Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Link to a George Jackson Interview...[[MLIVE)

Regarding the Tiger Stadium site:

We’re working with the Parade Company as we speak, but at the same time the proof is in the pudding. But at the same time, we’re open to a mixed use; we’re open to a compromise.
    That told me absolutely nothing, lol..

Mostly rhetoric. Little substance.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulieG63 View Post
    Great to see we have such a simpering, mealy-mouthed, suburban buffoon charged with leading our city's economic growth! I was afraid things could change around here.

Tiger Stadium was never even a big passion of mine or anything. I just think the guy is clearly retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Great to see we have such a simpering, mealy-mouthed, suburban buffoon charged with leading our city's economic growth! I was afraid things could change around here.

Tiger Stadium was never even a big passion of mine or anything. I just think the guy is clearly retarded.
    George Jackson is no friend to many on this forum... and his place of residence is of no consequence to anyone else one this forum...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    George Jackson is no friend to many on this forum... and his place of residence is of no consequence to anyone else one this forum...
    I think it is of consequence. If there was somebody in charge of Manhattan's Economic Growth Corporation, I doubt they'd pick somebody who lives in Levitttown.

Extremely tired of the 'he/she doesn't live in the city' argument. Divisive and meaningless. Like him or not Jackson lives in Michigan. I live in Michigan. Poobert, you live in Michigan. We are all in this together and as Detroit goes, Michigan goes. End of argument. Try being part of the solution instead of being part of the problem by perpetuating that train of thought. Suburbanites are not the enemy of Detroiters and Detroiters are not the enemy of suburbanites. If anything, let's team up against OHIO!
    Last edited by dmike76; January-11-13 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    Extremely tired of the 'he/she doesn't live in the city' argument. Divisive and meaningless. Like him or not Jackson lives in Michigan. I live in Michigan. Poobert, you live in Michigan. We are all in this together and as Detroit goes, Michigan goes. End of argument. Try being part of the solution instead of being part of the problem by perpetuating that train of thought. Suburbanites are not the enemy of Detroiters and Detroiters are not the enemy of suburbanites. If anything, let's team up against OHIO!
    Look, it's not about that. I support Duggan, for example. However I think if you're really, really, calling the shots in the [[or any) city, for example, being the mayor, police chief, or president of the economic growth corporation, you should live there. Or by your logic someone who doesn't live in the city at all should be able to run for and hold the office of mayor?

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    I'd like to continue living in the city, but would like to run for elected office in whatever suburb you live in. We're all in this together, even if I don't live in or own a home in your town. I'm not your enemy! So please help me get elected to your town's government so I can start making decisions that benefit all of us, such as revenue-sharing, service consolidation and regional taxes on growth.

The point is this man is the head of the DETROIT ECONOMIC GROWTH CORPORATION. If you're going to talk the talk, then walk the walk and live in the city you are supposedly developing.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    The point is this man is the head of the DETROIT ECONOMIC GROWTH CORPORATION. If you're going to talk the talk, then walk the walk and live in the city you are supposedly developing.
    I'm all for residency requirements... but how did that work out for the current mayor??
    Last edited by Gistok; January-11-13 at 07:44 PM.

Your missing the point, Gistok. I said nothing about a residency requirement. Just saying as the lead development officer for the city, it would be nice -- and send a strong message -- if he also chose to live in the city.

If I am a grunt on the line and Ford, and I choose to drive a Chevy, no big deal. But if I am the CEO or Ford, I better be driving a Ford.
    Last edited by downtownguy; January-12-13 at 01:42 PM.

I would agree there is a definite lack of lead by example within the city but is not DEGC a public private organization?

Since most of what DEGC does is funded by public tax dollars, the same principles would apply.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Your missing the point, Gistok. I said nothing about a residency requirement. Just saying as the lead development officer for the city, it would be nice -- and send a strong message -- if he also chose to live in the city.
    Gotcha...

I think the ultimate in hypocrisy was when the president of Detroit Renaissance... the organization that was supposed to drum up business for Detroit... moved his company's HQ to Dallas... Comerica Bank....

Gotcha...

I think the ultimate in hypocrisy was when the president of Detroit Renaissance... the organization that was supposed to drum up business for Detroit... moved his company's HQ to Dallas... Comerica Bank....
    One can love Detroit, and still see the need for relocation. I don't see the hypocrisy.

As to where George Jackson lives... why focus on such a small thing. It doesn't matter. The questions are whether he loves the city, and whether he's working in the best interest of the region.

Beyond that...relax.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    One can love Detroit, and still see the need for relocation. I don't see the hypocrisy.
    I think it would be more like putting Gerard Depardieu in charge of the French Internal Revenue Service....

I think the residency of George Jackson does matter. If he is the head of a organization that focuses on development in the city of Detroit, then he should live here. However, it's a small issue compared to his lack of vision and reign as head of the DEGC. The Tiger Stadium site debacle is enough for me to say this guy is not right for the job. This whole thing with the Parade Company wanting to build on the site is ludicrous. The fact that he doesn't get how sacred the site is to many Metro Detroiters is the nail in the coffin for me. He has got to go.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    I think the residency of George Jackson does matter. If he is the head of a organization that focuses on development in the city of Detroit, then he should live here. However, it's a small issue compared to his lack of vision and reign as head of the DEGC. The Tiger Stadium site debacle is enough for me to say this guy is not right for the job. This whole thing with the Parade Company wanting to build on the site is ludicrous. The fact that he doesn't get how sacred the site is to many Metro Detroiters is the nail in the coffin for me. He has got to go.
    I was with the Parade Company for years. This was during more lucrative years in Detroit, and their financing was always on shaky ground. Unless I'm missing something, I find it unusual that they now have enough cash flow to construct a Parade Company specific building. There are hundreds of empty warehouse like buildings throughout the City, in good condition, that could be revamped more cost effectively to meet their needs. Something doesn't seem right about this.