resident's eye view of Lafayette Park, including all of the high-rises.

http://www.artbook.com/9781935202929.html

http://placementpublication.org/inde...k-detroit-usa/

[as a disclaimer, I do have an extended chapter therein; but it is cool book, if I do say so]

It's available on Amazon, of course.
    Last edited by marshamusic; March-05-13 at 09:23 AM.

The Towers were never designed to be high-end - their developer was killed before they were even started, and the project got completed cheaply and essentially on auto-pilot under Habitat, which owned and ran until the mid-2000s. It was never able to support the rents required to keep it up, and the west tower took on some Section 8 people to stay afloat. Habitat eventually unloaded it to the Northern Group, which finished running it into the ground and lost it in a foreclosure.

When HUD tells you you have to invest $7.5 million per tower for upgrades to get to code, you know that a lot of work was deferred. And although there is a 2-year protection period for existing low-income tenants, you know that rents are going to go up a lot [[or the building is going to crash again).

The Pavilion has always been more high-end, in no small part because it was designed as a residence for Wayne State medical students [[Shapiro Hall was the medical school in the 1950s, and Detroit General/Receiving is where they are now building the new jail). Habitat still owns the Pavilion.

Coops have a certain sticker shock, but a good portion of the association fees [[often as much as 50%) is deductible on a pass-through basis because it is pass-through interest on a master mortgage [[how capital projects are financed) or property taxes. That makes them a very good deal for high tax bracket people because after taxes you might be paying $300-400 less a month than the face value of the mortgage plus fee.

HB

Well, I finally made it down to check out the Pavillion and overall I like this building better than Lafayette Towers. the Pavillion has been far better maintained and it shows. Anyone on the forum live in the Pavillion and care to share any experiences?
    I don't live there, but checked it out when I was looking at places last year and it seemed nice. It was probably one of my favorite buildings overall, the only thing that really kept me away was the location [[there's not much around there, and I wanted to be downtown). Would be a little better if you have a family or work outside the city, and don't mind driving in when you want to go.

I'm leaning toward the Pavillion but want to take another walk thru thh Towers...any current resident of the towers who would like to share info, please private message me or post on the site if comfortable.

I'm leaning toward the Pavillion but want to take another walk thru thh Towers...any current resident of the towers who would like to share info, please private message me or post on the site if comfortable.
    I lived at the Pavilion from 2005-2009. Great place, no major complaints. Moved from the burbs and it was a fun place to live in the city. Eventually it was time for me to buy a house. It was the perfect place for me at that stage of my life [[mid 20s).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast