Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default North American Internationa Auto Show

I know some folks were worried that other cities would take away the limelight and introductions of new cars premiering at the NAIAS at Cobo.

Well here's the 2013 Premier lineup that should put that rumor to rest for another year....

-—Acura MDX concept
    — Audi SQ5, R8 and RS5 convertible
    — Bentley GT Speed convertible
    — BMW 4-Series concept, Z4
    — Cadillac ELR
    — Chevrolet Corvette
    — Honda urban SUV concept
    — Hyundai HCD-14 concept
    — Infiniti Q50
    — Kia luxury sedan
    — Lexus IS
    — Lincoln MKC concept
    — Mercedes-Benz E-Class
    — Mini John Cooper Works Paceman
    — Nissan Versa hatchback
    — Tesla concept
    — Toyota Furia concept
    — Volkswagen Passat performance concept

More importantly, some manufacturers who opted out of the past few years have made a return - like Bentley - and companies like Nissan are doubling their space.

The Bentley offering would have been much more logically debuted in LA - which is Bentley's biggest market by a HUGE margin - I seem to recall reading that they sell more there than the rest of the US combined and more than they sell in Europe. So why pick Detroit? The answer comes with the amount of international press coverage. And specifically coverage by high-end international magazines who seem to cover Detroit, Geneva, Tokyo and - increasingly - Shanghai. LA get some coverage in those, but not as much. Chicago might get an occasional mention, but only if there is a major launch. Ditto for NY. Next year, NY will get huge coverage for one reason - the launch of the new Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    ... Next year, NY will get huge coverage for one reason - the launch of the new Mustang
    and the reason theyre launching the new mustang in NY and not in detroit is? anyone? bueller?

that makes absolutely no sense to me...

I believe America's MOST IMPORTANT vehicle [forget about that imported rubbish] is to be released by Ford, your market leader for decades, the mighty F Series Pick Up Truck, 2014 model.

Cheers

PS Once the Falcon and its Ute model is killed off in 2015/6 Ford will have no issue importing the F150's [nee F100] again, i believe they where even built here for a while, inc the Bronco

Quote Originally Posted by Ltdave View Post
    and the reason theyre launching the new mustang in NY and not in detroit is? anyone? bueller?

that makes absolutely no sense to me...
    It's where the original Mustang was introduced 50 years ago -- and on the same date