Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Roasting Plant Coffee Shop Opening SOON!

I was walking my dog Downtown today and was amazed to actually see the interior and the exterior sign up. Looks WONDERFUL, can't wait til it opens. There's a sign on the door saying "Opening Soon", can't wait to see how the whole "tubing" machine works. I didn't have a chance to take pictures, was walking my dog. www.roastingplant.com

You should go back and take some pics. It`s not like it`s cold out.

Very cool!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1555
Size:  47.2 KB
    Here is a picture I took on Friday. A man working there said they plan on opening this week.

Will be there when opened! We need more "interactive" businesses like this, love the concept. Is this the only shop outside of NY?

Roasting Plant in NYC

http://youtu.be/NUSH016jAHs

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    Roasting Plant in NYC

http://youtu.be/NUSH016jAHs
    Thanks for that. Now I think I understand what the "tubing" machine is.

Gannon's gonna love this! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Thanks for that. Now I think I understand what the "tubing" machine is.

Gannon's gonna love this! LOL!
    Yes and no...it looks fascinating, but robotics usually eliminate one of the best random options of the coffeehouse experience...the people! The baristas and coffeehounds who populate the staff of any local coffeeshop are always the true draw...the coffee really has to be spectacular to trump them.

But this does up the competition level in town again.

Going to have to make a new scorecard to keep track of all the new craft beers, medicinal cannabis strains, and now local coffee roasts! So many things to keep track of...I may need a robot.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Gannon; January-21-13 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Yes and no...it looks fascinating, but robotics usually eliminate one of the best random options of the coffeehouse experience...the people! The baristas and coffeehounds who populate the staff of any local coffeeshop are always the true draw...the coffee really has to be spectacular to trump them.

Going to have to make a new scorecard to keep track of all the new craft beers, medicinal cannabis strains, and now local coffee roasts! So many things to keep track of...I may need a robot.

Cheers!
    The Roasting Plant once had a sign posted on the door that had said "Opening January 24". Now the sign say opening soon. I think that the Roasting Plant will be a positive fixture in Campus Martius. I hope that they keep long hours and not close at 6pm Mon thru Fri. It will encourage more shops and stores to move into the area. Next summer will great time to hang out downtown. I would rather see an influx of cafes than an influx of liquor stores

I was walking my dog as well over the weekend and was quite excited to see the tarp taken down and the signage up.

I drove by this morning and I saw people inside on their laptops, maybe it was a soft opening for employees or special guests? I am kinda excited to see this Willy Wonka like coffee experience. I think it's these types of unique experiences that will draw more people downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by lafayettepark_steve View Post
    I was walking my dog as well over the weekend and was quite excited to see the tarp taken down and the signage up.

I drove by this morning and I saw people inside on their laptops, maybe it was a soft opening for employees or special guests? I am kinda excited to see this Willy Wonka like coffee experience. I think it's these types of unique experiences that will draw more people downtown.
    I agree, I think it's a great idea knowing that most coffee shops has the same ol' coffee house feel, this particular one is "out the box" and we need those type of businesses. We're so stuck on the same standards of things, we have to be bold and exciting. I like it..

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    The Roasting Plant once had a sign posted on the door that had said "Opening January 24". Now the sign say opening soon. I think that the Roasting Plant will be a positive fixture in Campus Martius. I hope that they keep long hours and not close at 6pm Mon thru Fri. It will encourage more shops and stores to move into the area. Next summer will great time to hang out downtown. I would rather see an influx of cafes than an influx of liquor stores
    You beat me to it ! I was thinking the same thing ! I think this is a great new sign for the city with a "healthier" direction .
    I go by that area often and have been watching the progress over the weeks.
    I think this is a great fit for Downtown , something unique to Downtown.

Now if we can just get a few more unique , to downtown places ,[[cheesecake factory , house of blues ,type places) That would speak volumes to the entire area .
    Even though I've been to both places and they have them through out the nation , this would be big to the region and Detroit is the center of the region .
    After my visit to Chicago last weekend , tourist look for these type of places.

With all the new and coming construction and projects, the next 5 years will be
    pretty impressive.

Detroit's downtown will start to look more like a real downtown .

The Roasting Plan announced it is opening tomorrow from 8AM-2PM for the first week and regular hours to be determined later.

http://www.quickenloans.com/press-ro...ional-building

Quote Originally Posted by ron. View Post
    The Roasting Plan announced it is opening tomorrow from 8AM-2PM for the first week and regular hours to be determined later.

When I was in there for their soft opening last Saturday they said their planned permanent hours were going to be:

M-F:6am-6pm
    Sat,Sun:7am-1pm

Hopefully they expand on those, but not bad at the start!

Quote Originally Posted by ron. View Post

Here now. Pretty cool spot and busy already. This is a good location. And the coffee is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post

Cheers!
    I stopped in there on Wednesday afternoon with a friend. I must have been there during the soft opening.

The 'robotics' actually had the opposite effect. I actually spent some time talking to the barista. She explained the process mechanical process for sucking up the beans, the grinders/brewer, and explained how each cup comes with a sticker to remind you what you ordered.

I got a nice Guatemalan coffee, my coworker a Colombian blend. Both of us said it would be a great place to take the spouse/family the next time they are downtown.

I heard they're going to have a tube running coffee down Woodward between New Center and Downtown with future plans to extend it to Ferndale/Royal Oak and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    I heard they're going to have a tube running coffee down Woodward between New Center and Downtown with future plans to extend it to Ferndale/Royal Oak and beyond.
    LOL! Did you hear if it's curbside or down the median center?

ArmDetroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    hahaha... You just won the internet

I had went there this past saturday. The coffee was good. I love looking at the beans being sucked through the tubes. They don't have a defenite hours of operation. They are keeping bankers hours now. 7:30am to 3:30pm One of the baristers had said that the store hours would probably increase once they hire more people. Hopefully they would stay open lat during the winterblast

I heard the same thing too , I was with a friend "coffee snob" and she loved the coffee, we were chatting while drinking our coffee in the front window and a guy was next to us on his laptop , he turned out to be the Detroit Manager .
    He said he heard us talking and wanted to say thanks . We chatted more about all the new coffee house in Detroit and how many he has tried he's been to all but one, Great lakes !
    He said he really likes Detroit , he is from NYC and likes that things aren't as rushed as they are in NYC .
    He said he will be traveling back and forth between cities , at that moment he was going to the airport to pick up a friend from NYC.
    He feels Detroit is about to really open up . He told us to be careful the word is getting out in NYC and you know how New Yorkers love a pet project LOL :-)
    seems like New Yorkers have pick Detroit as there next play ground !
    enjoy Detroit while you can things are about to change a lot in the next 5 years !

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    He feels Detroit is about to really open up . He told us to be careful the word is getting out in NYC and you know how New Yorkers love a pet project LOL :-)
    seems like New Yorkers have pick Detroit as there next play ground !
    enjoy Detroit while you can things are about to change a lot in the next 5 years !
    The NY Times has really had a crush on Detroit lately. My husband's best friend lives in Brooklyn and he asked him a while back, "What the hell is going on out there in Detroit? I keep hearing about it over here."
    I have a feeling a few key details are being left out, but I'll take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    You can bet on it.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    The NY Times has really had a crush on Detroit lately. My husband's best friend lives in Brooklyn and he asked him a while back, "What the hell is going on out there in Detroit? I keep hearing about it over here."
    I have a feeling a few key details are being left out, but I'll take it.
    You're telling me ? I've been saying that,[[NYC has a crush on Detroit) for a while on this site. I remember when I first moved back here in 2008 and went to a cocktail party at the condos on Woodward /75 ,on the I 75 side ,I ran into a woman that is a writer for the New York Times, she had just moved to Detroit also, she was gloating over Detroit back then.
    In 2008 there were lots of rumors were all ready out about Whole Foods, the Book ect ! and people would say " there is no way they would EVERY open a whole foods in Detroit".
    Lately there's been something new opening ever month ! It's starting to become hard to keep up with all the new things opening ! ,If this trends continues in the next 10 years with the new arena, rail, hotels and shopping , Downtown well be impressive once again !
    The rest of the city is getting attention too in my area they built a new high school , Sinai Grace is getting a HUGE up grade and I've notice new stores [[Tim Horton's ), clothing ect.
    And there FINALLY seems to be some sort of plans, through Detroit Future City,to move the city forward .
    Detroit City still has a LONG way to go , but it seems to slowly getting it's footing .
    Also seems like the City council is finally waking up with a agreement for a regional transit,lighting, cobo, zoo, dia, ect plans.
    This hasn't happen in my lifetime and hopefully in my lifetime I will be able to witness Detroit on it's way back to greatness ? I would really hate to move again.
    one can hope !

We stopped in, today, while visiting Winter Blast. I don't drink coffee, but the aroma was fantastic as we entered. Colleen had her fix, and offers "thumbs up".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast