Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default DYC/Past Commodores

Hello, I just joined after being a surfer of this awesome forum for about a year.

Was wondering if I could get some help researching info about a dear family friend. His name was Bernard Brown. He passed away in the early 1990's; I knew him when I was kid. Our family tells stories about his love of boating and sportfishing. I recently found out he had a yacht [[two successive yachts, actually) moored at the DYC in the 1960's. They were sizable-50-60 feet from what I'm told and were crewed. They were named "Imperial" and "Imperial II". Mr. Brown was also a commodore of the DYC, 1965-ish.

I would love to find out more about his yachting legacy, his time at the DYC, and the "Imperials". I'd really love to see some old photos of him with the boats!

I'm told he and the boat were featured in a Detroit News article, but I don't know the date[[s). So, I guess my second request would be for any suggestions as to how I could research old News editions [[I tried for several hours on library-based search engines, but they seem to be by subject and author, not by name or word as might appear in an article with a broad date range).

Looking forward to hearing back!

Regards,
    Scott
    GP Park

Contact the DYC they have records going back to the club's founding.

Good suggestion, thanks!

Hoping there's someone out there that might have pics. The boat[[s) made trips to Florida from time to time; maybe some snow bird's have info...