Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroit urbex tours! Yay!

Is this really what it has degraded into? A complete Disneyland attraction?

Join Alanna, Jesse and Eric for a Day in the D! Abandoned building bus tour of Detroit! Spend a day with us exploring inside some of the best-known abandoned buildings of Detroit all while riding in a Bianco luxury bus with wi-fi and a bathroom! - the Book Tower, Packard Plant, Fisher Body Plant 21 and the outside of the Michigan Train Station [[locations are subject to change). Along the way to these destinations we will take the "Scenic Route" through some of Detroit's neighborhoods, the Edison District, Indian Village, and everyday Detroit. See Detroit's true beauty. Now that is the way to spend a Saturday!

Lunch will be Included Traffic Jam and Snug at 1:00 pm

[[limited menu provided)

The bus tour will depart from Oakland Mall [[outside Macy's), where we will meet and park our cars. Boarding to the bus will commence at 9:30 am and depart 10:00 am sharply. From there, we will stop at the above listed locations, where you will have the opportunity to take photos. We will return to the mall by 6:00 pm.

*******SAVINGS************************************ ***

The cost of the tour is $125 BUT if you book a space by Wednesday, January 31, the cost is only $100 [[$25 savings!). You can book the bus tour here through PayPal and once the January 31 date goes by, the price will be changed to $125. So don't delay!

__________________________________________________ ___

We look forward to seeing you there, this is going to be one great trip. Let's hit the ground rolling! Revive Detroit!

*ALL participants are expected to be in general good health and must sign a liability waiver. If you require special accommodation please feel free to contact Jesse or Alanna

The Bus

Our trusted vendor Bianco Tours has provided us with the best

◦55-Passenger
    ◦TV monitors and DVD players
    ◦Reclining seats
    ◦Restrooms
    ◦Public address systems
    ◦Stereos
    ◦Individual climate controls
    ◦Individual reading lights
    ◦Polarized windows for viewing pleasure
    ◦Adjustable foot rests
    ◦Air-ride suspension
    ◦Overhead storage compartments
    ◦On-board Internet services
    ◦Uniformed drivers
    ◦Fresh Water

Go to FaceBook and like us!
    http://www.meetup.com/Motor-City-Pho...ents/99947512/
    http://www.meetup.com/Motor-City-Pho...ents/98733272/

seriously....wtf? I wonder what the DPD think of this....lol
    Last edited by WaCoTS; January-18-13 at 12:43 PM.

Hey! The bus has wifi so what do you want. This is the future of Detroit right here.

yeah definitely, lol...why not just set up our own version of Disney's "It's A Small World After All" ride through the blighted areas of our city?

ugh, time to go throw up now

"Michigan Train Station" and "Edison District".... something is amiss here... these tour operators don't sound like they know their itinerary....

This should be part of the business ripe to start in Detroit thread. There is only one spot left already at 100 bucks a pop. They need more buses! LOL

Let's examine if it's possible to get them arrested for trespassing or some other offense, even if it's just a fine.

I'm not familiar with Detroit/Michigan law, but do private citizens have standing to call the cops and report that folks are trespassing on others' [[i.e., not their) property?

Let's flesh this out and see if there's anything that can be done.

Also, a news article for reference: http://www.topix.com/forum/detroit/T3PLP8LN6KOM37IPU

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...doned-building

It *can* happen. I know a few DPD cops, but don't know their districts or even if they can enforce stuff outside of their districts. Would be nice to alert them to the details of the trip.

BTW, it's the "Scenic Route" in quotes that has me this fired up.

Unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post
    Let's examine if it's possible to get them arrested for trespassing or some other offense, even if it's just a fine.

I'm not familiar with Detroit/Michigan law, but do private citizens have standing to call the cops and report that folks are trespassing on others' [[i.e., not their) property?

Let's flesh this out and see if there's anything that can be done.
    I second this request. Please flush these vultures out!

It would be nice if the organizers would at least donate the proceeds to Preservation Detroit or something. But they don't seem to have that kind of mindset.

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceFair View Post
    It would be nice if the organizers would at least donate the proceeds to Preservation Detroit or something. But they don't seem to have that kind of mindset.
    Just out of curiosity why should the proceeds be donated to Detroit Presevation or other groups?

I think a more appropriate name for this tour should be "Explore what 50 Plus Years of a Majority Democrat / Pro-Union / High - Taxes / Anti - Business Government Base Will Get You"

Maybe this should be moved to the "What Is A Business That Would Be RIPE For Starting In Detroit?" thread.

There is huge demand for this. Because of "The Fabulous Ruins of Detroit" site, I have been asked countless times over the years for guided trips of the ruins. When I say $500 an hour with a minimum of 6 hours that quiets things down.

Chartering a bus could gross $4-5K at his rates but who wants to deal with the legalities and potential liabilities? Good luck to them. I wouldn't touch that even with signed releases.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Just out of curiosity why should the proceeds be donated to Detroit Presevation or other groups?
    notice the part in the flyer where it says "We look forward to seeing you there, this is going to be one great trip. Let's hit the ground rolling! Revive Detroit!"

they could at least do something more than just lip service to the cause.

i think that Detroiturbex.com site also offers guided abandoned blg tours apparently for profit...?
    Last edited by WaCoTS; January-18-13 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WaCoTS View Post

i think that Detroiturbex.com site also offers guided abandoned blg tours apparently for profit...?
    Yeah, they just tend to be smaller and without that awesome bus. And I don't think they include lunch but I could be wrong.

Maybe as a bonus everyone can get to start their own abandoned building fire just like in 8 Mile!

Quote Originally Posted by Not In MI View Post
    I think a more appropriate name for this tour should be "Explore what 50 Plus Years of a Majority Democrat / Pro-Union / High - Taxes / Anti - Business Government Base Will Get You"

white suburbanites - come see real, actual, live black people from the protection of your first class bus accomodations...

disgusting.....

I wish there was some way to make sure these assholes, and all of their customers, get arrested for their little suburbanite 'trespassing and gawking' tour [[while staying safely isolated from those scary dark people who, you know, live here and stuff). Truly revolting on every level.

lol, if you go to the bottom of the page and click where it says "Now Hiring" it says "We are profitable, growing, and committed to building an all-star, all-NYC company." LOL

Are they zipping past 8200 Mack, with a quick stop and walk around?

Cheers

I wonder if they are incorporated or if this is just an under-the-table business. Nothing about this is legal. They make people sign releases, but I can't imagine that holding up if got to court. They are essentially leading people into dangerous buildings and breaking the law. I have no problem with individuals doing it, but it's entirely different to have group tours for profit.

This could be a trojan horse. Livonia attacks!

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    This could be a trojan horse. Livonia attacks!
    That has to be one of the coolest threads I have ever read.Well,along with the other hours of reading in the archives.

I am glad you guys are not condoning this,they should stick with the approved historical tours and support them.

Hey Muckraker, do some digging on who these people running this show are and lets put our differences aside and go after them hard. That Detroiturbex guy is bad enough, but this is on a whole new level. This is actually really pathetic.

I don't want to encourage violence, but if someone here is at the Packard and sees this bus floating around outside, please throw a brick at it.

I don't see any voyeuristic or perverse or sinister or exploitative motives amongst these newbie sightseeing 'tourists'. No doubt the tour organizers offer courses or workshops on many subjects/subject matter.

The potential legalities or risks of gate-crashing for urban exploring is another issue of course.
    Last edited by night-timer; January-19-13 at 03:47 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast