Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Corktown Redevelopment Spreading Past Slows

Exciting article on Curbed today. Looks like the abandoned service station at Michigan and 17th is becoming Pot & Box, an Ann Arbor based gardening and flower shop. Add this on to Two James Spirits Distillery opening at Michigan and 16th and the Detroit Dog Park being located in the Macomb Playlot and it's easy to see development spreading past Roosevelt Park. Exciting!

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...o-corktown.php

Two James Spirits is also started by two U-M grads, as was the Detroit Bus Co. Packs of Wolverines bleeding blue in the city? That's good news for Detroit.

It's great to see all this investment and reinvestment in a neighborhood bordering Downtown but definitely spreading away from the Woodward corridor. Corktown is a terrific neighborhood and an important link between relatively intact Southwest and the momentum downtown. I'd also like to point out that it's great to see Roosevelt Park all lit up at night. DPL has replaced many streetlight poles, installed refurbished lamp fixtures, and connected them all with overhead wiring. When I was there almost a month ago it was awash with light after dark....terrific!

On the topic of Corktown... is there any way one could knock off the office building section of Michigan Central Station and just essentially save the depot? Seems like that would make a restoration project more realistic, but then again, I've heard that such an approach may be impossible. What's the scoop?

I'd love to see someone pickup the building between 10th & 11th that used to house The Great Wall. At one time this had been an ice cream shop and that would be a great addition to the neighborhood again.

Quote Originally Posted by rutlev View Post
    I'd love to see someone pickup the building between 10th & 11th that used to house The Great Wall. At one time this had been an ice cream shop and that would be a great addition to the neighborhood again.
    I have always thought that idea would make a killing. Unfortunately you have to buy the whole block...which i think are really short lots [[due to the widening of mich ave)