Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default "..I'm thin, for like, Detroit" - Lena Dunham

Lena Dunham, creator and star of HBO hit "Girls," as well as recent Golden Globes winner, has some opinions about Detroiters that are likely to be unpopular in the Motor City.

"I'm not super thin, but I'm thin, for like, Detroit," she told radio host Howard Stern Wednesday after he apologized for calling her "a little fat girl who kind of looks like Jonah Hill."

"I'm not that fat, Howard," Dunham told the host.
    Quite a bit of outrage over that statement, but after going to the auto show over the weekend, I can't see her as being wrong. Holy cow.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Quite a bit of outrage over that statement, but after going to the auto show over the weekend, I can't see her as being wrong. Holy cow.
    Yep. Was coming into this thread to be like "c'mon now with the outrage, people here are pretty fat."

Michiganders tend to be fat.

Metro Detroiters a bit less so, but this isn't exactly the health center of the nation. Really only the snobbyvilles have a high proportion of skinny women.

Naw bitch, your pale doughy snaggle tooth ass ain't thin for anyplace on THIS Earth. Sorry.

From what little I know about her/her writing team/her lillywhite TV show set in NYC I don't really like her.

Stop opening your crooked mouth to say dumb shit.
    Stop taking your clothes off making gross uncomfortable awkward sex scenes.
    Stop making making whitewashed tv shows, HBO has been sucking mad DICK lately.

We do. But the holly-weird 'gods' and 'goddesses' have their own problems, within their 'prized' thin status. I don't even watch that kind of crap to even consider their views!

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Michiganders tend to be fat.

Metro Detroiters a bit less so, but this isn't exactly the health center of the nation. Really only the snobbyvilles have a high proportion of skinny women.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    Naw bitch, your pale doughy snaggle tooth ass ain't thin for anyplace on THIS Earth. Sorry.

From what little I know about her/her writing team/her lillywhite TV show set in NYC I don't really like her.

Detroiters are classy though.

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    Detroiters are classy though.
    Hey thats not fair, for once he didnt say FUCK in a post.

+1 on that.... that show...wow.

+1 on that.... that show...wow.
    I'm all for gratuitous unneeded nudity and tittilation. I make no apologies.

But that was just unpleasant. It was the first and last thing I saw of that show.

What gets me is how men with such pathetic physiques as Stern or Limbaugh [[Limblubber?) can get away with judging the bodies of other people. People who live in glass houses.....

Quote Originally Posted by Pickford-Bentler View Post
    What gets me is how men with such pathetic physiques as Stern or Limbaugh [[Limblubber?) can get away with judging the bodies of other people. People who live in glass houses.....
    Well, to be fair, they get away with it because attractive women keep dating and marrying them.
    Last edited by bailey; January-22-13 at 01:24 PM.

So much racism in this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Zozo View Post
    So it shouldn't be too much trouble to point some of this "racism" out.

Not knowing who this Lena is I had to google. I agree, she needs to keep her clothes on.

I'm surprised that so many here are attacking someone who did the orgasmic Obama ad. Where are your loyalties? An Attack on lena Dunham is an attack on the President. So what if she's a lofty liberal who scorns Detroit.

Lena Dunham's "The First Time"

Libertarian Girl's parody response

Quote Originally Posted by Zozo View Post
    A.) I don't see "racism" in the post.
    B.) After "Googling" to find out WTF she was, I agree she should keep her clothes on.
    C.) The photo I saw of her eating a birthday cake while sitting on a commode is very disturbing to me.

If I walked around like that, I'd be arrested. If she does it on national TV in front of millions of people, she's a star.

According to Men's Fitness magazine, Detroit is the 2nd fattest city in America [[only Houston is worse):

http://www.mensfitness.com/training/...ies-in-america

1 in 3 Detroiters are obese. Not overweight, mind you, but OBESE.

Good for her. Who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    According to Men's Fitness magazine, Detroit is the 2nd fattest city in America [[only Houston is worse):
    LOL. I was thinking to myself, "Detroit doesn't seem worse than back home." Welp, that explains it.

First of all, I hate what the media/Hollywood does to women. I love a woman with curves.

However people take waaay too much liberty with the word "curves." Curves does not mean multiple chins.

This is obviously a national problem, but in Detroit it is magnified. If anything I think it is worse for men because without the media bias they can get away with it easier.

I work with a ton of obese people, no pun intended. They get sick all the time. They have all kinds of health problems. Oh you have bad knees? It's because they're supporting 300 pounds. People bitch about insurance costs, but when over half the population is a walking time bomb, we all have to pay for it.

The issue around here is people don't really seem to give a shit. We're also so car dependent and don't really have the infrastructure to stay fit - trails, nature, the like. However "diet and exercise" aren't rocket science, either.

I have to stay because of the military, but it also a lifestyle. People around here need to wake up. We spend way too much time trying to convince people that all things and people are perfect around here and not enough time trying to fix our problems - or ourselves.

I don't watch TV, much less keep up with it, and I had no idea who this person was. So I google imaged her. And you know what? She's not wrong. Go to any given Metro area Target and tell me she's wrong.
    Last edited by poobert; January-22-13 at 02:33 PM.

Well, to be fair, they get away with it because attractive women keep dating and marrying them.
    I guess if a man has enough money and very little self-motivation, then being a John able to afford a pretty gold digger is satisfactory. However, while the trophy is at the gym, they get the pick of the good woodmen. To each their own. All this still does not let them get away with the obvious fact to anyone who has eyes. Doughboy Stern and Limpblubber cutting on any persons looks is a clear case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    First of all, I hate what the media/Hollywood does to women. I love a woman with curves.

However people take waaay too much liberty with the word "curves." Curves does not mean multiple chins.

This is obviously a national problem, but in Detroit it is magnified. If anything I think it is worse for men because without the media bias they can get away with it easier.

I work with a ton of obese people, no pun intended. They get sick all the time. They have all kinds of health problems. Oh you have bad knees? It's because they're supporting 300 pounds. People bitch about insurance costs, but when over half the population is a walking time bomb, we all have to pay for it.

The issue around here is people don't really seem to give a shit. We're also so car dependent and don't really have the infrastructure to stay fit - trails, nature, the like. However "diet and exercise" aren't rocket science, either.

I have to stay because of the military, but it also a lifestyle. People around here need to wake up. We spend way too much time trying to convince people that all things and people are perfect around here and not enough time trying to fix our problems - or ourselves.

I don't watch TV, much less keep up with it, and I had no idea who this person was. So I google imaged her. And you know what? She's not wrong. Go to any given Metro area Target and tell me she's wrong.
    What is sad is that Metro Detroit has some of the biggest gyms I have ever been in. A lot better than the band box I use in MD. There was one in Novi, when I visited, that had four lanes for indoor sled pushing that were 40 meters in length. When I lived in Detroit back in the early 1980s, I cross-country skied on the Rogell Golf course during January and February. There is no excuse whatsoever to not get off one's ass in the Winter Water Wonderland.

[QUOTE=Pickford-Bentler;363385. Doughboy Stern and Limpblubber cutting on any persons looks is a clear case of the pot calling the kettle black.[/QUOTE]
    hey thats racist

Once she gets past her teenage years, there is nothing quite so sexy and attractive to a woman as a six or seven figure income.

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    hey thats racist
    True that. Whenever I see two black pots for every white kettle in my cupboard, I immediately build another cupboard for the kettles.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast