Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

sveta Guest

Default How has your relationship with Russia?

How has your relationship to Russia in connection with the adoption of a ban on adoptions by Americans in response to the act of Magnitsky?

I feel badly for those Russian children and prospective American parents affected by this decision, but overall I think this will end up as a positive for America [[Obviously, it's not a positive sign for Russia/U.S relations). There are over 100k American children currently in our foster care system awaiting adoption, and perhaps this will lead to some of them finding a home.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    I feel badly for those Russian children and prospective American parents affected by this decision, but overall I think this will end up as a positive for America [[Obviously, it's not a positive sign for Russia/U.S relations). There are over 100k American children currently in our foster care system awaiting adoption, and perhaps this will lead to some of them finding a home.
    I don't feel badly for those Americans screwed over by this for precisely the reason given in your last sentance

I know of an American parent of two Russian children who is unfit to be a parent, so it does give me pause. That said, I'm sure there are many, many deserving and loving American parents.

This thing has deeper roots, however. However you feel about GWB, he was no diplomat, and seemingly did his best to antagonize Russia at every turn. Meanwhile, Russia slowly morphed into an authoritarian state.

Much of this is cultural though. The US is perceived, really not wrongly, as being the land of burgers and big box stores, evangelicalism, and consumerism. Russians are a very different lot from us, and while change has certainly come to Russia, they have held fast to their culture and their religion, in large part. I think a lot of it is they don't want Russian kids to be brought up as toilet-busting, couch potato Americans. It's a hard reality to face but tough to argue with. I think they're certainly going about it in the wrong way though.