Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Long time Detroit soup kitchen to close

Just got news that the soup kitchen at ETS [[Ecumenical Theological Seminary) which operates at the old First Presbyterian Church on Woodward will close soon. The kitchen has been in operation since 1993 at that location and served 300 hot meals to the homeless and needy on days of operation. It was supported and staffed by a collection of both urban and suburban churches during the program years and very popular with local folks. Apparently, however, there have been several incidents in recent weeks concerning "collection agents" [[drug pushers), showing up at the church looking for clients who owe them money. The threatening situation has prompted the program organizers to fear for the safety of both patrons and staff and sadly, forced them to shut down the kitchen service. Another black eye for the inner-city. Sad!

Indeed, it is sad. However, a few points. First, that's not exactly the inner-city. While the area has many low income residents, it's part of the downtown/midtown corridor. Second, I have a feeling there is something beyond what is being said here. As an organization serving the area for 20 years, I'm sure they have constantly dealt with security issues. After 20 years of fulfilling a mission with so many challenges, why suddenly give up? I suspect there may be other issues involved in coming to this decision -- funding... leadership changes... who knows?

other issues: gentrification. hope I am wrong. reminds me of brothers being moved out of homeless cafe they ran on Washington Blvd at State across from the Book Cadillac/Weston. Homeless possibly being pushed out of city center to outer ring so more development can happen downtown/midtown.