Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Who loves or hates their 'Dumb' - Smart Phone?

Well at this point many of us now have Smart Phones of various brands, versions and features [[Iphones, Droid, HTC's, Galaxy etc.). How goes it for you? I sorta hate my SP at times though I love being able to get alerts and access my email. Steaming radio and listening to music is a nice option too, but there are problems/ annoyances! Somethings about them are just not to SMART!

For example I don't like the accidental dialing if you fingers simply brush against a contact if you have that window open on an Iphone. This was a never an issue before to this level... Is anyone still using the standard style flip phone with raised keys, without a glass face?
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-13-13 at 02:25 PM.

I hate my Android most of the time. It does things like hang up on people while we are talking, or dialing someone else during a conversation. It also goes off the call screen by itself, then I have a time finding out how to end the call, or find the keypad to hit numbers as needed.

I cannot find how to easily delete e-mails and how to stop it from updating particular accounts. I also hate the picture of a keyboard, though I am getting better at it. Can't have it in my room because it shouts in the middle of night about things like low battery, message coming in, something was updated...

I don't like the picture keys either. For one you cannot dial with standard gloves but stores now sell knit gloves with a 'special' finger coating that can activate Smart Phone keys. I keep a pair in the car for winder emergencies.

Most SP's deactivate phone keyboard face once you put it to your ear, but Apple IPhones come out of that mode even if you adjust the phone against you ear cause thing hangups and mutings etc. There's an App that locks the face while phone during use called 'Call Gaurd'. You can also set timings for certain phones to set when you want various screen to deactivate.

I found many hidden tricks to managing some Smart Phone stupidity on youtube.com. Using the default factory settings you're usually working hard to use SPs. They have to be customized for less drama.

Some Smart Phones have odd mail and messaging options as an asset or a pain depending on how managed. Or ignored. I ignored the mass merging of all of my contacts across my various emails. I'd been warned that as a mess. I also Ignored all of the promptings from google etc. to start new gmail accounts or calendars.

Initially, I had multiple mail accounts prompts. Too much, especially as I have a laptop and computer access for all of that. I reduced the email accounts linked to the phone - easier to manage. I can always go to browser to access those accounts. Ditched all but vital 'push thru' items that were constantly alerting me.

Less is truly more IMO. To avoid the constant beeping and buzzing all night some models have a 'do not disturb' feature only allowing calls to come thru. Most still light up at night - that can be fixed with a high tech method: turn the phone face down! Joy!
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-13-13 at 02:26 PM.

I ignored the mass merging of all of my contacts across my various emails.

That's another thing I hate. I didn't merge either, now I have two contact lists. One is all phone numbers, the other is all computer stuff, FB, e-mail. When I want a phone # sometimes I get the computer list and there is no way to get the phone list from there.

My girlfriend's Android all of a sudden had my Facebook picture in her phonebook entry for me which she didn't do...I really don't like the implications of that.

I haven't joined the SmartPhone revolution yet. I cannot see where it would actually improve my life, and that is the new standard for my future technology purchases. First question I ask is...will this technology become dregs for the trash heap if and when the company fails or is merged...do they have a proprietary way of saving existing data, which has to be manipulated to work with their phone, but bastardizes datasets already in my computer. And does whatever they are trying to get me hooked upon have a monthly service fee, in addition to the other fees I already pay? Twenty bucks doesn't sound like much, so that is the price target they try to sell everyone, Fifty for power users. I don't need another bill in my life, I've spent five years or more whittling my debt load down to where it is now.

Smart Phones make people look dumb, and there is evidence it MAKES them dumber along the way.

The Maps app is about the only thing I like. If I get in a traffic jam, I can use the Maps app to find out how long the jam is and how to get around it if I want to. I have been tempted to revert to my granny phone, but I would miss that Maps app.

I guess I'm one of last members of the Blackberry nation. Mine is the Blackberry Tour that I've had for 3 yrs now. I previously had a Samsung something that was one of the original keyless smartphones. I'm someone that needs a QWERTY keypad that I can actually touch, which is why I don't want to give up my Blackberry. For my uses, the Blackberry if perfect. I don't need all the entertainment apps that just suck down your battery on the smartphones.

"Is anyone still using the standard style flip phone with raised keys, without a glass face?"

Uhhhhhhhhhh, yes.

I've had a cheapo Samsung/T-Mobile pay-as-you-go flip-phone for nearly six years that just gave up the ghost last month. Since my iPod had also died recently [[a 3rd gen model that lasted a staggering 9 years with one $20 battery swap after the fifth year) I decided to spring for an iPhone.

I poked around on Craigslist and found a refurbed iPhone 3GS unlocked at a MetroPCS store. I popped my pay-as-you-go SIM card in, and it's up and running like a champ. It still holds a charge, and runs the latest iOS just fine. Much better call reception than the Samsung, and, while I don't have a data plan, the wifi works just fine for me. I found a free maps program that doesn't need a data connection as well - not nearly as nice as Google Maps, but it's free. My iTunes library just ported right over to it as well.

If you want an iPhone/smart phone but don't want to spring for a data plan or contract, a refurbed and unlocked iPhone 3GS with a T-Mobile SIM is a great way to go. You'll spend between $80 and $150 depending on the vendor, capacity and condition. T-Mobile charges about $0.10/minute, but I use my cell so little I end up paying about $4/month for service.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    "Is anyone still using the standard style flip phone with raised keys, without a glass face?"

Uhhhhhhhhhh, yes.
    Yeah, I do too. But I spend about 10 - 12 hours a day working on a computer, so when I'm done for the day, I don't feel the need to have one in my pocket. I actually call people on it too. That really pisses some people off these days. I have to admit that I'm getting a little tired of trying to have a conversation with someone while they've got their face buried in a cell phone, surfing and texting. I pause the conversation for a moment out of courtesy, and I always hear, "Go ahead, I'm listening." They are nice, but I can do without for a while. I also don't like kids running around on my lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Yeah, I do too. But I spend about 10 - 12 hours a day working on a computer, so when I'm done for the day, I don't feel the need to have one in my pocket. I actually call people on it too. That really pisses some people off these days. I have to admit that I'm getting a little tired of trying to have a conversation with someone while they've got their face buried in a cell phone, surfing and texting. I pause the conversation for a moment out of courtesy, and I always hear, "Go ahead, I'm listening." They are nice, but I can do without for a while. I also don't like kids running around on my lawn.
    I too spend 9 hours of my day on a PC, take care of what business I have to, [[DY posts), and can get my detailed message accross to someone in 2 minutes verbally, as opposed to trying to explain myself for a half hour texn' on an itsy-bitsy keyboard. I was @ the Woodbridge having dinner with a friend, on a Friday night. A younger couple comes in, looks like a date. They order, then from that moment on, through the entire meal, she commences to trying to negotiate a Middle East peace treaty, on her cell phone. Had to be, I don't know what else required THAT intensity. I mean the poor guy is sitting there looking stupid and she's going to town on that phone. Never saw her say one word. She's lucky she wasn't with me. I would have excused myself, and left through the back door. Can you guess if I'm married? And I know EXACTLY what you mean about those DAMN kids on the lawn!

Yeah I do some 'share everything' use, but overall, I refuse 'mass-mosh' merge all of your stuff... I also got prompts to start other email accounts and refused. I have 7 or so email accounts already that I have to deal with related to jobs sites etc. I just linked my main email, that's all.

My Ical doe not work really well, via the Cloud or otherwise. The main reason I even fool with an Iphone is to synch a call to my Apple computer. Fairly useless. I will probably end up just using a google calendar.

I've learned to respond only to the what I feel I need - Ignoring the rest of the 'features'. I have a computer... for that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    I ignored the mass merging of all of my contacts across my various emails.

That's another thing I hate. I didn't merge either, now I have two contact lists. One is all phone numbers, the other is all computer stuff, FB, e-mail. When I want a phone # sometimes I get the computer list and there is no way to get the phone list from there.

Last edited by Zacha341; January-15-13 at 06:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    I've had a cheapo Samsung/T-Mobile pay-as-you-go flip-phone for nearly six years that just gave up the ghost last month. Since my iPod had also died recently [[a 3rd gen model that lasted a staggering 9 years with one $20 battery swap after the fifth year) I decided to spring for an iPhone.

I poked around on Craigslist and found a refurbed iPhone 3GS unlocked at a MetroPCS store. I popped my pay-as-you-go SIM card in, and it's up and running like a champ. It still holds a charge, and runs the latest iOS just fine. Much better call reception than the Samsung, and, while I don't have a data plan, the wifi works just fine for me. I found a free maps program that doesn't need a data connection as well - not nearly as nice as Google Maps, but it's free. My iTunes library just ported right over to it as well.

If you want an iPhone/smart phone but don't want to spring for a data plan or contract, a refurbed and unlocked iPhone 3GS with a T-Mobile SIM is a great way to go. You'll spend between $80 and $150 depending on the vendor, capacity and condition. T-Mobile charges about $0.10/minute, but I use my cell so little I end up paying about $4/month for service.

Good info. Guy's @ work spend up $160 monthly on their Android or I-Phone fees.

I do like the maps as well. Has save me a great deal of hassle...

The Maps app is about the only thing I like. If I get in a traffic jam, I can use the Maps app to find out how long the jam is and how to get around it if I want to. I have been tempted to revert to my granny phone, but I would miss that Maps app.

Yes, some outdoor and mechanical workers, such a line workers, auto technicians etc or just folks sick of delicate, hard-to-dial, glass-front Smart Phones use industrial, rugged flip phones which are not as limited as they once were. A neighbor has one that is great [[his speaker phone feature is far better than my stupid Iphone). It has rubberized surfaces, large tactile buttons, a great speaker and ample screen. There's a version similar to it called the Rugby II sold thru AT&T!

Umm, there's also the Jitterbug which is now marketing a more sleek model in black with more features as a response to those who do not want glass-front phones.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post

Uhhhhhhhhhh, yes.

I hear you. You can get great deals on Ebay as well... And to prepare for use of a Smart Phone, Iphone I started out with an Ipod Touch. That helped me adapt to SP interface...

I never pay/ play the Apple game of ultra high prices, then relaunch new version 10 minutes later/ and sudden drop of price of item you just bought high. Nope. I always wait. I use a 3GS daily. Some must have a 'fresh' phone every 8 months have questioned why I've not upgraded to the 4GS. For me it's economics and practicality. I only paid paid $50 for my Iphone 3GS at the end of it's sell cycle... then it went bad almost a year in.

Went to Apple store and they replaced it with another new 3GS five months ago, updated my OS to current setup. Phone works. Perhaps I will go with the 4GS once it drops down to $50 or less now that the 5G is out there. But I don't feel the compelling rush to pay big money outside of my contract of convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    ...I poked around on Craigslist and found a refurbed iPhone 3GS unlocked at a MetroPCS store. I popped my pay-as-you-go SIM card in, and it's up and running like a champ. It still holds a charge, and runs the latest iOS just fine. Much better call reception than the Samsung, and, while I don't have a data plan, the wifi works just fine for me. I found a free maps program that doesn't need a data connection as well - not nearly as nice as Google Maps, but it's free. My iTunes library just ported right over to it as well.

My Droid will do 4G, guess what, most of the time I am not in an area where 4G is available so it is usually just doing 3, sometimes 2. Still works as annoyingly as ever. Don't waste your $$ just for the label.

Add another member to the non- smartphone club. I think my cell phone is almost 10 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Add another member to the non- smartphone club. I think my cell phone is almost 10 years old.
    I wish I could go back to those days ,my favorite phones were my first Bag Phone that was carried around like a purse but could call from anywhere in the country @5 watts clear as a bell and the little Star-Tac flip phone. My Iphone 3g has become what I guess is a necessary evil in business.I have not quite figured out what is smart about it other then my fingers are to big.

No hard line sense 1992 life is complicated at times I guess.

Yep, the whole 4G, 3G is hype in a way. It's the service the really makes a a difference. I get a good signal nearly everywhere with my OLD [[only a year old) Iphone 3Gs...

My Droid will do 4G, guess what, most of the time I am not in an area where 4G is available so it is usually just doing 3, sometimes 2. Still works as annoyingly as ever. Don't waste your $$ just for the label.

I loved my trusty Motorola Razr. It had a great speaker option auto-adjusted to ambient noise. The buttons easy to use. Iphone speaker stinks. Virtually useless... for me to use the speaker phone option of my phone I have to hold it like a mircophone and talk into it to be heard usually. I cannot be heard unless I nearly shout. USELESS. The whole idea of a speaker is to be able to put the phone down and talk.

I maintain a land phone [[cordless and a corded unit in case of power outage) a trusty Panasonic unit... at home I don't use my Iphone much. My land phone has a perfect speaker option allowing me to not have to hold a handset or use a bluetooth if I want to go hands free a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I wish I could go back to those days ,my favorite phones were my first Bag Phone that was carried around like a purse but could call from anywhere in the country @5 watts clear as a bell and the little Star-Tac flip phone. My Iphone 3g has become what I guess is a necessary evil in business.I have not quite figured out what is smart about it other then my fingers are to big.

No hard line sense 1992 life is complicated at times I guess.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-16-13 at 05:59 AM.

Resale value on used iPhones is still pretty good. I bought the 2nd generation iPhone and I've barely had to pay anything to upgrade since then. It's the best deal out there. I'm currently using an iPhone 5. The data seems to work better in the limited LTE areas.

Never had a problem. Never had a concern. I miss the simplicity of an old flip phone when I didn't even send text messages, but I don't foresee myself going back to that. The convenience of an iPhone is just too overwhelming.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I loved my trusty Motorola Razr. It had a great speaker option auto-adjusted to ambient noise. The buttons easy to use. Iphone speaker stinks. Virtually useless... for me to use the speaker phone option of my phone I have to hold it like a mircophone and talk into it to be heard usually. I cannot be heard unless I nearly shout. USELESS. The whole idea of a speaker is to be able to put the phone down and talk.

I maintain a land phone [[cordless and a corded unit in case of power outage) a trusty Panasonic unit... at home I don't use my Iphone much. My land phone has a perfect speaker option allowing me to not have to hold a handset or use a bluetooth if I want to go hands free a bit.
    LOL I still have two Razors stuck in the pile of old phones stuck back in the drawer,they are still the #1 preferred phone to be exported to India because of their durability,my biggest pet peeve with the I phone is you cannot hold it between you cheek and shoulder while using both hands without it hanging up,and like you say the speakers which I am down to one are worthless.

I dropped it the third day I had it and broke the glass the deductible was $250 and I paid 99c for the phone,but found the glass kit online for $6 and it is still broken 1.5 years later.

Yeah I sold my RAZR for a nice amount surprisingly on Ebay when I switched. The fix for the 'cheek to shoulder' issue is the App called 'Call Guard'. It's FREE or there are similar apps that make the screen completely nil to any touches. You just set it when you know your gonna have a 'cheek to shoulder' call, then just turn it off when done. No more hang ups or muted calls.

Iphones are particularly delicate and the finish is wet-bar-of-soap slippery. I got an Otterbox case immediately for cheap online. It was so bulky it further diminished the already weak speaker capability. Now I use a less bulky Phillips brand case with a built-in stand. Problem solved. Iphones almost always crack when dropped. I've never had it happen cause I use covers.

Richard,

I am still pissed at Verizon for forcing me to put my StarTac to pasture. That was the best cell phone I've ever owned, by far. Nearly everyone I spoke to could not believe I was on a mobile.

NOW? Every conversation is destroyed by "what did you say" or "I didn' get that last part"...and don't get me started on the new voice-enhancement technology they use in schmardphones.

When anyone calls me with either a television or children in the background...I hear all of that as loud as them. When either scream, it becomes like a weapon tearing straight through my skull. I will simply hang up if they don't turn it all down or go into another room.

That is because of the digital voice recognition algorithms, along with the frequency response of the mics and speakers...which to me have gone decades back in quality. The early Bell engineers are likely spinning in their graves.

At the moment, I'm using my girlfriend's old Casio G'zOne. The thing can handle a twenty-foot drop, or submersion in thirty feet of water for a while. It is a big, honky old flip phone. [[no offense intended Honky)

Whenever anyone brings it up in a group, often for fun I'll quickly agree with them that I HAVE to get rid of that old flip phone...and toss it over my shoulder. Then I'll pick it up and use it...while saying if theirs can do the same...I'll buy two.

Then I met the guy who bought the killer military-style case for his iPhone...

Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast