Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Murder in Woodbridge

This happened one block away. I called WSU when I heard the shots. Unbelievable.

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/...ge-neigborhood

serpico Guest

Well... the peeps in Woodbridge need more than "The Club" on their steering wheels parked out in front.... I'll say it again... Detroit is dead,... but if you insist on staying, living, working or visiting, at least get your CPL [[concealed pistol license).....

Quote Originally Posted by serpico View Post
    Well... the peeps in Woodbridge need more than "The Club" on their steering wheels parked out in front.... I'll say it again... Detroit is dead,... but if you insist on staying, living, working or visiting, at least get your CPL [[concealed pistol license).....
    My brother who has lived in Rosedale Park for over 30 years told me yesterday that he recently applied for a CPL.

As soon as I heard, the news I thought of this Forum. I don't know how many Detroit Yes regulars still live in Woodbridge, but there used to be quite a few. I hope they're all safe!

Quote Originally Posted by serpico View Post
    If that's the case - and I'm asking genuinely - why do you bother posting on a board named DetroitYes? If Detroit truly is dead, and the only people posting here are those that want to live in the city and make it better, and all you do is post negative, discouraging posts...wouldn't that essentially make you a troll? What's your constructive interest in a 'dead' city?

I'm looking for a legitimate MO for you, and I can't find one for the life of me.
    Last edited by Dexlin; January-22-13 at 06:52 AM.

I was thinking that too. I lived on Commonwealth for a short time a couple of decades ago, grew up not too far from WB and I went to Murray-Wright High School so the area is familiar to me at a deep long-term level. I loved my apartment when I was there. Hopefully more information will come out on this story....

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferL View Post
    As soon as I heard, the news I thought of this Forum. I don't know how many Detroit Yes regulars still live in Woodbridge, but there used to be quite a few. I hope they're all safe!
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-22-13 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pcm View Post
    This happened one block away. I called WSU when I heard the shots. Unbelievable.

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/...ge-neigborhood
    We all mobilized quickly. While shocked, I am not scared. I guess it helps that I lived in Chicago for years before moving here this summer.

A good post from a neighbor [[posting from my phone so sorry if it doesnt hyperlink):
    http://intodetroit.com/article/a-sho...nt-feel-unsafe

Thanks for reporting PCM you are an asset to the community.

Channel 4 news reported this morning that the victim was a developer who was investing in the neighborhood to improve it [[or something like that). Said he was robbed first. Here's a link to the story. http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/G...z/-/index.html

just a bummer on so many levels.

I can virtually hear the shattering of thousands of illusions out there. But, it happens, and will happen anywhere, even in Midtown. Response times are one thing, personal defense another.

Quote Originally Posted by townonenorth View Post
    I can virtually hear the shattering of thousands of illusions out there. But, it happens, and will happen anywhere, even in Midtown. Response times are one thing, personal defense another.
    Many of my neighbors have been here far far longer and remember way rougher times, so I doubt they are too freaked out because they never lost that mentality. I'm used to the occasional violent crime in otherwise peaceful neighborhoods [[Wicker Park certainly got its fair share). But yes, it's still a shock. The neighborhood has been responding pretty well though. That's about all you can do.
    Last edited by TexasT; January-22-13 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    Many of my neighbors have been here far far longer and remember way rougher times, so I doubt they are too freaked out because they never lost that mentality. I'm used to the occasional violent crime in otherwise peaceful neighborhoods [[Wicker Park certainly got its fair share). But yes, it's still a shock. The neighborhood has been responding pretty well though.
    It's pretty odd, really. Sounds to me like that it really wasn't that random. Seems sort of curious that they'd pick that one guy to rob and kill.

Quote Originally Posted by townonenorth View Post
    It's pretty odd, really. Sounds to me like that it really wasn't that random. Seems sort of curious that they'd pick that one guy to rob and kill.
    We'll probably never know the details, but surely the police will pull his ATM records.

If he was paying the folks up by Avery and Lysander for work down, it's not unlikely that he had cash and that someone with bad intentions might have seen him take it out. Considering he drove in from Redford [[or wherever), and it happened just steps from his car, someone had to have marked him before he even got into the neighborhood, given that it was probably only a second or two from when he got out of his car.

Quote Originally Posted by tompage View Post
    Channel 4 news reported this morning that the victim was a developer who was investing in the neighborhood to improve it [[or something like that). Said he was robbed first. Here's a link to the story. http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/G...z/-/index.html

so glad that they got the term "assault weapon" included in the story... probably one that the perp picked up at the Gibralter gun show over the weekend... legally of course.....

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    so glad that they got the term "assault weapon" included in the story... probably one that the perp picked up at the Gibralter gun show over the weekend... legally of course.....

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but I find it odd that the media has not included even a vague description of the shooter[[s), but instead chose to include the type of weapon that was used. Unless a gun was left at the scene, there must have been an eye witness to know that an "Assault weapon" was involved.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; January-22-13 at 09:55 AM.

Of course. That being said, it didn't sound like a handgun at all. It was 10+ rounds [[I heard around 12) from what sounded like one weapon [[no duplicity). From all of weapons I've personally shot [[yeah, living up to stereotypes here), it sounded most like an AK-47 but I'm no expert.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but I find it odd that the media has not even included even a vague description of the shooter[[s), but already know what kind of weapon was used.
    I'm not sure anyone saw him/them [[EDIT: actually just watched a news clip, looks like one of us did get a look). We all just heard it. Surprised they didn't include the vehicle [[black or very dark red/cherry SUV).
    Last edited by TexasT; January-22-13 at 10:31 AM.

Rest in Peace, Chris Best. What a terrible thing to happen. It does look like they marked him when he took out the money and followed him, not random at all. It is a good idea to use extra vigilance after banking or ATM transactions apparently. Predators are everywhere.

Moments like these and how they are handled by the Detroit Police are critical to this period in Detroit's rebirth/comeback/death. If this situation gets minimized or downplayed, whether inadvertently [[by stupidity), or intentionally [[think AutoShow), all those new people considering Detroit will think twice.

I'm not sure how they would handle it correctly. Reminding people to be vigilant and not lower their guard for a second will probably be their response. Finding and prosecuting the perpetrator, as we know, is the probability of a coin flip, and that MUST change. Having more than 20 cars cruising 139 sq/miles on any given night is a necessity.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    it sounded most like an AK-47 but I'm no expert.

expert or not, as long as it "sounded" like an AK-47, lets run with that for our story.....

if in fact true, and this guy was gunned down with 10-12 rounds from an AK-47, then he was not a random target, that just doesn't happen.....

First, condolences to the Best family as well as the Woodbridge community. This is tragic.

My gut tells me that there is a lot more about this than we are aware of. This is not an implication of blame on anyone. It's just that this robbery was bizarre.

[[1) Man gets cash from ATM machine
    [[2) Criminals with assault weapons ambush him 5-feet from his car.
    [[3) At least nine shots fired into the house of the person he was trying to visit.

I'm hardly an expert on these types of crimes, but one has to admit that this is an unusual chain of events for whom the primary motive is to steal money. Did they steal his car too? If the primary motive was money, why didn't they take his car?

I'm curious to see what else comes up as we learn more. Still a very sad story, though.

Could be random, could be not. My friend [[WSU Math Prof) was shot in the back three times by some worthless bastard teens steps from his house in Woodbridge two years ago. No ATMs, no big gold rings, no wads of cash, I can tell you. Luckily he lived [[and still lives in Woodbridge). In this city, it's totally random chance. The perps take off and we're left with a "young black male" description and a police force incapable/unwilling to close the case. Everyone knows that, especially the criminals. If you ever want to kill someone, bring them to Detroit. You'll likely get off scott free.

Woodbridge is just too much for me these days. Everything to the north and west is no man's land. Too much crime of opportunity - violent crime of opportunity.

What they need to do is target those high crime areas [[often down to the block or house) like Warren Evans was doing. Oh, wait, instead this administration will just go on TV smelling like mothballs grousing about how we need better parenting. No shit.

expert or not, as long as it "sounded" like an AK-47, lets run with that for our story.....

if in fact true, and this guy was gunned down with 10-12 rounds from an AK-47, then he was not a random target, that just doesn't happen.....
    The AK wouldn't surprise me...there have been several robberies in Detroit with this being the gun of choice.

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/story/205...-armed-robbery

But 10-12 shots? Jesus. What the hell happened?

BS. A kid was killed with an AK-47 just a couple of weeks ago after giving the POS robber his leather jacket.

No need to "run with it."

I heard the shots yesterday from about a 1/2 mile away. I also spent time in the Army and grew up around firearms. The sound of the report sounded like the 7.62 that's used in the AK. There were also 9-11 shots fired, indicating that it was likely something with a higher capacity. Given how cheap AKs and knockoffs are, even if it wasn't an AK per se, "AK" works well for descriptive purposes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast