Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default What are the best black-owned restaurants in Detroit?

Whenever a TV crew or someone from the media rolls into Detroit to check out the food, they always go the newer, hip establishments near greater downtown or they go the ethnic eateries in Mexicantown or Hamtramck.

Of course, Detroit is about 85% black. A true representation of the culinary scene should then be predominately African American, right? So where can an intrepid visitor go to get a taste of "real" Detroit?

Paris Crepes is black-owned. Someone I used to know hipped me to a bunch of black-owned BBQs in Detroit, but I can't remember all the names now. And certainly, the area in and around Eastern Market has some black-owned joints, too.

But I'd love to get a more thorough list. Any help would be mucho appreciated.

I enjoy Petit Zinc near Corktown. I believe that it is run by a man
    from Martinique.

Why do we care about the race of the owners?

I really long for the day where we don't make these distinctions anymore...

Yeah, I had a feeling some people would feel that way, but I don't think there is anything wrong with celebrating the uniqueness of specific cultures. Of course, in the end, we're not that different from each other, but that's no reason to try and whitewash what DOES make us different.

hmm... I suppose it also depends how one defines "best"-- if your taste runs from deli-type places and "dives", or your [[virtually) invite-only/reservation jacket-and-tie type places.. [[as such, do carry-out-only places count? If so, Motor City Soul Food on 7 Mile & Meyers is excellent.)

I think Hour Detroit puts out an annual list of restaurants throughout the region, including plenty from the city..

Sure, carry out counts! Now that I think about, Dutch Girl Donuts just north of 7 on Woodward has some real good baked goods, and that's carry out only.

I've also heard good things about Sweet Potato Sensations in downtown "Old Redford". I need to check that out.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    Yeah, I had a feeling some people would feel that way, but I don't think there is anything wrong with celebrating the uniqueness of specific cultures. Of course, in the end, we're not that different from each other, but that's no reason to try and whitewash what DOES make us different.
    I most certainly don't want to sound like I was offended, I just choose not to have criteria like "black owned" and would instead replace them with another category like "best soul food" or "best authentic African food" or "best African inspired food", or something along those lines. There's a good chance that such an establishment would be black owned, but it wouldn't be an absolute guarantee. It's not the race of the owners that is important, but the food and the experience.

When searching for "black owned" places it makes it sound like you're trying to "support your own". I don't making those distinctions.

Sorry to side-track your conversation here, I just feel strongly about that subject.

What's wrong with trying to support your own?

And for the record, I'm white! "Black-owned" is a clumsy phrase, I know [[imagine if I said "white-owned", lol), but it was just expedient.

What about pizza hut

la-van hawkins burger king???

I really hate responding to this racist post but I can't help it. I get the feeling that most of my generation will go wherever the food is awesome and service is worth patronizing, not based on what the race of the ownership is.

Oh God, classic Metro Detroit, extremely racially segregated, but when the topic of race comes up in a public forum, they can't even believe you'd discuss such a thing. I'm simply curious because I think each culture brings something different to the table when it comes to cuisine [[if I asked for the best Polish-owned restaurants, would anyone care?), and I'd like to know more about what black Detroiters and black suburbanites are doing in the local culinary scene. Is that wrong?

In Melbourne its almost impossible to have a Italian cook a pizza for you.

All the Pizza shops are now owned/run by Lebanese, Chinese and Indian are the cooks

Its a sad day that Italians no longer cook Italian food....

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    I really hate responding to this racist post but I can't help it. I get the feeling that most of my generation will go wherever the food is awesome and service is worth patronizing, not based on what the race of the ownership is.

What is racist about this post? Would it be racist if he asked where is a good Greek, Italian, Japanese, Chinese, etc. etc, owned restaurant? But as soon as somebody asks about something black all of a sudden it's racist.

I really don't understand your motive. Your divisive question is about who the ownership is and not about who is making the food, the quality of food or what kind of food they are making.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    Oh God, classic Metro Detroit, extremely racially segregated, but when the topic of race comes up in a public forum, they can't even believe you'd discuss such a thing. I'm simply curious because I think each culture brings something different to the table when it comes to cuisine [[if I asked for the best Polish-owned restaurants, would anyone care?), and I'd like to know more about what black Detroiters and black suburbanites are doing in the local culinary scene. Is that wrong?

I did say "best", so I specified quality. And I didn't want to ask something stereotypical, like what place makes the best soul food. Maybe a black guy runs the best Polish restaurant in town. I'd find that just as interesting as if it turned out a white guy did the best soul food in Detroit. And we know that there has been some complaints made and articles written about the relative lack of black-owned liquor stores and grocery stores in the city, so it's a socially relevant topic.

Agreed. What is the big deal? I'm black, I'm not offended. I want to know about new culinary possibilities! Especially a place you can sit down and eat... there are lots of grab and go places, but few you can sit and eat in the city.

Who's has tried that new Bistro on Livernois? What is the name?

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    What is racist about this post? Would it be racist if he asked where is a good Greek, Italian, Japanese, Chinese, etc. etc, owned restaurant? But as soon as somebody asks about something black all of a sudden it's racist.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-11-13 at 11:40 AM.

Yes, it is the best for that kind of home style cooking [[carry out). Great greens [[mine sure are not good). Could not recall their name. Portions are big and not too salty!

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    ....Motor City Soul Food on 7 Mile & Meyers is excellent.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-11-13 at 04:38 AM.

Ugh. I stay away from anything Hawkins, especially his so called white table cloth high cuisine joints that were less quality than his Bking joints!

Great food and summer fun:
    Berts!
    He's fixture in Eastern Market... great food and drinks. No muss, not fuss!
    2727 Russell St, Detroit, MI

Great breakfast when you're not counting calories:
    New Center Eatery
    Best chicken and waffles. Nicely breaded wings. Not from frozen. Great oatmeal with almonds.
    3100 W. Grand Blvd, Detroit, MI
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-11-13 at 11:40 AM.

Really don't any of you have lives?

What is the point of blowing this up? If someone asked about polish-owned places or greek owned coney islands I would suspect you would be contributing more than just snark. Don't get me wrong snark can be fun, but in this case its pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Who's has tried that new Bistro on Livernois? What is the name?
    1917 American Bistro. Livernois near 7 Mile Rd.
    Dave plays there about once a month with the LL7 Latin Jazz Machine. He hasn't tried the food, but the place is always packed!! Other musicians we know are also playing there....it is becoming the place to be!
    http://www.1917americanbistro.com

I always liked Louisiana Creole Gumbo on Gratiot for take out. I haven't been there in awhile though. I heard awhile back they were opening another location. Did that ever happen?

Thanks K! I hear they have the greatest dinner rolls. Just what I need ---- !

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    1917 American Bistro. Livernois near 7 Mile Rd.
    Dave plays there about once a month with the LL7 Latin Jazz Machine. He hasn't tried the food, but the place is always packed!! Other musicians we know are also playing there....it is becoming the place to be!
    http://www.1917americanbistro.com

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    I always liked Louisiana Creole Gumbo on Gratiot for take out. I haven't been there in awhile though. I heard awhile back they were opening another location. Did that ever happen?
    Their new location is at the Rosa Parks Transit Center.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast