Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New Center Apartment Redevelopment

With their work in Palmer Park and now in the New Center, are Kathy Makino-Leipsitz and Shelborne Development becoming the Dan Gilbert of Detroit apartments?

http://www.modeldmedia.com/devnews/n...hab011513.aspx

While there are a number of Rosey Senario folks on DYES, I often think that most people here like to complain more than comment on positive developments. There is no shortage of moaning about the impending tear down of the Charlevoix Hotel, and yet the renovation of six historic apartment buildings in the New Center does not elicit any comments, other than someone starting an additional [[also commentless) thread on the same subject.

Why don't we celebrate the progress a bit more?

First I've read of this - terrific news! Spreading growth in any direction is wonderful.

Fantastic!

I read Model D everyday listing developments are already happening and yes deserve recognition,but as they are in a sense being handled what is wrong with directing attention towards the areas that also deserve some recognition, there are those fighting everyday there also to make thier neighborhood a better place,but because it is not a hip place they also do not deserve some credit and support also?

I'm so very grateful to Kathy Makino-Leipsitz and Shelborne Development for all they're doing!!Thanks so much!
    Last edited by trotwood; January-16-13 at 10:15 PM. Reason: corrected spelling mistake

Quote Originally Posted by trotwood View Post
    I so very grateful to Kathy Makino-Leipsitz and Shelborne Development for all they're doing!!Thanks so much!
    Agreed! They are doing at least nine projects in Palmer Park and now six in New Center. Those will have a significant impact on those areas.

Glad to see that two "problem buildings" with out of state owners are among the six New Center rehabs. So many historic apartment buildings have been lost.
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; January-16-13 at 05:32 PM.

Is it true that Seward St. was Detroit's much smaller version of New York's Park Ave.? I've been told that and the way these apartments are make me think that during Detroit's heydey it was so. These are beautiful apartment buildings.

Curbed did a great report today as well.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...rehab-work.php

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Agreed! They are doing at least nine projects in Palmer Park and now six in New Center. Those will have a significant impact on those areas.

Glad to see that two "problem buildings" with out of state owners are among the six New Center rehabs. So many historic apartment buildings have been lost.
    I saw someone,perhaps Kathy Makino-Leipsitz[[?),give a presentation a few years ago to Detroit City Council before work began on the buildings in Palmer Park. At the time I was both highly impressed with what I saw/heard and very skeptical of any follow through. Now each&every time I pass Palmer Park and catch sight of their building in Palmer Park I'm always so pleased&so grateful. I've never been so thrilled to be proven wrong as I am as I look at the improvements Kathy Makino-Leipsitz and Shelborne Development are making. I'm sure they'll do a wonderful job in the New Center!
    Thank you DetroiterOn for starting this thread.

This could really turn around Virginia Park and the streets in the immediate vicinity. Between Palmer Park and New Center Shelborne is doing great things for this city in pivotal locations. I'm impressed by the magnitude of what they are willing to take on and the success of La Vogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Flintoid View Post
    Curbed did a great report today as well.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...rehab-work.php
    Thanks for the link. Curbed has provided great pics of all the buildings.

It becomes difficult to get excited when there aren't any pics to see what buildings are being restored...

But now that Flintoid found a link with images of the buildings in question... my comment is WOW!

For some reason that part of New Center always gets overshadowed by the main complex. The only other large building in the area I even knew about was 105 E. Bethune... is AT&T still using that?

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    It becomes difficult to get excited when there aren't any pics to see what buildings are being restored...

But now that Flintoid found a link with images of the buildings in question... my comment is WOW!

For some reason that part of New Center always gets overshadowed by the main complex. The only other large building in the area I even knew about was 105 E. Bethune... is AT&T still using that?
    That's a good point, Gistok. One of the issues that I have with Model D is that they have so few pics of the projects that they talk about.

While there are a number of Rosey Senario folks on DYES, I often think that most people here like to complain more than comment on positive developments. There is no shortage of moaning about the impending tear down of the Charlevoix Hotel, and yet the renovation of six historic apartment buildings in the New Center does not elicit any comments, other than someone starting an additional [[also commentless) thread on the same subject.

Not only progress, but to embrace change a bit more. Even positive development here is met with complaints or skepticism. Which is absolutely silly IMO since the "do nothing" scenario is leave things a mess of what they are. Though you'd be surprised what some people think....

That said, this is really exciting. Nice block of apartments, and I love every opportunity to see good buildings stick around another lifetime.

It really is crazy the transformation you can see happening slowly but surely at 6 Mile.

This I'm sure is gonna be awesome when it's done.

I'm sure both areas are gonna be tenfold what they currently are once real actual transit to downtown, and the suburban hotspots [[Ferndale, Birmingham) get off the ground.

This actually only serves to highlight just badly Engler fucked every single one of use over when he squashed DARTA 10 years ago.

1. Does anyone know how Shelborne is progressing on their New Center renovations? I've always thought that the New Center area has so much potential in it. I toured several houses and condos back when GM redeveloping properties back in the 80's. I love the mix of houses/apartments/townhouses, sort of like in West Village.

2. On a related note, I was glad to see the abandoned hospital on Virginia Park getting demolished. This Curbed article states that residents are hoping for some "historic-style townhouses" on the vacant land; that would be a great fit for the area.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...d-hospital.php

DetroitBoy Guest

Does anyone know what is driving the need for the gentrified apartments in Palmer Park? Has the neighborhood started to change for the good [[it became really shabby with shadey tenants if you know what I mean). Any new stores or galleries driving the demand for people wanting to live there again? I remember in the '80s and earlier it was quite the place to be before crime got completely out of hand.

I feel you are wrong to use the g word and to make assumptions. From my understanding there are low income apartments within those developments.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBoy View Post
    Does anyone know what is driving the need for the gentrified apartments in Palmer Park? Has the neighborhood started to change for the good [[it became really shabby with shadey tenants if you know what I mean). Any new stores or galleries driving the demand for people wanting to live there again? I remember in the '80s and earlier it was quite the place to be before crime got completely out of hand.

2. On a related note, I was glad to see the abandoned hospital on Virginia Park getting demolished. This Curbed article states that residents are hoping for some "historic-style townhouses" on the vacant land; that would be a great fit for the area.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...d-hospital.php
    I saw this, and I know that the rotting hospital was a big problem for the neighborhood, but I don't know how likely new construction on "historic-style townhouses" is. I know the neighborhood is improving as Woodward and New Center improve, but it seems like a long shot considering Brush Park is still waiting.

With only 50 beds, it seems like the hospital building might have been a candidate for loft conversion as opposed to a hole in the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBoy View Post
    Does anyone know what is driving the need for the gentrified apartments in Palmer Park? Has the neighborhood started to change for the good [[it became really shabby with shadey tenants if you know what I mean).
    I wouldn't call it gentrified. There are ads on craigslist for low-income units in the renovated buildings on craigslist. Also, judging by pictures, the units are middle of the road, not what people with a pocket full of money are looking for.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/rea...roit/90755364/

I know that some neighbors would rather not see subsidized senior housing at 59 Seward, but the vacant eyesore that it is now is horrible.

I saw something recently somewhere about work being done at the Wellington/Seward at 59 Seward, but I cannot seem to find it again. I seem to recall that it was still going to be subsidized senior housing with a portion as market rate.

Is this project actually progressing? Could anyone snap a pic or two perhaps? And how is the rest of the Seward doing these days?

I saw something recently somewhere about work being done at the Wellington/Seward at 59 Seward, but I cannot seem to find it again. I seem to recall that it was still going to be subsidized senior housing with a portion as market rate.

Is this project actually progressing? Could anyone snap a pic or two perhaps? And how is the rest of the Seward doing these days?
    While I do not have any pics. [[I'll try to get some for you if I remember) this building currently has windows being installed.

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanViews View Post
    While I do not have any pics. [[I'll try to get some for you if I remember) this building currently has windows being installed.
    That’s good to hear. Windowless buildings look so forlorn and hopeless; they get transformed when windows get reinstalled. I recall that this building is quite prominent on that street and being close to Woodward, it’s blighted status is very detrimental to the area.

As Promised..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast