Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Amazing Large Warehouse Fire Photos

With the exception of the "big one" this was one of the largest fires in Chicago history Such manpower hasn't been required in decades.

http://blogs.wsj.com/photojournal/20...-ice/?mod=e2fb

Sadly, a beautiful old vacant warehouse fell victim. With population growth in this particular southside community, it could have been lofts had it hung around a few more years.

Before View
    http://goo.gl/maps/hvhuJ

Neighboring buildings sustained minor damage, but repairs began today and employees were able to work. Owners of the destroyed structure are working with the city and will begin demo before the weekend. I cringe at the thought of non-descript warehouse replacing it.
    Last edited by wolverine; January-23-13 at 10:20 PM.

Late news Thursday morning said the place is still burning, and they're sending in wrecking crews and equipment to take it down.

I don't know which is worse for firefighters: battling sub zero cold, or coping with blazing July heat while wearing all that gear. Be well, all you smokies.

That doesn't look like a particularly huge fire.

Vacant buildings on fire should be contained so the fire doesn't spread, but that is about it. Not worth risking the health of the fire fighters regardless of its architectural or historical relevence

What a scene.
    I got a kick out of one of the people posting on that site
    "As if living in Chicago isn’t punishment enough! Murder capital, corrpution capital, and one-third of the year has unlivable cold. Keep safe, firefighters!"

Maybe its not so bad here after all

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    What a scene.
    I got a kick out of one of the people posting on that site
    "As if living in Chicago isn’t punishment enough! Murder capital, corrpution capital, and one-third of the year has unlivable cold. Keep safe, firefighters!"

Maybe its not so bad here after all
    It's the same suburbanite wining. "Blah blah corrupt, blah blah expensive parking, blah blah Gangs. The city isn't for everyone.

Anyway, to pour salt on the wound it looks like an ugly mall development with a grocery, home improvement store, retail and restaurants is proposed for that site. But it can't move ahead because of zoning. I'd rather see those buildings converted to residential and preserved. Big box can go elsewhere. I'm not opposed to more retail but developers should be held to the same standard like elsewhere in the city where those warehouses are retrofitted to support big box stores.
    Last edited by wolverine; January-24-13 at 07:28 PM.