Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default What is a business that would be RIPE for starting in Detroit?

This question is intentionally open-ended?

Which business or business-type is ripe for the starting in Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by metadetroit View Post

I've honestly been surprised that no one has attempted a coney island with veggie dogs and veggie chilli in corktown/midtown. I think it would be a hit there.

Funeral home?

On a serious note, and part 2 of your question:

Q2. And could be run from 8200 Mack Ave?

Cheers

Too bad that great building sitting there kind of all by itself. Limits your options doesn't it?

If a German beer garden can work in the villages then I say come full circle and turn it into a German beer hall. Can anyone say 32oz. steins and schnitzel? Grown men in leder hosen? Oh! the possibilities.

Apartment search company.

Lots of people are moving in from the suburbs and other areas and have no idea where to look, what's safe, what neighborhood means what, and so on.

I would expand the the apartment search company concept to offer a 'life in the city' concierge or coaching service. There is more to it than finding accommodations. There is a demand for how-to's, do's and don't's on shopping, recreation, insurance, safety, education, culture and places to meet with others of like mind and become part of a community fabric.

There is great demand and desire to live in what I call T-town Detroit [The T-shaped area from New Center to the River and along the River to both bridges and beyond. Since I first published the core of the site, The Fabulous Ruins of Detroit in 1997, I have had thousands of inquiries of interest in city living and we see them come on this forum regularly.

Snarks above aside, that demand continues and is growing. There is great disbelief by those on the outside who are set in their biases against Detroit, but those who want to live there are not intimidated by the challenges. The culture, energy and excitement supersede those concerns.

The members of this forum have done much to fill that coaching and community need but I always felt it could be a model for a business which could team with the apartment vendors. D-hive is sort of in that direction.

I think that's a good point, Lowell, concerning broadening the scope.

To that extent, we've probably given out half of a dozen copies of the new guidebook, and we've sold people on a few dozen more.

To many outside of it, our city, outside of a few "stamped with approval" areas, is just a scary monolith with nothing to distinguish one area from another.

This goes doubly for people thinking of moving back. Last night at an auto-related function, I was talking with a partner at my wife's firm who practices in the Troy office and lives there as well. She knows folks that have moved to the city, love it, and wants to move down, but she didn't have the first idea where to look, what the different "scenes" were in different neighborhoods and so on and so forth.

An apartment search/lifestyle company would do well to fill that gap in many folks' knowledge. There is only so much that relatively infrequent informal conversations can accomplish to close it.

A chain of grocery stores catering to the elderly and low income residents [[especially to those receiving government food assistance.) No fancy displays, gourmet delis or craft beer selections, but all the basics at reasonable prices. To avoid the normal security and shrinkage issues it could be done as a warehouse store where the customers didn't have direct access to the items, but they could place orders in advance [[or once there) which would be pulled by employees. Regular customers could have weekly or monthly essentials lists that could be refilled automatically and possibly delivered for the elderly of those without transportation. Perhaps they could also offer onsite cooking classes so that customers could pass the time while they waited nd be better prepared to utilize their purchases.

As a taxpayer it ticks me off when I see an "EBT" sign in the window of a party store that sells nothing but overpriced cans of off brand Spaghettios and white bread. And as an American, I'm just as upset that those in real need of food assistance are not receiving any value for their limited funds, and don't have local access to reasonably nutritious meals.

A gluten free pizzeria/restaurant. For all us ceilacs out there and the people who love them.

Thanks to all for the replies. This question comes from a Detroit expat who is always considering starting moving back to Detroit if an interesting opportunity came up [[or a really good entrepreneurial idea).

I currently practice residential real estate brokerage in NYC - and I have ideas bubbling about how to transfer some of those skills to Detroit.

The apartment rental / lifestyle concept seems really interesting. And from everything I read - it seems high end rental demand in Detroit is strong. The question would be how to make that pay-out for a new company..

Other ideas: Espresso bar [[though this venture is long grueling hours and the potential profit margins are razor thin) or a second-run movie house.
    Last edited by metadetroit; January-17-13 at 12:19 PM.

i personally would love to open a coffee shop/huka bar. i think it would work the same way great lakes coffee company would. exept with huka

There's a nice little building sitting on Michigan Ave, offered by O'Connor Realty, that would make an ideal ice cream parlor, plenty of drive thru room, and space for tables outside. Could be seasonal, or year round with seating inside.

Quote Originally Posted by socks_mahoney View Post
    A gluten free pizzeria/restaurant. For all us ceilacs out there and the people who love them.
    Buddy's Pizza makes a pretty decent pie for the gluten free folks. But as far as I know there isn't a Buddy's in the city itself. And I also agree that there should be some other alternative dining options for folks who are lactose intolerant or who are celiacs.

I know we have a fair amount of vegetarian options but so many of them still use cheese, cheese and more cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    Buddy's Pizza makes a pretty decent pie for the gluten free folks. But as far as I know there isn't a Buddy's in the city itself. And I also agree that there should be some other alternative dining options for folks who are lactose intolerant or who are celiacs.

I know we have a fair amount of vegetarian options but so many of them still use cheese, cheese and more cheese.
    Come on! Does anybody on this board ever come to the city? The ORIGINAL Buddy's is in the city, and is one of the coolest places in Detroit, in my opinion. Much cooler than the storefront Buddy's in the suburbs, and what can be better than their pizza and a cold draft beer?

http://www.buddyspizza.com/locations.html

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Come on! Does anybody on this board ever come to the city? The ORIGINAL Buddy's is in the city, and is one of the coolest places in Detroit, in my opinion. Much cooler than the storefront Buddy's in the suburbs, and what can be better than their pizza and a cold draft beer?

Seriously, how ironic is this? Wow.

Old pans. Guaranteed to taste much better than any of the new locations. Live a little! Not too far from I-75.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post

C'Mon Poobert.

You must know by now that anywhere outside of downtown isn't part of the city. Until Buddy's opens up shop at Compuware or Ford Field they simply aren't in the city. LOL

more sit-down family restaurants.. [[not just downtown/midtown)
    Skiing/Winter hobby supply shop

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I would expand the the apartment search company concept to offer a 'life in the city' concierge or coaching service. There is more to it than finding accommodations. There is a demand for how-to's, do's and don't's on shopping, recreation, insurance, safety, education, culture and places to meet with others of like mind and become part of a community fabric.
    http://dhivedetroit.org/

Since I moved here, I've always thought a Chipotle would make bank in the CBD, and it always amazes me that there's no Little Caesar's downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Since I moved here, I've always thought a Chipotle would make bank in the CBD, and it always amazes me that there's no Little Caesar's downtown.
    Chipotle would do well in any location. Actually a quick-service lunch 'artisinal' burrito place is a great idea - there are tons of them in NYC with long lines everyday.

Little Caesar's - I get your point - but my stomach just turned thinking about that neon sludge.

Yes mentioned them here:
    The members of this forum have done much to fill that coaching and community need but I always felt it could be a model for a business which could team with the apartment vendors. D-hive is sort of in that direction.

It'd be kinda cool if they had a Little Caesar's flagship in downtown Detroit somewhere in Hockeytown/Ilitchville. Hopefully the pizza would be of better quality than what they sell at the franchise locations.

ArmDetroit Guest

I think a skateboard shop would do well in midtown or downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE View Post
    Funeral home?

On a serious note, and part 2 of your question:

Q2. And could be run from 8200 Mack Ave?

Cheers
    8200 Mack Ave is built like a tank. So as far as my business being safe, it's an ideal location. But I'd sink alot of my overhead into heating that beast!

Chipotle would do well in any location. Actually a quick-service lunch 'artisinal' burrito place is a great idea - there are tons of them in NYC with long lines everyday.

Little Caesar's - I get your point - but my stomach just turned thinking about that neon sludge.
    I agree. It would work well in Detroit. They can survive in even very limited office environments. I've given up trying to get food there though. Even with their speedy service, they can't move 300 people through the line fast enough. They work best in narrow spaces. Something the Dime building or Chrysler whatever can offer if they have the space.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast