Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Pictures of the Detroit 2013 North American International Auto Show

Welcome to the 2013 North American International Auto Show. The Darling of the Show Award goes to the new Corvette.

It had a constant crowd about it and has captured the buzz. I had score tickets to the Industry Preview day so the crowd was light but heavy in intent. Gear-weenies, car nerds, brainy engineer types in ill-fitting suits probed and poked into the cars, under hood and seats.

Warning! Do not drop acid before viewing this Toyota concept vehicle with its moving LED display on the side.

More sober is their concept for the boring old Camry.

Let's take a look at some of the concept highlights. Two entries by Hyundai are this sports car, my fav, and a brash sedan.

A sleet beauty by BMW.

And a grille monster by Audi.

Gull wing take flight with this Daimler Benz.

...and electric powered Tesla sedan.

Speaking of electric the Cadillac ELR is their Volt on steroids.

I forgot who made this moustached entry...

...and this electric scooter.

Finally Nissan's concept. Love the lines.

Gag Me Color of the Year Award goes to this cotton-candy blue picked up by Ford in the Mustang...

... and this Volvo.

My Glitziest Display award goes to Infiniti.

My Ditziest Display award goes to Nissan, which while having an impressive appearance was inaccessibly off-putting.

Who wants to walk up stairs and around fences? Not me and apparently few others. They do get my kudos for their concept car's colors as seen above.

Cobo Hall renovations are in progress. The long front hall now opens to the Riverfront with this high vaulted atrium. Unfortunately the placement of a stage and a lounge behind it broke it up and stole the drama of its size.

...and looking back from where the last picture was taken

Cobo Arena is still under construction as a massive ballroom which will greatly enhance the dramatic effect of the atrium and the flow of the exhibition space.

Greeting signe seen from the Riverfront entrance.

For those moneybags of you out there may I suggest this cute Maserati?

Or this I-own-the-world Bentley?

Prefer somthing quick? Along the lines of a Jag?

Or a Porsche?

Or just a plain old Ferrari?

So many choices so little time.

For the rest of us there is this stubby little Fiat that is actually quite comfortable to sit in.

This I-have-no-idea-what-it-is.

A reliable 'Imported from Detroit' Chrysler.

Or this old stand-by, a 1903 Ford Model A.

We're here to help you so Welcome to the D...

...but watch out for the snakes.

Outstanding , Thank you that was nice.

Scion's answer to a car that needed no answer - the Smart car

Lovely lovely car - Bill Ford got it for a song at a Brit auction

Great news for downtown. Over 100,000 attended each of the first two days.

THANKS a million for posting, the MotorCity rocks!

What is the new Vette doing with Camaro tail lights?

I believe the Camaro was designed in Australia by GM's Australia outfit, Holden

We will have our Motorshow in July, here in Melbourne

Thanks again, good photos

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE View Post

What is the new Vette doing with Camaro tail lights?
    it doesn't
    Name:  C7 tail lights.jpg
Views: 1416
Size:  6.0 KB Name:  New-Chevy-Camaro-Taillights-SM.jpg
Views: 5193
Size:  67.2 KB

What did Honda have to offer? In Japan they are selling an "n-Box," which looks to be the successor to the Element. Selling like crazy too. I'm hoping they bring it to the states.

Quote Originally Posted by mallory View Post
    What did Honda have to offer? In Japan they are selling an "n-Box," which looks to be the successor to the Element. Selling like crazy too. I'm hoping they bring it to the states.
    I don't recall seeing what you're describing but I may have just missed it. Here's some of what they had:

I loved the Tesla Model S [[battery was dying so the pics are a bit blurry):

In which Toyota rips off not only the Smart design, but the Name. here is the Scion IQ. ick

Name:  Scion IQ 1.jpg
Views: 1227
Size:  79.8 KB

The engine I dream of...
    Name:  Super Snake engine.jpg
Views: 1233
Size:  84.4 KB

and its car...
    Name:  Shelby Super Snake.jpg
Views: 1252
Size:  82.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by mallory View Post

I was at the Montreal Intl auto show last weekend, it is scheduled at the same time as Detroit's. I saw the world premiere of a Honda Gear concept car, the only real premiere at our show.

My fave was the Ford Focus ST, great little car, very tight and sporty in the driver's seat. Beautiful interior design, very subdued but punchy at the same time. There was a funny little robot named Hank for Ford doing a nice skit talking one on one with the audience and gesticulating madly.

One company offered a trial run [[two laps) at a test track with a Ferrari or a Lamborghini for a 129 bucks. They have a guy sitting next to you with a kill switch but apparently, you can drive at high speed in a straightaway...

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    it doesn't
    Name:  C7 tail lights.jpg
Views: 1416
Size:  6.0 KB Name:  New-Chevy-Camaro-Taillights-SM.jpg
Views: 5193
Size:  67.2 KB
    They might not be exactly the same, but very similar. I hear the Vette loyalists are pissed about them though. Most felt they should have stayed round.