Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Duggan requiring his staff to volunteer for community programs.

http://www.freep.com/article/2013011...-serve-Detroit

Is it an obvious grab for positive press? Yes

Does it actually help the city? Yes

Is it pretty goddamn clever and the kind of shrewdness I want in a leader? Yes

In one move he's just shown himself to be more politically savvy than our current mayor has in four years.

I'll bet there will be a lot of clean up projects in Palmer Woods.

He was McNamara's pet, so his political savviness has never been in question.

What I do question is if he'll be able to get the job done, unlike his predecessors.

What I mean is taking action to improve the quality of life of Detroit residents.

He's slick all right. But that's the easy part. I'm reserving judgement until I see what his real plans are.

Re-read it. These are not paid staff. These are volunteers. The volunteers pick the project. Being that these are volunteers working for the betterment of the City, I don't see what your issue is or why you worded your post this way.

At least they're being asked to do community service. Under CAY, they were required to do re-election campaign work. [[Duggan +1)

Duggan sent an email out asking volunteers/supporters/etc to join him tomorrow with a day of service. The project they are joining up with is helping to board up houses in the neighborhood around Detroit International Academy for Young Women - aka the old Northwestern HS building - which I now see is mentioned at the bottom of the email.

And this idea didn't come from Duggan - it came from his campaign manager, Bryan Barnhill.

Also nice to see an article actually recognize that Lisa Howze is the only declared candidate in the race.