Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Concept cars Detroit should have built

My top should-haves:

1) Ford Mustang I concept

2)Ford GT90

3) Mercury Messenger

4) Chrylser Chronos

5) Chevy Mako Shark Vette:

There is one concept from Ford & Ghia that looked like a cross between a Gremlin and one of those Beetles with a fake radiator grill up front. If anyone can find a pic of that little monstrosity, I'd love to see it. I think it actually had louvres in the hood

9mile&seneca Guest

Most of the concept cars were not built in this country because by the time the really cool ones were developed, our friend Ralph Nader had persuaded our government to keep us save, subservient, and paying through the nose. See : Mafia, or organized crime syndicate.

I have a more recent one, which is pretty much redeemed by the current Charger, the 1999 Concept Charger:

Quote Originally Posted by 9mile&seneca View Post
    Most of the concept cars were not built in this country because by the time the really cool ones were developed, our friend Ralph Nader had persuaded our government to keep us save, subservient, and paying through the nose. See : Mafia, or organized crime syndicate.
    yeah, who wants to drive in a car that won't blow up on impact, flip over if you don't enter a curve just right or crush your face, ribs and lungs in an accident? where's the fun in that?

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    yeah, who wants to drive in a car that won't blow up on impact, flip over if you don't enter a curve just right or crush your face, ribs and lungs in an accident? where's the fun in that?
    rb336 Nader got all the headlines but actually lost in court[[a fact he goes out of his way to hide)! The Corvair is the only car proven safe in a court of law ever in the US. Nader got what he wanted along with the knee jerk reaction of the govt. What we got was a bunch of stupid laws that cost us lots of money! Also as time has gone on technology has taken body design to safer levels that even Nader could not comprehend.

This one: https://www.google.com/search?q=2002...w=1366&bih=600

Sorry for the long link. It could have made Lincoln relevant again.

2004 Ford Bronco Concept. I would of bought a dozen

Quote Originally Posted by detlump View Post
    I have a more recent one, which is pretty much redeemed by the current Charger, the 1999 Concept Charger:
    Looks too much like the Camaro.

Chrysler should have done more with the Turbine.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    rb336 Nader got all the headlines but actually lost in court[[a fact he goes out of his way to hide)! The Corvair is the only car proven safe in a court of law ever in the US. Nader got what he wanted along with the knee jerk reaction of the govt. What we got was a bunch of stupid laws that cost us lots of money! Also as time has gone on technology has taken body design to safer levels that even Nader could not comprehend.
    This is a fascinating interpretation of the facts.

Dodge Copperhead

Really? what law suit was that? got a citation for it? Nader actually won a nearly half-million settlement against GM [[$2.5 million in today's dollars), Roche, GM's president at the time, was forced to apologize to Nader for their smear/harassment campaign. DeLorean said Nader was right.

just found another one - '62 Ford Cougar

Really? what law suit was that? got a citation for it? Nader actually won a nearly half-million settlement against GM [[$2.5 million in today's dollars), Roche, GM's president at the time, was forced to apologize to Nader for their smear/harassment campaign. DeLorean said Nader was right.
    You need to talk to a gentleman by the name of Lee Sutton who was involved with the actual litigation I would be more than happy to set up a meeting with him and you will get the real facts not the crap reported by the liberal media with an agenda. PM me! Although your eventual silence will help to serve you do not know what you are talking about.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; January-22-13 at 06:00 PM.

OK, I PM'd you. If the guy "was involved with the actual litigation" he will know the case number, year and venue. It may look like this: 25 N.Y.2d 560 [[1970) - which is the case where GM gave Nader $450K. I can look it up from there.

The ONLY sites I've been able to find stating that the Corvair was "proven safe in a court of law" were Corvair fan sites

If the case really happened, there would be some trace of its records on the internet
    Last edited by rb336; January-22-13 at 08:13 PM.

OK, I PM'd you. If the guy "was involved with the actual litigation" he will know the case number, year and venue. I can look it up from there.

The ONLY sites I've been able to find stating that the Corvair was "proven safe in a court of law" were Corvair fan sites
    Just to see how sharp you are. Your hero DeLorean, do you know how much time he got for his drug conviction?

Typical right-wing deflection tactic. you must know you are beaten.

DeLorean was NOT my hero. don't know where you got that info. And he was acquitted, not convicted

Typical right-wing deflection tactic. you must know you are beaten.

DeLorean was NOT my hero. don't know where you got that info. And he was acquitted, not convicted
    Very well done on a trick question! What does right wing have to do with the truth? Actually I am a big fan of DeLorean from his Pontiac days being an owner of a 1968 Pontiac GTO convertible! Not beaten at all but I am wondering why you will not meet with Lee? Not big enough to admit you are beaten in person when you do get the truth?
    Last edited by p69rrh51; January-22-13 at 08:46 PM.

Also with DeLorean the popular misconception is that he was convicted. Interesting you[[rb336) used his name in conjunction with Nader's headline grabbing tactics...
    Last edited by p69rrh51; January-22-13 at 08:49 PM.

I backed mine up, time for you to do the same.

I merely stated recorded facts

THIS is the comically ugly car I was thinking of, the Ford Ghia Flashback 1975
    you will LAUGH

Name:  Ford Flashback.jpg
Views: 1090
Size:  38.2 KB

Name:  ford-flashback.jpg
Views: 986
Size:  34.2 KB

I backed mine up, time for you to do the same.

I merely stated recorded facts
    I do not know what search engine you use but it took me 30 seconds to find this. I am not a Time subscriber but from the dates and state you should be able to go from there. Just love that media bias eve in 1965. More to come!

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...834283,00.html
    Last edited by p69rrh51; January-23-13 at 08:51 PM.

Another article from The New Republic.

A few years later, the forerunner agency to the National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration--whose creation Nader had lobbied for--issued a report on the Corvair. It found that the car was not, in fact, appreciably less safe than a number of other cars on the market, including, ironically, the Volkswagon Beetle, probably the vehicle best-loved by the sort of people who tended to become Nader's Raiders. Nader attacked the NHTSA report, but an independent panel of engineers selected by the National Academy of Sciences subsequently upheld it. The conservative journalist Ralph deToledano later accused Nader of deliberately falsifying his account of the Corvair. Nader sued, the case was settled out of court, and deToledano [[now deceased) reportedly lost his life savings. DeToledano will likely be remembered by history [[if he's remembered at all) for two things. He re-established the principle that it's deeply unwise to mess with Ralph Nader. And, in ghost-writing the memoirs of W. Mark Felt, he managed never to find out that his collaborator was Deep Throat, Bob Woodward's secret Watergate source.

The full article.

http://www.tnr.com/blog/timothy-noah...d-the-corvair#

I do not where you were looking sure was not anywhere on this planet, but I am waiting for that snippy right wing comment!

Even more to come!
    Last edited by p69rrh51; January-23-13 at 09:05 PM.

here is the part you conveniently left out:

The Corvair's safety problem was genuinely intolerable, even if there were other similarly unsafe cars on the road too. There was then, and remains today, nothing that most of us are likely to do in our everyday lives more potentially fatal than getting behind the wheel of an automobile. But it's a lot less dangerous today than it was back then. For that we have Ralph Nader to thank. And that, as best I can remember, was Moynihan's point when I attended his lecture on the subject 35 years ago.

The Time article, rather than stating that the Corvair had been "proven safe" merely proved that it was driver error IN ONE CASE. At least as far as I could read since I don't subscribe to Time.

here is the part you conveniently left out:

The Corvair's safety problem was genuinely intolerable, even if there were other similarly unsafe cars on the road too. There was then, and remains today, nothing that most of us are likely to do in our everyday lives more potentially fatal than getting behind the wheel of an automobile. But it's a lot less dangerous today than it was back then. For that we have Ralph Nader to thank. And that, as best I can remember, was Moynihan's point when I attended his lecture on the subject 35 years ago.

The Time article, rather than stating that the Corvair had been "proven safe" merely proved that it was driver error IN ONE CASE. At least as far as I could read since I don't subscribe to Time.
    Of course just one case hence the more to come! I was just pointing out that with very little effort I found that. Just bewildered where you were looking.

Of course just one case hence the more to come! I was just pointing out that with very little effort I found that. Just bewildered where you were looking.
    I was looking for anything that said the corvair was "proven safe in a court of law" yours didn't - not by a long shot. Where's that court case your buddy was involved in? got the case #, year and venue?

It is instructive that the very issue [[swing axle) alleged in these cases was "fixed" by GM after 1963

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast