Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Menard's Opening Soon in Chesterfield Township

If you read the classifieds in your newspaper this morning, you've might've come across an ad that mentions a new Menard's in Chesterfield Township is currently hiring a delivery truck driver. I only came across it today, but it's possibly been around since December 27.

It appears that the Wisconsin-based home improvement warehouse is finally expanding into Metro Detroit, as currently the closest Menard's to Detroit are in Davison, Jackson and Toledo. They already operate several other stores in outstate Michigan, including the aforementioned Davison and Jackson stores.

This should finally give Home Depot and Lowe's some competition in the Detroit market, since the demise of Builder's Square over ten years ago the two chains have pretty much dominated the region. What do you think of Menard's, after years of operating in other parts of the state, finally entering Metro Detroit? There's another thread that mentions the chain also planned on opening in Livonia, is that still happening?

As far as big box stores go, I like them. They have a lot of oddball sort of stuff mixed in with building supplies [[think cheese puffs and toilets).

They also have made in the USA sales and prominently strive to sell products made in the United States.

I heard Warren is getting a Menard's too, at the site of the Van Dyke Sports Center.

I heard you can save big money there.

I've also heard that Menard's is in the process of purchasing part of the property where the Wixom Ford currently stands.

Menards is also being built at i-96 at Middlebelt.

There is also a Mennards off I-69 around Burton Mi and off of I-75 on Wilder Road. Possibly around Saginaw. Great store. I'm glad there is one soon to open in Macomb County.

Anyone know what Menards has to offer better/cheaper/quicker that Lowes or Home Depot? Never been to one.....

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Anyone know what Menards has to offer better/cheaper/quicker that Lowes or Home Depot? Never been to one.....
    Given the choice between Lowe's, Home Depot, or Menard's, my experience has been that prices are generally less at Menard's. Once, i bought shingles for my house. Two weeks later, I was in there and noticed the shingles were now on sale. Menard's gave me credit for the difference even though I bought them before the sale and they were already delivered. I prefer Menard's.

Here is the Menard's website. http://www.menards.com/main/home.html
    Jackson, MI has a Menard's.

wikipedia's take on Menard's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menards

I tend to choose Menards over Home Depot.

According to Crain's, the Menards in Warren has already broken ground. It's going in where the weird golf dome / arcade was, behind the old La Shish.

I've heard that Menard's has this cool system where you can choose from various plans and blueprints - for a deck, for instance - punch in how big you want to make it, and it will print out plans and a BOM of what to buy. Sounds nifty.

Menards seems to carry a lot of items that might qualify as rural customer-related, like pole barn kits. In my experience I preferred going there when I was in the Grand Rapids area [[Comstock Park). They have good sales and lots of rebate forms - there is a giant rack in front with all of them. I also like their lighting selection. Overall, this is good news for consumers - another option to price shop and also a good source for jobs as well.

Well, this is a perfect time to bump this thread, as Menard's has just opened a new store in Port Huron, which is just off of the Lapeer Connector near I-69/I-94. As a result, Saint Clair County residents can now "save big money."

And this is now a thread where you not only discuss your favorite and not-so-favorite things about the Chesterfield Township [[and now Port Huron) Menard's, but also where you can discuss future Menard's locations in the Metro Detroit area.

As for what I have to say, I hope they open one in Southgate, but I think the only suitable site in that city large enough for a Menard's is on Allen Road between Northline and Goddard Roads. At least that one isn't too far off the freeway...
    Last edited by mtburb; July-16-13 at 05:16 PM.

The Menard's in Livonia has an Opening Soon sign and looks to be fully built and in stocking mode. No date on sign yet.

You have to go out Gratiot to New Haven, out Van Dyke to Washington, or out to Lyon Township to find one, but Tractor Supply Company are big box stores full of stuff for garage, shop, barn, or yard.

They [[Menard's) know how to market & move some merchandise.......

Even better, A Menard's will be opened at Livonia.